16:9 anamorphic Display

Scurra

Hi,

first: I really like the new htpc layout of DVBViewer 3 - but still i have a (quite big) request:

i (and i assume many other users too) use a 16:9 tv on which i watch tv (using DVBViewer of course). but the thing is - if i now switch to htpc mode i can't use the full tv screen for the menu because it is resized and the fonts are quite flat and it doesn't look so nice at all. so my request nr. 1: implement an extra theme or an function for 16:9 output for the menu (its the same with the epg and all the other osd menus by the way).

my request nr.2 fits to nr1. because its also 16:9 related: a few days ago i tried scenio tvcentral which doesnt work so fine for whatching tv with ss2 but there was a nice function which was called "display" when i used it the output was zoomed so that the black lines on top and bottom of the screen were cut off and i could use the anamorphic 16:9 mode on my tv. using the function once again the picture was put in a 4:3 format. i'm not sure if you understand what i mean - so again in other words: i would really like to double click on the DVBViewer button and switch my tv on and then only need to go through the display modes in DVBViewer while i can let my tv run in anamorphic 16:9 mode all the time.

and last but not least request nr.3 - (which is quite unimportant and maybe even impossible): when such a function as in request nr2 is implemented - it would be perfect if DVBViewer would automatically detect whether the current tv programme is a 16:9 programme with black borders or not and then uses automatically the anamorphic output.

thanks in advance :(

scurra

Guest Lars_MQ

No 1: This would be a 16:9 Skin for the OSD. The skinengine of the DVBViewer gets the information about the output format from the used skin. This is for now only 4:3. I'll have to find out a little bit about 16:9 and maybe I'll do a skin for this format (if I'll find the time).

No 2: Have you tried the displaysettings? you can Zoom and adjust the width and height of the picture. Does that funktion gets you a screenfilling picture?

I'm not quite shure if I understand you correct.

lars

Guest Lars_MQ
@Lars: The VMR 9 (Mixer Disabled) Mode, as implemented in DVBViewer GE, might be a solution.

No I think he has a 16:9 Screen and the OSD is rendered fullscreen (16:9). so the aspectratio don't match the designed ratio of the skin.

for my first request you understood me right. a 16:9 skin would be great!

request2 nochmal auf deutsch wenns so unverständlich ist :( (liegt wohl an mir sorry): auf meinen 16:9 fernsehr muss ich immer entweder im 4:3 format oder im letterbox format gucken, weil wenn ich den normalen 16:9 modus nehme, dann habe ich immer ganz breite köpfe weil das bild halt zusammengedrückt wird. die zoom function ist da schon das richtige (gibt ein füllendes bild ohne schwarze balken), nur eben kann ich ja die zoom regler nur 1x einstellen und wenn ich dann wieder eine "normale" 4:3 sendung gucke dann fehlt mir was vom bild. man müsste sich also nur überlegen wieviel zoom man genau braucht, damit das bild wenn der tv es wieder zusammendrückt normal aussieht. jetzt verständlich, was ich möchte? sonst muss ich nochmal ein bild malen :)

Quite right - in general yes but wouldn't it be something to add to the features list if you could say "support for 16:9 tvs (anamorphic output)" or something like that. if you add recallable zoomsettings then just make one predefined for "anamorphic 16:9" and "anamorphic 4:3" then i'm happy :(

@scurra: you may post in the Deutsch-Forum next time o:) is ja nich nötig, sich hier einen abzubrechen, ich behaupte mal >90% der mehr als 90% :) postenden leuds hier können deutsch :(

ich hatte gehoped, dass mich hier vielleicht auch andere leute supporten würden, weil mein request dann dann vielleicht schneller implemented werden würde... :(

• 1 month later...

How about to merge te zoom and aspect ratio menus to customizable aspect ratio settings. I like the idea of switching the 4 aspect ratio setings with just one key/button. But this has to be customizable with somethink like the zoom dialog. The preset #0..#3 in the zoom dialog should be the aspect ratios ..

My TV is an 1280x768 (DVI) which is 15:9 ... fixed aspect ratio settings are all the time wrong then.

greetings

Tobi