Running DVBViewer and Media Server on vmware

Carsten Johansson

Hi

I running now DVBViewer and Media Server on a Windows 10 desktop machine.

It works greate and is easy for me to recording the tv show with my USB Technotrend TT-connect CT2-4650 CI.

Before that I did use tvheadend and it was ok but did have a little problem sometime.

Before that I did try to run tvheadend in my vmware server with ubuntu but that was not so good.
Not sure why but it did not work when I trying to use the USB TV-card with tvheadend and vmware.

My question is does anyone run DVBViewer (and maybe Media server) on vmware and it works?

I do like to have one machine and not now two.

Hi,

i am not familiar with VMWare since I use Parallels for more than 5 years on a daily base here, but I assume the behavior is similar. The DVBViewer and Media Server do work fine within all of my virtualized systems.

Christian 

• Like 1

Hi Carsten,

Just now I'm trying to transfer my DMS from the Windows-desktop to the MacMini 2012 (MacOS) using VMWARE. Basically it's working properly - but with flaws.

My configuration:

SAT-IP: Octopus Net with 4 DVB-C tuner - lan

MacOS (Catalina) with VMWARE Fusion 12 - Windows 10 Pro Vers 20H2 - lan.

The problems that i had to face are many discontinuities when recording. I found here in the forum a thread about "errors and Octopus Net" and following their aid I generated a second virtuell NIC in VMWARE. Reduced in Windows the Bitrate from 1000M to 100M, no changing. Might be that another DVB-Source than Octopus would be working better and with your configuration there are no errors. So give it a try.

I'm still trying to improve my situation and any hint for improvement wouldn't go amiss.???

Michael

• Like 1

Nice to hear.

Then I going to try it when I get my server home.

Just a little fun to see in the "Requirements" section that it say Windows 98 and above. It was long time ago I did use Windows 98 :D

I better update it. The minimum was XP, even if I was able to test it under Windows 2k while deactivating some effects a couple of years ago.

May I ask where the requirements you mentioned are located? I found one In the old attempt of the manual. Windows 95 is not officially supported, but should run. Gosh - this has been written a while ago :)

using DVBViewer in a virtual environment is somewhat tricky. This is true for Microsoft's Hyper-V and for others too (I don't use VMWare, so I cannot be totally sure, but the problems will be the same somehow).

The biggest Problem arises from the sharing of a Network Adapter from the Host system with the virtual guests. Of course this will generate race conditions and the basic design is for functionality not for quality of service. It is almost impossible to produce a constant data rate (that is needed for a recording without dropouts) in this environment.

Spend 10 bucks and add a seperate LAN Adapter for the VMs only.

There are some adapters ( not in the 10 buck range of course ) which provide special driver supports for VMs, you can easily select them in the driver settings like this one for instance.HyperV.thumb.jpg.6e13b8c1340329805c858aef4e063139.jpg

Of course, this is just a predefined profile which can be manually fine-tuned. But it works a lot smoother than the usual card settings (there are other profiles for Fileserver,Webservers and so on).

Hyper-V has another evil Glitch (I don't know if this the same for VM, but you may try a look into this direction): it generally uses only 10% of the Adapter's Bandwith in a VM ? 10Gbe LANS go down to 1Gbe (1Gbe and below are not affected because the emulated switch is always 10Gbe). LAN can start to stutter then.

Under normal conditions, you don't notice this, transfers will work, but with low throughput and heavy jumps in transmission rates. Video stuff is killed here.

To avoid it, do what told above: a) use seperate adapters and b) consider buying "real" (not "Realtek" ? ) Network cards. I have used DMS successfully for many years in a VM running on an HP Proliant server with lots of everything (Ram, CPU and LAN Adapters).

Windows 10 Desktop is not really a serious host for running critical VMs.  The OS favours foreground Tasks and slows down Background things like VMs. Windows Server is better for this (opposite preferences).

• 4 weeks later...

Finally I got it to work, not on the MacMini - might be not powerful enough - but on my homeserver with VMWare workstation player 12 running under Ubuntu 20.04. Now its working properly - almost no discont.

• 2 months later...
Am 16.11.2020 um 07:20 schrieb MaM:

using DVBViewer in a virtual environment is somewhat tricky. This is true for Microsoft's Hyper-V and for others too (I don't use VMWare, so I cannot be totally sure, but the problems will be the same somehow).

The biggest Problem arises from the sharing of a Network Adapter from the Host system with the virtual guests. Of course this will generate race conditions and the basic design is for functionality not for quality of service. It is almost impossible to produce a constant data rate (that is needed for a recording without dropouts) in this environment.

Spend 10 bucks and add a seperate LAN Adapter for the VMs only.

There are some adapters ( not in the 10 buck range of course ) which provide special driver supports for VMs, you can easily select them in the driver settings like this one for instance.HyperV.thumb.jpg.6e13b8c1340329805c858aef4e063139.jpg

Of course, this is just a predefined profile which can be manually fine-tuned. But it works a lot smoother than the usual card settings (there are other profiles for Fileserver,Webservers and so on).

Hyper-V has another evil Glitch (I don't know if this the same for VM, but you may try a look into this direction): it generally uses only 10% of the Adapter's Bandwith in a VM ? 10Gbe LANS go down to 1Gbe (1Gbe and below are not affected because the emulated switch is always 10Gbe). LAN can start to stutter then.

Under normal conditions, you don't notice this, transfers will work, but with low throughput and heavy jumps in transmission rates. Video stuff is killed here.

To avoid it, do what told above: a) use seperate adapters and b) consider buying "real" (not "Realtek" ? ) Network cards. I have used DMS successfully for many years in a VM running on an HP Proliant server with lots of everything (Ram, CPU and LAN Adapters).

Windows 10 Desktop is not really a serious host for running critical VMs.  The OS favours foreground Tasks and slows down Background things like VMs. Windows Server is better for this (opposite preferences).

Hi MaM,

i'm trying to passthrough my Digital Devices S2 under Windows Server 2019 to a W10 VM with no success at all. 

How did you do that?

What TV Card are you using?