Kodi DVBViewer Client vs. Recording Service

globalist

I've been using DVBViewer Recording service (v1.33.02.01) with my Kodi for years but today the Kodi client (19.1.0) is complaining that it requires DVBViewer Media Server v3 or above.

I guess this means I need to ditch DVBV RS and start using DVBV MS, but I'm wondering can I just install DVBV MS and it will somehow pick up the settings from DVBV RS? Or do I need to uninstall DVBV RS and set up DVBV MS from scratch?

Also, I've tried downgrading the Kodi client but this did not help with the error message (3.0.0.0 or above MS required), so I'm not really sure what is going on. Any light into this?

Many thanks!

Edited by globalist
11 hours ago, globalist said:

I guess this means I need to ditch DVBV RS and start using DVBV MS

Yes. Please note that the DMS full version requires an additional licence (currently 21,- €, more about it here and here). The restricted Media Server Basic, that is free for owners of a DVBViewer licence, will probably not meet your needs. However, you can try it first, if you just want to find out how it works.

but I'm wondering can I just install DVBV MS and it will somehow pick up the settings from DVBV RS?

This is not tested anymore. Just try.... presumably most of the settings will be picked up. If it doesn't work out, you can still set it up from the scratch. Please note that DVBViewer must also be updated to the latest release.

Also, I've tried downgrading the Kodi client but this did not help with the error message (3.0.0.0 or above MS required), so I'm not really sure what is going on.

It's the DVBViewer add-on for Kodi that must be downgraded. Looks like it is kept when installing an earlier Kodi version.

OK, I've installed the DMS Basic and it picked up the previous settings and seems to be working fine. What do you mean it might not meet my needs? Are there some important limitations?

Also, yes it's the Kodi addon I've tried downgrading, to no avail here. But now it's prolly just a moot point.

Thanks!

FYI: If you decide to buy the full DMS: By just entering the license data in the KeyTool the basic DMS does NOT(!) turn into full DMS. You then would have to download the full DMS setup (will appear in your members area after buying) and install it over the basic DMS to get all features.