Device priority in Media Server

mitsu

This might be too simple, but how do I define device priority in Media Server? I have three DVB-T2 devices and I want one of them be the default recording device.

Second question. For some time DVBViewer running in other PC than Media Server does not find any HW with scanning. This happens with several PCs, none of them give any results with scan. Media server connection is working and TV receiving and recording are working fine.

1 hour ago, mitsu said:

how do I define device priority in Media Server?

Media Server Options (SvcOptions.exe) -> Hardware -> Devices. If the Media Server needs a tuner, it always uses the first unoccupied one from the top. The topmost unoccupied tuner has the highest priority. You can change the order in the device list with the mouse by drag & drop.

1 hour ago, mitsu said:

I want one of them be the default recording device.

Generally a recording has a higher priority than all other usage types. If a timer recordings starts and all tuners are occupied, the Media Server will force a tuner occupied by a task with lower priority (like playback) to be released, so TV playback may suddenly stop on one of the clients. However, as long as there are unoccupied tuners, the rule above applies.

1 hour ago, mitsu said:

For some time DVBViewer running in other PC than Media Server does not find any HW with scanning.

I don't understand. Please explain in more detail. Do you scan for hardware or for channels?

20 minutes ago, Griga said:

Media Server Options (SvcOptions.exe) -> Hardware -> Devices. If the Media Server needs a tuner, it always uses the first unoccupied one from the top. The topmost unoccupied tuner has the highest priority. You can change the order in the device list with the mouse by drag & drop.

I knew that was easy :) I thought I tried that, but obviously did not.

image.jpeg.a81d5aa883c89bb6a02a1c01f23f1b23.jpeg

This is what I tried (in the viewer). Does nothing. I had to add devices manually (RTSP Network device). 

Edited by mitsu
24 minutes ago, mitsu said:

I had to add devices manually (RTSP Network device). 

On remote PCs (without DVB hardware) you have to scan for Sat>IP servers, not for hardware. It adds RTSP devices automatically.

As you can see, that button is greyed out. How to make it active?

I am pretty sure normal scan button used to work (a few years ago?).

6 minutes ago, mitsu said:

As you can see, that button is greyed out.

It is greyed, if DVBViewer is already configured as Media Server client (see Options -> DVBViewer Media Server). The "Scan Sat>IP Servers" button is suitable if DVBViewer shall just use the Media Server (or any other Sat>IP server in your home network) as TV/Radio data source, similar to DVB devices.

DVBViewer as Media Server client means much more, e.g. delegating timer recordings, downloading the EPG or a channel list etc. - see Options -> DVBViewer Media Server. If you want that, please use Help -> Media Server Wizard for automatic configuration. It will also create the required RTSP network devices.

I am using DVBViewer as Media Server client, and that is exactly what I want.

However, I every now and then change the Media Server HW. What is the correct procedure to make the needed changes in the client side?

I am happy DVBViewer user for so many years (like 20?).

I found one solution.

Disable support for Media Server.

Scan Sat> IP Servers

Enable support for Media Server.

Not very intuitive.

13 hours ago, mitsu said:

Disable support for Media Server.

Scan Sat> IP Servers

Enable support for Media Server.

Not very intuitive.

Not at all. I wouldn't recommend this method. It would have been much cleverer to simply follow my advice:

14 hours ago, Griga said:

DVBViewer as Media Server client means much more (...) If you want that, please use Help -> Media Server Wizard for automatic configuration.