EPG auto update in full version

eleijen

Hello,

have been using DVB RS for years in the SAT age. Now exploring the DVB MS for another usecase; I have a Gigablue DVB-C FBC receiver, so 8 tuners (Enigma2 based) in house. My usecase is that I want to use DVB MS as Client for the Gigablue device and make independant recordings in DVB MS, sourced from the Gigablue.

I dropped the Enigma2 M3U8 to the DVBV channeleditor and indeed I see all channels and can watch them.

My question is: EPG is only visible in DVB MS for a specific channel when I have watched that specific channel. When I buy the full version, will DVB MS then scrape all channels for EPG? 

Thanks,

Erik.

vor einer Stunde schrieb eleijen:

I dropped the Enigma2 M3U8 to the DVBV channeleditor and indeed I see all channels and can watch them.

Which protocol does the Enigma2 use? How do the URLs in the M3U8 look like? HTTP? RTSP? Is the Enigma2 able to work as Sat>IP server?

Hi, SATIP seems to be troublesome on the gigablue

Here is a part of the m3u8 file:

#EXTM3U 
#EXTVLCOPT--http-reconnect=true
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-chno="14010" tvg-logo="http://192.168.123.154/picon/npo1hd.png" tvg-id="1:0:19:36BA:72:8C9:FFFF0000:0:0:0:" tvg-name="NPO 1 HD",NPO 1 HD
#EXTVLCOPT:program=14010
http://192.168.123.154:8001/1:0:19:36BA:72:8C9:FFFF0000:0:0:0:
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-chno="33020" tvg-logo="http://192.168.123.154/picon/npo2hd.png" tvg-id="1:0:19:80FC:85:8C9:FFFF0000:0:0:0:" tvg-name="NPO 2 HD",NPO 2 HD
#EXTVLCOPT:program=33020

Attached is a sample, I watched all first 5 channels and only there EPG is seen.

Capture.PNG

vor 3 Stunden schrieb eleijen:

My question is: EPG is only visible in DVB MS for a specific channel when I have watched that specific channel. When I buy the full version, will DVB MS then scrape all channels for EPG? 

Some relevant facts:

• Usually in DVB broadcasts (also applies to Sat>IP) the EPG data for all channels on a certain frequency/transponder is transmitted together in a single EPG data stream. That means, after tuning a frequency, the Media Server receives EPG data for all channels on this frequency. Sometimes it also contains EPG data for other frequencies. That's why the background EPG update in the full version only tunes each frequency from the channel list once.
  • In M3U lists the frequency information is missing, so the background EPG update (what you call "scraping") can't determine anymore which channels are located on the same frequency. As a consequence, it has to request each channel from the server, which lets the EPG update last much longer.
  • In contrast to Sat>IP the static URLs in the M3U list don't allow a client to request EPG data only. It always gets the whole stuff, video, audio, teletext... that's why EPG updates create a lot of useless network traffic in this case. This is another factor that makes the procedure quite inefficient.
  • The result depends on what the Enigma2 includes in the streams that are requested with the URLs from the M3U list. Only the (filtered) EPG for the requested channel or the complete EPG data for all channels on that frequency? That's something I don't know...

Due to these drawbacks, the DMS full version by default doesn't include channels belonging to the TS Stream reception type (= channels referenced by URL) in EPG background updates, particularly because IPTV channels from the Internet usually don't provide EPG data at all, so scanning for it would be a waste of time and resources. You need to take special measures to enable the background EPG update for TS Stream channels:

• You have to add at least one "static" TS Stream device to your device list in the Media Server Options (svcoptions.exe) -> Hardware by clicking the Add button (usually they are created automatically/dynamically on demand).
  • You need to configure all TS Stream channels that shall be included in background EPG updates as "DVB EPG only" by unchecking the other EPG checkboxes (MHW and External EPG) in the DVBViewer Channel Editor. It can also be configured per category. In this way you can control which channels (URLs) are scanned for EPG data on background EPG updates and which channels are omitted.

These are the main points...

Hello,

thank you very much for this extensive answer. I'll deepdive into this later this week ?

Best regards,

Erik.

• The result depends on what the Enigma2 includes in the streams that are requested with the URLs from the M3U list. Only the (filtered) EPG for the requested channel or the complete EPG data for all channels on that frequency? That's something I don't know...

EL: only the filtered EPG for that specific channel is sent. (With the update below im not sure anymore)

I have configured above, but no epg coming in. (Also configured a run epg internal task timer)

I tried to configure a one minute task for a specific channel tune only, but that did not result in epg update. I think because of your explanation above, tuning on ts stream makes no sense.

i will test what a recording task will do, but am reluctant to do so because of all the files it will generate. 

update:

interesting enough in mws status it says 36.000 epg entries. When swiching to another channel the # of epg records does not increase but epg information for that channel becomes visible. It feels like all epg data is received, but only cannot be mapped to the channels unless you zap to that channel?

thanks,

Erik

Edited by eleijen

update 2:

once i select a channel for the first time, the pid information and video type is updated for that channel. Could it be that that is neccessary information for epg, so only thing i have to do is select all channels once so that channel information is updated and epg works? Will test and report back, but maybe you can give your thoughts about it as well ?

vor 14 Minuten schrieb eleijen:

once i select a channel for the first time, the pid information and video type is updated for that channel. Could it be that that is neccessary information for epg, so only thing i have to do is select all channels once so that channel information is updated and epg works?

Yes. Assigning EPG data to a channel requires that the Service ID, (Transport)Stream ID and Network ID of the channel is known. They constitute a kind of path to the channel. These values are not included in the M3U list (except the Service ID, that can optionally be specified by the #EXTVLCOPT:program=... tag) , so DVBViewer and the DMS have to determine the values on first tuning ("channel auto-update").

Please note that the DMS does not adopt a changed channel list (changed channel data) from DVBViewer unless it is saved in the DVBViewer Channel Editor or DVBViewer is closed.

Excellent, happy I bought the DMS add-on! Thank you very much.