v6.1.6.1 vs v6.1.7.1

cfgr

System: W7 pro 32b 4 Gb RAM intel core-2 + sat card Technisat BDA Digital Tuner. DVBViewer v6.1.6.1 works just perfect! After installation of version v6.1.7.1 i don't get a stable image anymore. All garbled up.

Went back to version v6.1.6.1 and all is perfect again. What could be the case why the latest version doesn't work as expected? Help wanted. 

UPDATE: installed the v6.1.7.2 on a W10 Pro (64bit) machine (16GB RAM) and it works perfectly, as expected. So i re-installed the v6.1.6.1 on the W7 machine and now both are working again flawlessy. :-) 

TechniSat BDA Digital Tuner

This is a TechniSat SkyStar 2 PCI with BDA driver. I can find no difference in the relevant 6.1.6.1 and 6.1.7.2 code that could explain the issue with the new version.

However, the BDA driver is not the best choice for this ancient PCI card. The driver doesn't allow DVBViewer to use all the SkyStar 2 capabilities, particularly hardware PID filtering that reduces the PCI bus traffic and the probability of drop outs significantly.

I would rather install the network (NDIS) driver (SkyNET.sys, originally designed for internet via satellite), that is well supported in DVBViewer. Im using it for the successor SkyStar S2 PCI under Windows 7 64 bit without any trouble up to now.  It requires uninstalling (plus deleting) the BDA driver -> reboot -> run start.exe from the (unpacked) Technisat 4.6 driver and software setup. After the installation is done (including TechniSat software and components, that DVBViewer needs for connecting to the network driver) your card will appear in the network adapter section of the device manager. If you want to be on the safe side, create a system restore point before installing the stuff, so that you can easily return to the previous state.

Finally you can uninstall the DVBViewer TE version (TechniSat Edition) and remove Setup4PC / Server4PC from the autostart. This tool is only needed for internet via satellite and usually gets into trouble with Windows 7 access rights, causing useless error messages (something with database...).

Ok, Thanks Griga for the great reply. Will try your suggestions and uninstall the BDA driver and replace it by the NDIS version. As usual, i allways make system wide images before altering or (re)installing anything. :-)  I keep you updated on the results and findings.

C

On 10/12/2020 at 10:56 AM, Griga said:

Good luck :)  After the driver change it is necessary to perform "Scan Devices" in DVBViewer -> Settings -> Options -> Hardware.

I don't easily give up, so i re-installed a clean W7 Pro 32bit O.S., the needed hardware drivers for the sat card and a completely clean DVBViewer v6.1.7.2. Now it seems to work perfectly,  except for 1 error during installation: i get Download Error 0 / 12029. Any idea what didn't download here and how to fix this?

8 minutes ago, cfgr said:

i get Download Error 0 / 12029. Any idea what didn't download here and how to fix this?

No, because I don't know what you have selected for download.

12029 is an error code (ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT) and may be caused by the Windows Defender.