IPTV: How to get DVBViewer Pro to auto-update my M3U-provided channel list?

amirhs

Folks, Long-time DVBViewer Pro user here - I'm using V7.2.2.

Having utilized DVB cards for a long time, few months ago I decided to also subscribe to an IPTV service. I have their M3U file and can use DVBViewer's Import feature, directly from the Channel Editor dialog, to import them into my channel list. However, I'm facing a couple of issues:

1. The IPTV provider says that the channels can be auto-updated, but I don't know how to do that in DVBViewer Pro. That is, each time the provider updates the channels (which is sometimes daily), I have to manually download the newer M3U file myself via the provided URL, remove the old branch from DVBViewer's channel list, re-import the playlist, and so forth. Obviously this is both time-consuming and uncomfortable as it, among other things, messes around with my favorite channels. As such, may I humbly know if there's a more automated way to achieve this in DVBViewer Pro? Can the app update, or auto-update, my IPTV channels to fetch the new one and remove the non-functional/deleted ones, offered by the provider? Maybe I should add my channels in a different way and I'm not aware of it to achieve the desired outcome. Please help.

2. I'm aware of the fact that the channels I import are all added to the so-called Video category even though some of them might be audio channels. Once I play audio channels, they move to the Audio category on their own. As such, is there a way to correctly detect them upon import?

All the best, and thanks beforehand for your assistance.

Amir

48 minutes ago, amirhs said:

As such, may I humbly know if there's a more automated way to achieve this in DVBViewer Pro? Can the app update, or auto-update, my IPTV channels to fetch the new one and remove the non-functional/deleted ones, offered by the provider?

https://www.dvbviewer.tv/forum/topic/64505-iptv-client/?do=findComment&comment=498304

48 minutes ago, amirhs said:

Once I play audio channels, they move to the Audio category on their own. As such, is there a way to correctly detect them upon import?

Not without connecting to the server, getting and analyzing the stream, except if the URL provides a kind of file extension (like .mp3 or .aac) indicating the content.

Thanks, Griga. As I understand things correctly, DVBViewer Pro can be adjusted to auto-update IPTV channels via a given URL. However, just wondering why it needs command line arguments rather than proper GUI elements. Not that command line arguments are bad, but getting the hang of them is more difficult and complicated than working with GUI controls. So any chance of making this feature more pronounced in the GUI in the next release?

Cheers,

Amir

Edited by amirhs
Minor lexical adjustments

Thanks, Griga, I got the hang of command line parameters, and - guess what? DVBViewer Pro has become a full-fledged IPTV client! 🕺

I just have one more question: rather than editing the shortcut app on the Desktop, would it be possible to edit the app's shortcut/icon in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\DVBViewer؟ I ask this because usually I don't create Desktop shortcuts - I create keyboard shortcuts for apps in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. And if it is doable, any caveats I should be aware of?

Thanks again!

Amir

3 hours ago, amirhs said:

would it be possible to edit the app's shortcut/icon in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\DVBViewer؟

Why not? You could even add a new shortcut with the desired command line parameters in this directory.

4 hours ago, amirhs said:

just wondering why it needs command line arguments rather than proper GUI elements.

It was the easiest (and fastest) way to implement it. Moreover command line parameters allow automation by scripts or batch files. Designing a UI for new features is often much more expensive than the technical implementation. It's always a question oft the cost-benefit ratio. Up to now there were only few users asking for such a feature.

• Like 1