TBS-5990 Dual S2 one tuner at a time only ?

Traction Tim

Hi all,

I have just moved this TBS-5990 from my TV-Mosaic server, where it was working fairly well, but that software is now end of line and is beginning to have issues. I attached it to my more powerful main server with DVBViewer freshly installed (Only for viewing FTA channels).

DVBViewer can see both halves of the 5990 in Devices. I know that tuner "A" is connected to a dish pointing at 28.2E and "B" is connected to a different dish pointing to 13E.

So with DVBViewer I scanned the "A" tuner and all is well. Then I tried the "B" tuner, but I realised I had no way of selecting the "B" tuner and it didn't work. Unfortunately at this time I also installed the media server which I think complicated things.

In the settings/options hardware I unticked "Use device A", and then tried a scan of "B" which worked. I then enabled "A" and could view 28.2E channels. However if I try to view a 13E channel I get a black screen. If I disable the "A" tuner in settings, then the 13E channel instantly appears on the screen.

Have I set something set up wrong here ? Should DVBViewer simply be able to look at the other satellite tuner when I choose a program from the list ? Or is this a limitation of the TBS-5990 with DVBViewer - I know it used to work correctly with TVMosaic before that stopped working ?

I'm hoping this is a Noob error, but have already tried the 1.0.0.7 and 1.0.0.6 drivers from the TBS website to no avail. Any ideas ?

If you need to bind channels to a certain tuner/dish, you have to use channel groups:

• In DVBViewer go to TV/Radio -> Channel Editor. Select the root/category folder where your Astra 28.2E channels are located. Make sure that channel group A (default) is selected on the right side. Click Apply.
  • Select the root/category folder where your Hotbird 13E channels are located. Select channel group B on the right side. Click Apply.
  • Click the disk symbol at the bottom to save the changes (which will let the Media Server 3.0 or later automatically load the changed channel list).
  • Go to Settings -> Options -> Hardware. Select the tuner that is connected to the Astra 28.2E dish and untick all channel groups except A.
  • Select the tuner that is connected to the Hotbird 13E dish and untick all channel groups except B.

In this way you can let DVBViewer use the tuner that is connected to the Astra 28.2E for group A channels, and the tuner that is connected to the Hotbird 13E dish for group B channels. If the Media Server is involved, you have to set it up in the DMS options (svcoptions.exe) -> Hardware accordingly.