Incorrectly identified satellite stations

RobG

Hi, how can I correct or address the cause of incorrectly identified satellite stations?

With a new installation I ran a scan and found lots of channels. Most but not all have EPG info and a few, I’m not sure how many yet, are incorrectly named e.g. when I watch the channel called 'CBBC' I see the broadcast of channel 'BBC Three'.

In case its relevant, I’ve got 4 DVB-S tuners. Two pointing to Astra 19.2E, two pointing to Astra 28.2E.

Thanks

Robin

14 hours ago, RobG said:

a few, I’m not sure how many yet, are incorrectly named e.g. when I watch the channel called 'CBBC' I see the broadcast of channel 'BBC Three'.

This applies to BBC Three / CBBC and BBC Four / CBeebies due to their timesharing (see links above). It is ok and expected. DVBViewer plays CBBC when switching to BBC Three between 07:00 and 21:00, because both channels are located on the same frequency and are using the same video and audio data packet identifiers (PIDs), as you can see in the DVBViewer Channel Editor.

However, recordings should always use the corresponding (correct) channel list entry, while the channel is active (e.g. BBC Three between 21:00 and 07:00) to make sure that additional data besides video and audio is included - particularly the PMT (Program Map Table), which is a kind of "table of contents" for the channel. Some players don't play TS files if it is missing.

14 hours ago, RobG said:

Most but not all have EPG info

The Freesat EPG is broadcasted very slowly, so it may last quite long until DVBViewer has collected it completely for all Freesat channels. It may require 30 minutes of continuous Freesat reception or even more.

However, there is a way to fetch the whole Freesat EPG within 30 seconds by tuning a channel on 11427 H. It is mainly a Freesat "data only" transponder and provides a high speed EPG data stream with 4.3 MBit/s.

Your scan has probably found a radio channel named BBC NDRA on 11427 H (if not, let me know). It doesn't work because the DVBViewer scanner mistakes a data stream for an audio stream in this case. Nevertheless tuning this channel will trigger the high speed EPG reception.

Channels outside the Freesat sphere will probably have no EPG or only provide now/next entries.

• Thanks 1