Several copies of images

McenterFreak

I was cleaning up my Media Server, copying all .jpg files to another harddisc
When looking at the copy some strange things showed up:
When looking at 

"\ProgramData\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\CMUV\DVBViewer\images\Thumbs\Recordings"

there was a lot of .jgp files. When adding another Appliication Data to the path, more .jgp files where there too

"\ProgramData\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\CMUV\DVBViewer\images\Thumbs\Recordings"

And again and again adding another \Application Data\ to the path, more .jpg files:DVBViewer.thumb.PNG.a9a61919c4eeaa4f785b365df6a659cf.PNG

Above you se how the copy looks, but it is the same on the c drive on the Media Server

Totally it is about 160.000 files

Anybody know whats wrong, and how to clean up, without getting in to trouble with Media Server?

Edited by McenterFreak

I assume you used a wrong way to copy files. Or are there really those subfolders also in your C:\ProgramData structure?

On system drive there are symbolic links to other folders that look like real folders in explorer. You must set your copy tool to not follow symbolic links or you can get into a recursion loop. I often use "robocopy" command in batch file where I have to add "/xj" parameter to do it without recursion.

How did you copy files to backup drive exactly?

40 minutes ago, HaraldL said:

I assume you used a wrong way to copy files. Or are there really those subfolders also in your C:\ProgramData structure?

The subfolders are also on the C drive

On system drive there are symbolic links to other folders that look like real folders in explorer. You must set your copy tool to not follow symbolic links or you can get into a recursion loop. I often use "robocopy" command in batch file where I have to add "/xj" parameter to do it without recursion.

How did you copy files to backup drive exactly?

Robocopy c:\ I:\ *.jpg /e /r:0

As I assumed, add "/xj" to the end of the robocopy command. But even then the next robocopy with /xj will not delete the already existing useless folders on dest drive. You have to delete the previous backup yourself before you backup again with /xj to get a clean copy.

Enter "robocopy /? | more" for all params.