Allow useragent to be used in m3u playlists

Suburban Legend

Currently this does not work if the user-agent is specified which is a requirement for this stream. Could this be implemented? This works in VLC, but doesn't seem to work in DVBViewer

#EXTINF:0 tvg-id="669" tvg-name="Abbey Road Crossing Cam" tvg-logo="https://static.earthcam.com/camshots/128x72/935412713c3c445e6a766a0cdd1d0cee.jpg" group-title="TRAVEL",Abbey Road Crossing Cam
#EXTVLCOPT:http-user-agent=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:76.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/76.0
https://videos-3.earthcam.com/fecnetwork/AbbeyRoadHD1.flv/playlist.m3u8

1 hour ago, Suburban Legend said:

Currently this does not work if the user-agent is specified which is a requirement for this stream. Could this be implemented?

Maybe. I will check it. DVBViewer requires a different way of specifying the user agent. It must be appended to the URL in the following way:

?addhdr=User-Agent:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:76.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/76.0

This addition is processed by DVBViewer internally, not sent to the server. Don't use it in other software, because it would let the server know how it is deceived...

19 hours ago, Suburban Legend said:

Could this be implemented?

Coded: Automatic conversion from #EXTVLCOPT:http-user-agent=... to the DVBViewer format on M3U import in the Channel Editor. Would you like to test it?

15 hours ago, Suburban Legend said:

Yes I would love to test this please

Check your PMs.

Added: Channel Editor: Automatic conversion of the #EXTVLCOPT:http-user-agent=... M3U tag to a DVBViewer ?addhdr=User-Agent:… URL appendix on M3U import.

Please note that you have to import the M3U (by drag & drop) in the DVBViewer Channel Editor, not in the DVBViewer Main Window.

• Thanks 2
On 1/18/2023 at 8:22 AM, Griga said:

Check your PMs.

Added: Channel Editor: Automatic conversion of the #EXTVLCOPT:http-user-agent=... M3U tag to a DVBViewer ?addhdr=User-Agent:… URL appendix on M3U import.

Please note that you have to import the M3U (by drag & drop) in the DVBViewer Channel Editor, not in the DVBViewer Main Window.

This is perfect, thank you so much, this is working for me.

• 4 months later...

Hi all, have almost the same question here. have the following m3u8 links which are working with user agent only. but if i use this link within another ip range it does not work. can i workaround this somehow? both links are working for me only. but the moment i switch to 5g or use the same with another wifi connection they are not openning anymore! i guess somehow it's recognizing my wifi connection details... would be great if this could be workarounded. thanks

12 hours ago, Nima.Raazi said:

if i use this link within another ip range it does not work.

What do you mean by "use within another IP range"? A DNS server translates the domain name of such links to the according IP address. "IP ranges" have no meaning in this process.

Anyway, your URLs don't look very promising, because they seem to contain session IDs,  which probably limit them to a certain time period.

On 5/25/2023 at 7:14 AM, Griga said:

What do you mean by "use within another IP range"? A DNS server translates the domain name of such links to the according IP address. "IP ranges" have no meaning in this process.

Anyway, your URLs don't look very promising, because they seem to contain session IDs,  which probably limit them to a certain time period.

Hi Griga, Thanks for your response. what i mean with IP Range restriction was the following: when I used this m3u8 link, which i grabbed from another site, using same WIFI connection as when the link was grabbed, then the link was playing using VLC. but when I switched to another WIFI connection, outside house, it was not working anymore. once I reconnected to my WIFI it worked again! so was wondering if the link is containing some WIFI/IP information restriction.

And is it not possible to get rid of this session IDs? for example by changing this session id with an expiring date of 2 years later?

Thanks again

6 hours ago, Nima.Raazi said:

but when I switched to another WIFI connection, outside house, it was not working anymore. once I reconnected to my WIFI it worked again!

Seems to be caused by the firewall. In a public network the rules are much more restrictive than in a private home network (see here). The DVBViewer installer sets up firewall rules that explicitely allow DVBViewer access to streaming sources if it is running in a private network, but no rules for a public network. Of course you can also allow internet access for DVBViewer in a public network. However, you have to be very careful about security!

6 hours ago, Nima.Raazi said:

And is it not possible to get rid of this session IDs? for example by changing this session id with an expiring date of 2 years later?

This would require code that creates valid URLs in the same way as they are created by the provider. This means, it has to be investigated how the URLs are built, and you would need a separate solution for each provider.

Circumventing access restrictions in this way is forbidden in Germany by law (it is regarded as copyright infringement), so we can't do it in DVBViewer.