Skystar2 and A8N-SLI DELUXE

satball

Hi! I bought the technisat skystar 2 PCI card a week ago! I tried to install it in a system with ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE motherboard with AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2Ghz processor 1Gb DDR 400 RAM and VGA ATI X600 PRO graphics card! When I was installing the software for the card and then trying to run the included program (DVBViewer) I was getting blue screens and system freezes! The worst of all is that my motherboard was damaged! After I replaced it and got an ASUS A8N-SLI (without the DELUXE) and tryied to install the skystrar and DVBViewer the result was the same … I ended up with two damaged motherboards! What is the problem and is there a solution for it? I am thinking of buying now the ASUS P5AD2-E PREMIUM motherboard now with Intel 925XE Socket 775 64bit processor! Will that work or I will be having problems again? Thank you! I am looking forward for a reply!

it should work without problems,

But if the card damage your motherboard, i believe your card is damaged!

ASUS A8N-SLI
The worst of all is that my motherboard was damaged!

Sure??

There is a bug in this mainboard. The PCI port doesn't get enough power. So you can't use a DVB-S Card with this board. A DVB-S Card need a little bit more power then other cards, because the LNB must be supplied.

Have a look at the manual

http://www.DVBViewer.com/oliver/Probleme.html

When installing a TechniSat PCI TV-card there are blue screens with an ASUS A8N SLI (Deluxe).

These boards have a weak power supply for PCI. Therefore powerful PCI-cards are not supported.

• 1 month later...

Hello,everyone!!

Satball is right!!

Do not use technisat on ASUS A8N boards I have damaged two boards also!!

I don't know if other dvb-s card work on that series of motherboard but the technisat for sure is very dangerous...

Does anyone know if ABIT board like AN8-SLI work with technisat?

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,everyone!!

Satball is right!!

Do not use technisat on ASUS A8N boards I have damaged two boards also!!

I don't know if other dvb-s card work on that series of motherboard but the technisat for sure is very dangerous...

Does anyone know if ABIT board like AN8-SLI work with technisat?

i had exactly the same problem apart i was lucky not damage the MB !! could it be something to do with the BIOS of the MB or the firmware of the skystar2 !! could a solution be found ??many thx

• 2 weeks later...

The same happend to me with my 1 month old new build PC: ASUS A8N - SLI, SKYSTAR2 PCI.

Started with blue screen, freeze, and then after a couple of days, no more BIOS boot.

I was thinking to go for SKYSTAR2 USB version, since it is external unit with own power supply it should be ok, anybody have a comments ?

Have a nice day and thanks

I had the same Problem with 2 different Versions of Skystar2 PCI. One Board got crashed. Black Screen and nothing else. I got a new Board and tried Twinhan and KNC one PCI TV SAT Cards. Always stucked window or bluescreen. After a telefonecall (four weeks ago) with ASUS, the Problem was well known. They told me they are working on it. My Bios Version: 1012.

The new BiosVERSION 1013 seems also not to be better.

I think USB-Sat or another Board will help. ;)

Edited by Knumbo
Guest Lars_MQ

Well USB 1.1= no hdtv, no multirecording or recording one channel and watching another.

If you can live with it, otherwise a new MoBo will cost about the same as a usb skystar...

• 4 weeks later...

It seems PCI 2.3 standard only supports 3.3 Volt add-in cards but can't see any warnings in ASUS motherboard manual about installing 5 volt cards.

Apparently PCI 2.2 supported both 5 Volt and 3.3 Volt add-in cards.

I have ASUS A8N-SLI Premium and have now lost Firewire controller and LAN controller after installing Skystar card.

Firewire chip is very hot - does this mean it's now faulty?

PCI 2.3 PC works fine otherwise and Skystar card runs happily in PCI 2.1 motherboard as does firewire device.

ASUS not replying to my pleas for help - very disappointing.

Gordon

• 4 weeks later...

:D Fu.k. I got the same board for a upgrade. Thank god I checked out the forum.

I was pointong the fault at the wireless card but when I disabled that I was getting the same dysfunction from DVBViewer.

1) Thanks for letting us know the cause of failures and the risk for the board

2) Fu.k ASUS - A8n-SLI is a premium boad!!! How dare they sell a flawed product as "premium"?!?!?

I hope the board is not fried jet ! Time to remove the fabolous card... and find a replacement board...

Any suggestion for a working board that supports Skystar2 ? Please PM me / post here!!!

Cheers

Enrico

Attached a screenshot of a Blue Screen of Death related to use of Skystar2 and a Atheros wireless on A8N-SLI

post-1180-1128420068_thumb.png

Edited by eiapoce

Hmm - in the case of your bluescreen the driver for the wireless card is the cause of the bluescreen - don't blame the SkyStar 2!!!

The nForce 4 chipset seems to be faulty at all - and it is not always the Skystar 2, which causes the trouble. Also some TechnoTrend cards (i.e. Haupauge Nexus) are not working properly with those mainboards.

Hmm - in the case of your bluescreen the driver for the wireless card is the cause of the bluescreen - don't blame the SkyStar 2!!!

Sorry my friend. Skystar + Wireless = Crash, Skystar alone without wireless card = Jumping Audio / Disturbed video + Overall system instability.

As other have said it is due to Asus and their reckless marketing of this defective board.

Chinging board now, will keep all updated

Enrico

Well, but the bluescreen tells you, that the driver for the wireless was the cause for this specific crash... :D

The nForce 4 MoBos have problems with many DVB-S cards... like the Haupauge Nexus-S/TT Premium S...

hai Enrico,

I would recommend my PC Chips M848ALU SKT A SIS 748 400 DDR AGP 8x ATA133 6Ch Sound/LAN/USB 2.0 for Athlon or Sempron CPUs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be closer to God, move to Germany

This is finally my contribution to the compatible boards:

ABIT KN8 - Nforce4 is working with SKYSTAR2.

This board is one of the cheapest from Abit. It has some defects (at least with default BIOS). The most notable is that you have to reset CMOS every time you add/remove ANY hardware component (even HardDrives!). On the other hand once installed it works flawlessly - I have still to overclock anyway :blush:

Ciao

Enrico

Update - On KN8 you have to clear CMOS only when using the old BIOS - Once updated this problem is gone and it works with wireless also

P.S. Anybody interested in a A8N SLI from asus? :D

Edited by eiapoce

First thing: Twinhan DTV PCI Card work with ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE and I read reports that some Hauppauge works ok.

Second: ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE and Premium has PCI 2.3-compliant, 5 V tolerant.

The facts: Like PCI v2.2, the new specification supports two system board add-in card connectors for both the 3.3 volt and 5 volt signaling environments. However, PCI v2.3 does not support 5 volt-keyed add-in cards, which are now "non-compliant" with the PCI v2.3 specification. PCI v2.3 continues to support the Universal-keyed and 3.3 volt-keyed add-in cards. The Universal card is capable of detecting the signaling environment in use and adapting itself to that environment. By always using 3.3 volt output signals and having 5 volt-tolerant inputs, the Universal card can be plugged into both types of PCI slots (including PCI-X slots).

Support for 5 volt signaling is retained in PCI v2.3 for backward compatibility with 5 volt-keyed add-in cards, but it is expected to be eliminated in future versions of this specification, making PCI v2.3 the last PCI specification with support for 5 volt signaling.

Maybe the problems is that specific Skystar2 type cards are 5 volt-keyed "non-compliant" with the PCI v2.3 specification. Hope this help!

Guest Lars_MQ

The people from asus know about the problem and it's a mainboard problem. We had the same disscussion in the german part of the forum and a user called the technical support of asus.

I don't know about 3 oder 5 V, but I know about the fact that the skystar works on all boards except the asus SLI board. So you better think twice before buying a mainboard with design errors, who knows what else can kill it :)

• 1 month later...

I sold the ASUS A8N-SLI but in the meanwhile I received this from Technisat. Does not says a lot more but it confirms the fact that there are problems...

"it seems, that the nVidia nForce 4 based mainboards have problems with the

TechniSat DVB-PC TV Stars devices and you cannot install the drivers to the

system. We know this problem and we are currently analyzing this behaviour

of your hardware/software in combination with the nVidia nForce 4 chipset.

Currently we cannot provide any solution for your problem.

If there are any further questions, read the FAQ, which is enclosed to this

mail or feel free to contact the technical support again using the support

email address support@mediacenter.lu .

Best regards

Support Team"

Edited by eiapoce
  • 5 weeks later...

I can confirm that the Asus Board K8n4-E Deluxe (and possible its variants) have problems with SS2. (It's a NF4/PCI-e socket 754 board that I bought for my low power mobile amd64 cpu).

I just wasted 2 of these boards.

Both boards have the same symptoms.

No PCI slots are working after I have tried the SS2 card - Now normal PCI cards are no longer working.

Windows XP does not find any PCI devices at all. Even the bios POST screen doesn't notify me about newly inserted cards. Normally when U insert a network card, the BIOS post screen says something like "network adaptor on IRQ".

It's funny b/c other than that the motherboards are working fine, just no PCI slots.

Instead I will try the MSI neo3-F socket 754 board - It has been confirmed working with SS2 card, also the PDF manual clearly states that it supports 5v PCI interface, something that is rarely mentioned in the manuals.

I just hope the MSI board supports my mobile CPU, but that's another story.

/Elo

Edited by gibman