Digibit Twin Sat-ip server, only one tuner works.

JerryC

DVBViewer Pro 7.1.1.0 and Telestar Digibit Twin Sat-IP server (Firmware Version: 1.0.8).

The server has two tuners, and I managed the program to work with tuner n. 1, no success with tuner n.2.

Two tuners are detected in Hardware Devices, the settings are exactly the same:

150036784_DigibitTwin.JPG.2095382c6983845e2faf5bd11d2d0b74.JPG

I first suspected a hardware failure, so I returned the tuner and ordered another one: same result.

support.zip

Thank you in advance.

Please reproduce the problem in DVBViewer Debug Mode, as recommended here (by setting the first tuner to "Use device off") so that server error messages appear in the DVBViewer.log, and attach another support.zip.

So I switched off the first tuner, clicked on Apply and plugged the sat cable into tuner n. 2:

1386569919_dvbviewerdebugmode.JPG.050c1f5852abf639129aad3eddfc685f.JPG

Closed DVBViewer and opened it again in Debug mode.

Closed DVBViewer once more and run the support tool.

Hoping I 've done it well.

support.zip

The DVBViewer.log shows no errors.

14 minutes ago, JerryC said:

and plugged the sat cable into tuner n. 2

Only one antenna input of the Digibit Twin is connected? For using two tuners both must get a signal. There are two network devices in the DVBViewer device list because the Digibit Twin reported two available tuners. However, if one of them isn't connected, only one tuner can be used.

Today I connected Astra 19E on tuner 1 and Hotbird 13E on tuner 2; no DiseqC involved, only one sat per cable.

Tuner 1 works. Tuner 2 does not work, but it seems to receive signal and to read the EPG of the channel.

If I hover with the mouse pointer on the signal bar, it shows that tuner 1 is involved, but this channel is on Hotbird, connected to tuner 2.

206530196_rai1.JPG.672f5f9513e43a4f70d35544b67b088e.JPG

I've repeated the test and uploaded the support file.

The server has two red leds for each tuner: I've tried multiple settings, but I have only managed to turn the tuner 1 led on.

Maybe there is something wrong in my channel list?

support.zip

Edited by JerryC
12 hours ago, JerryC said:

Today I connected Astra 19E on tuner 1 and Hotbird 13E on tuner 2; no DiseqC involved, only one sat per cable.

It doesn't work this way, unless you take special measures:

• Establish a fixed assignment of the RTSP Network Devices in DVBViewer to the Digibit Twin tuners by using the Sat>IP frontend (fe) parameter. By default such an asignment doesn't exist, which means, that any RTSP Network Device in DVBViewer can be connected to  any tuner in the Sat>IP server.
  • Establish a fixed assignment of channels from your channel list to the RTSP Network Devices by using channel groups.

Neither the Digibit Twin nor DVBViewer know which channels can be received with which tuner/device. How could they? They have no information about it. You have to tell them!

If you want to stay with this unusual setup, I will give further instructions. However, the proper way to do it is using two Quattro LNBs and a DiSEqC switch, in order to make both satellite positions available to both tuners.

After digging the manual (very little info in german language) and observing the pictures, now I understand that this device is normally used with a twin LNB.

digibit.JPG.2fa9ee33c47071a77619d96c2358e45d.JPG

If there is only one user, one input is needed. With two users and two sat inputs, probably the second tuner kicks in when the first tuner is busy and a different transponder is requested by the second user. I won't test this setup by now.

Tuner n.1 also works with DiseqC. My only minor complaint about this device is that the DVBViewer signal bar is at 50% when only one tuner is connected.

I'm pretty sure it will work with a Quattro LNB, but I'm interested in this setup by now.

However, I will be very pleased if you could explain this to me:

On 8/20/2021 at 10:20 PM, Griga said:
  • Establish a fixed assignment of the RTSP Network Devices in DVBViewer to the Digibit Twin tuners by using the Sat>IP frontend (fe) parameter. By default such an asignment doesn't exist, which means, that any RTSP Network Device in DVBViewer can be connected to  any tuner in the Sat>IP server.
  • Establish a fixed assignment of channels from your channel list to the RTSP Network Devices by using channel groups.

Thank you very much for your support.

16 minutes ago, JerryC said:

If there is only one user, one input is needed. With two users and two sat inputs, probably the second tuner kicks in when the first tuner is busy and a different transponder is requested by the second user.

DVBViewer is able to use two or more tuners at the same time, e.g. for TV  in the main window and a channel from a different transponder as "Picture in Picture", or for recording channel X while watching channel Y. Your setup with separate Astra/Hotbird input limits these capabilities to receiving one Astra and one Hotbird channel at the same time. Two Astra channels or two Hotbird channels from different transponders are impossible, unless you let both dishes point to the same satellite position.

Anyway, here is what you have to do for using one tuner for Astra (let's say the first one) and the other one for Hotbird:

• Go to the configuration folder and open the file hardware.xml with a text editor while DVBViewer is closed.
  • Add a line <entry name="Frontend">1</entry> to the section for the first RTSPNetwork Device.
  • Add a line <entry name="Frontend">2</entry> to the section for the second RTSPNetwork Device.
  • Save the changes.

This binds the RTSP Network Devices to the specified Digibit tuner (hoping that the Digibit supports the frontend parameter). Now you have to bind all Astra channels to the first and all Hotbird channels to the seconds RTSP Network Device:

• Launch DVBViewer and go to TV/Radio -> Channel Editor.
  • Select the root folder that contains all Astra channels. Make sure that Channel Group A (default) is selected on the right side and click the corresponding Apply button.
  • Select the root folder that contains all Hotbird channels. Select Channel Group B on the right side and click the corresponding Apply button.
  • Go to Settings -> Options -> Hardware and select the first RTSP Network Device in the device list. Uncheck B in the Channel Groups field, thus telling DVBViewer that is shall not use this device for Hotbird channels.
  • Select the seconds RTSP Network Device in the device list. Uncheck A In the Channel Groups field, thus telling DVBViewer that is shall not use this device for Astra channels.
  • Click Apply and try...

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I don't really know where to ask my question and if I can see it is about the same device that I, just today, got on.

I only use 1 F-connector of the device, not both as my LNB is a single.

So my question, I connect RJ45, power, and F-connector to the device. All the lights shine and power and Ethernet stay on. For the Tuner lights they blink and stay on for a while after which they don't light at all. Both don't. I sometimes plug one F-connector into tuner 1 and then once into tuner 2,... no result.

What am I doing wrong?

Gunther.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pPrdKqauCuQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>