Utitilising Elecard Plug-ins in DVBViewer

KurSve

Hello,

I've been a happy and loyal DVBViewer user since 2013, I know enough to get by, wrangling it, to achieve my objectives, but the technicalities are way beyond my pay grade these days, and I am a permanent "newbie".

I've heard good things about Elecard plugins for display rendering, and as an experiment, I have installed trial versions of:

1. Elecard MPEG-2 PlugIn 6.0

2. Elecard AVC PlugIn 4. 0
3. Elecard AVC PlugIn for ProgDVB 4.0

The x64 versions were installed (my system is Windows 7 x64 SP1+). The plugins were installed in a system, where DVBViewer was already installed and configured.

There were no Elecard plugins visible in the options, as far as I am aware, and understand things, for instance:

-> Options -> Playback Components -> Render/Decoder -> Video A -> MPEG-2 Video Decoder:

<system default>
* ffd video decoder

* LAV video decoder

* Microsoft DTS-DVD video decoder

I also deinstalled (keeping settings) and re-installed DVBViewer, and that did not render any Elecard components visible.

Am I totally barking up the wrong tree?

Any assistance most gratefully apprised.

Thank you.

5 minutes ago, KurSve said:

The x64 versions were installed (my system is Windows 7 x64 SP1+).

DVBViewer is a 32 bit application that can only use 32 bit (x86) components.

• Thanks 1

@[b]Griga[/b]:

Bingo! - To paraphrase Maxwell Smart: "[i]Ah, the old 32 bit trick![/i]) :)

I should have clocked that myself, from plugin wrangling with Total Commander.

Thank you.

Following on - I deinstalled the x64 MPEG-2 plugin, and installed the x86 (32 bit) version, and it became visible to DVBViewer 7.1.1.0 (installed on Windows 7 x64 SP1+)

The trial mode of the Elecard MPEG-2 plugin displays a watermark, but I purchased a key for it and activated it fully in the "Elecard Registrator", so the behaviour I have observed on my system is not trial watermark related.

I use DVBViewer in Australia, and what I have observed with DBViewer 7.1.1.0 when:

Options -> Playback Components -> Render/Decoder -> Video A -> MPEG-2 Video Decoder: Elecard MPEG-2 Video Decoder

Is that there are a lot of "Plaid Fabric (rectangular | square grids)" artifacts that tend to fill the lower half the screen, sometimes they go away layer by layer back to picture perfect, sometimes they persist, and it manifests on all SD (576p)  channels, and remanifests (if it has subsided), on changing to another channel.

This behaviour is not manifest on the HD (1080p) television channels, nor when switching between HD channels (it uses a different decoder, I also have Elecard AVC, in paid activated mode,  installed, and it is fine for the H.264 Decoder.

If this rings any ones's bell, I'd be most obliged for advice, before hitting Elecard technical support.

I realise this is problem report is not best placed in the Newbie sub-forum, for which I apologise, Moderators do please feel welcome to move it accordingly.

Thank you.

7 Sydney Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 07-28 20-14-19.jpg

For what you've paid you additionally get some modern art. That's quite fair, isn't it? :)

The recommended decoders for DVBViewer are the FFmpeg based LAV Filters. They are free and provide excellent quality. So what I would do:

• Check if the LAV video decoder for MPEG2 shows the same or a similar issue.
  • Check if the DVBViewer Filter property page reports discontinuities (missing data packets) in the incoming stream.
  • Check if hardware accelerated decoding (DXVA provided by the graphics card) is a relevant factor. It can be switched on/off on the property page of the LAV video decoder. See DVBViewer -> Settings -> Filters when the decoder is used. Select None or DXVA2 (native) in the "Hardware Decoder to use" dropdown list, click OK and perform Playback -> Rebuild Playback in DVBViewer to let the change take effect. Since I'm not familiar with recent versions of the Elecard decoder, I don't know if it ues DXVA and how it can be changed.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Griga.

0. Yes, a bonus "Easter Egg". :)
1. The LAV/MPEG-2 Video Decoder is fine.

2. Zero discontinuities.
3. There was hardware acceleration options for Elecard MPEG-2, cycles through -> Off -> Native -> Copy-Back, each with Playback rebuilds, and there wasn't any significant difference, as far as I could tell.

Most curious.

Thank you for your assistance.