Timeshift is messed up in v7.1

a_edwall

The timeshift feature is messed up in v7.1. It worked fine in v6.1.4. In v6.1.4 when I clicked on the timeshift icon to the left of the Record icon, I got a message telling me "Playing (Timeshifted)". And when I stopped the timeshifting, my timeshift file was saved in the folder I specified.

But with v7.1, clicking the Timeshift icon does NOT tell me that timeshift is on. And when I stop the timeshift, the timeshift file is erased and I have nothing to play back for what I timeshifted. This is a serious problem. I lost a complete show I was timeshifting because the file got wiped out. This effectively makes v7.1 garbage and not usable. Why break something that was working perfectly fine?

Can anyone explain what is going on and why v7.1 does not work like v6.1.4? Thank you.

First of all, after a change of the major version number (6 -> 7) please don't expect that everything is working exactly as before, because there may be conceptual changes. So when updating a 6.x version to 7.x it is a good idea to have a look at the 7.0 change log / release notes, particularly the section about timeshift, in order to get informed about what you are dealing with. The release notes are also available in the DVBViewer help menu.

2 hours ago, a_edwall said:

In v6.1.4 when I clicked on the timeshift icon to the left of the Record icon, I got a message telling me "Playing (Timeshifted)".

"Playing (Timeshifted)" is obviously wrong, if playback is still going on at the live position. This has been fixed.

2 hours ago, a_edwall said:

And when I stop the timeshift, the timeshift file is erased and I have nothing to play back for what I timeshifted.

Automatic timeshift file erasure is (and was) the default behaviour in all DVBViewer versions. However, the "Keep Timeshift File" item in the TV/Radio menu enables to keep timeshift recordings. This is still the case, but with one major difference: In 6.x version this was a permanent global setting. In 7.x version it is a "per recording" flag, specifying the recording status of the currently played channel. Please read more about it in the release notes.

If you want DVBViewer 7.x to never erase timeshift recordings, please launch Tweaker.exe (see DVBViewer program directory) and search for "timeshift", in order to find timeshift-related expert settings, particularly "Delete timeshift files automatically". Please note that timeshift files must be deleted outside DVBViewer if this option is switched off, so that they do not fill up the whole hard disk over time. It is recommendable to configure a separate timeshift recording folder for facilitating it (see Options -> Recordings).

Thank you for your response. I did review the release notes for Timeshift, but did not see anything pertinent. There was mention of this:

the "Keep Timeshift File" item in the TV/Radio menu

but there is no checkbox or other control in my version. Am I blind? Or just ignorant? See attached graphic.

I changed the TweaksPro.ini file to this:

[248]
Section=Recorder
Ident=DelTimeshiftFiles
Type=Boolean
Default=0
Caption=Delete timeshift files automatically
CaptionG=Timeshift-Dateien automatisch löschen
Description=Lets DVBViewer delete timeshift files automatically (e.g. on a channel change). PLEASE NOTE that timeshift files must be deleted outside DVBViewer if this option is switched off, so that they do not fill up the whole hard disk over time. It is recommendable to configure a separate timeshift recording folder for facilitating it (see Options -> Recordings). 
DescriptionG=Veranlasst den DVBViewer, Timeshift-Dateien automatisch zu löschen (z.B. bei einem Senderwechsel). ZU BEACHTEN ist, dass Timeshift-Dateien außerhalb des DVBViewers gelöscht werden müssen, wenn diese Option ausgeschaltet ist, damit die Festplatte nicht mit der Zeit vollläuft. Um dies zu erleichtern, ist es empfehlenswert, einen separaten Ordner für Timeshift-Aufnahmen zu konfigurieren (siehe Optionen -> Aufnahmen).

and it still does not save my timeshifted file. I will stick with v6.14 - it works - the way things should.

Screenshot_1.jpg

25 minutes ago, a_edwall said:

the "Keep Timeshift File" item in the TV/Radio menu, but there is no checkbox or other control in my version

TV/Radio MENU, not options:

Zwischenablage01.png

26 minutes ago, a_edwall said:

I changed the TweaksPro.ini file to this:

Don't! In this way you just mess the file up without any effect on DVBViewer.

1 hour ago, Griga said:

If you want DVBViewer 7.x to never erase timeshift recordings, please launch Tweaker.exe (see DVBViewer program directory)

Please read more carefully.