Pre/Post Record Buffer

DJBenson

Would it be possible to add a pre and post record buffer for instant recordings with a user definable limit?

I use DVBViewer to record songs of the music channels and sometimes I'm waiting for a particular song to come up, and by the time I've clicked record I've missed the start of the song - a 10 second or so buffer would be brilliant.

Edited by DJBenson
Guest Oliver
and by the time I've clicked record I've missed the start of the song - a 10 second or so buffer would be brilliant.

Maybe I got this wrong, but: You are the buffer. Only you can know when to start a recording.

Bye, Oliver

and by the time I've clicked record I've missed the start of the song - a 10 second or so buffer would be brilliant.

Maybe I got this wrong, but: You are the buffer. Only you can know when to start a recording.

Bye, Oliver

Let me explain how I think it might work...It would be good if the program was always recording to a small buffer when this option is enabled. That way if I had missed the first couple of seconds of a song, it'd be in the buffer so when I click record the buffer would be written out followed by the rest of the recording.

Edited by DJBenson
Guest Oliver

Just thought so. That's absolutely contrary to another request concerning timeshift. There someony criticized timeshift not using a ringbuffer to keep disk usage low. Your proposition would result in even more usage. I personally don't think that it is feasible.

Bye

Just thought so. That's absolutely contrary to another request concerning timeshift. There someony criticized timeshift not using a ringbuffer to keep disk usage low. Your proposition would result in even more usage. I personally don't think that it is feasible.

Bye

Can't see how it would use a lot of disk space. Couldn't the program reserve a chunk of space (determined by the buffer length, say 30meg for 30seconds) and then continuously write to that file, overwriting the file when the 30 second buffer is filled - or even use two files and alternate between the two.

There is recording software for audio that has pre and post record buffers so I think it's possible.

This is just my idea of how an already great program could be improved from my perspective - and I can't be the only one who hates missing the start of a program or song. ;)

DJBenson,

I think you have to use the so called smart buffer known as anytime timeshift.

It starts using timeshift as soon as you tune a channel. In combination with the option always keeping the timeshift file you will get it.

Afterwards you can convert/demux and cut your needed parts to songs.

HTH

NameIt

Edited by NameIt
Guest Lars_MQ
Can't see how it would use a lot of disk space. Couldn't the program reserve a chunk of space (determined by the buffer length, say 30meg for 30seconds) and then continuously write to that file, overwriting the file when the 30 second buffer is filled -

You just explained a ringbuffer, well sort of ;)

Like oliver I personally don't see a real use of this for the majority.

There is recording software for audio that has pre and post record buffers so I think it's possible.

Well I really thought the DVBViewer is for television and listening to dvb radio :)

:) I really like DJBenson idea's, and I dream about it from a long time...

...often happens to watch some music channel and understand too late that the song that is beginning is really worth a rec...

And IMHO there is a solution by far simpler: to put such a ringbuffer not in a file (that I understand is a big trouble), but in memory: nowadays who dont'have some spare RAM, say ~50Mb, to optinally dedicate to such a precious function? ;)

With the majority of the musical channel 50Mb fit for at least a pair of minute of A/V recording, largely sufficient to decide if you want to rec the song you are watching...

So please, it would be very nice if you all would want reconsider the DJBenson idea... ;)

Well, if you record 192 kbps MP2, and you do it for 1 hour, you'll get a filesize of 82 MB. Not very much nowadays. And even for 24 hours less than 2 GB.

So why not simply record everything and cut the songs that you want afterwards? I can't see the point.

Such a buffer is easy to wish, but difficult to implement. IMO DVBViewer Pro is already overloaded with functions. And be sure, I won't do that to DVBViewer GE.

use auto-timeshift and keep the timeshift-file ;) that should be everything you want

in the next DVBViewer-pro version you should be able to write a vb-script, that may delete all unwanted .ts files (in the timeshift-folder) by one-osd-button so you don't have to save all the trash that has been recording.

Er...

...maybe it wasn't so clear, bat I was thinking about the utility of a PreRecordBuffer in case of a A/V channel («...often happens to watch...»)....

(...and I'm convinced that if one is interested in audio only recording, then the best solution was, from long time ago, to "rec all then edit" with the greatly apreciated Griga's AudioRecoredr plugin, preferably in Ogg 128bit etc: I'm using it!)

Ok, forget it, but I can't have idea of the complexity of the task; simply having readed in another post (see at the end, Mr. Bun reply) a solution surely too hard to implement, and having nothing better to think about ;), I was dreaming about the "PreRecordBuffer in RAM" solution...

(maybe is better to resume my old Archimedes 310 if I want be programmer again :))

Cheers to all

• 2 weeks later...
Well I really thought the DVBViewer is for television and listening to dvb radio :(

What a really constructive response. Seeing as I have just paid for this software, it is only reasonable for me to put suggestions forward on how to improve the software. What is the point of the feature requests forum if people reply with pointless sarcasm.

And I think there is slight confusion. I am talking about VIDEO channels not just audio. If I am sat waiting for a particular song to come up (or indeed just one I like) then there is a slight delay between the song starting and the time at which I click record. If there was a buffer this slight delay would have already been written to disk and so none of the song would be lost.

Anyway, it's been made quite clear that my idea is rubbish so I'll just shut up and put up :)

Oh would it also be possible to have the program close to the system tray and then wake up if a scheduled recording was set. I have a Nebula DigiTV card (DVB-T) and it's application sits in the system tray, wakes up for recordings and then sleeps back to the system tray or shuts down the PC.

Personally I think it's rubbish that the program has to be open in order for a timed recording to work.

Guest Oliver
Oh would it also be possible to have the program close to the system tray and then wake up if a scheduled recording was set. I have a Nebula DigiTV card (DVB-T) and it's application sits in the system tray, wakes up for recordings and then sleeps back to the system tray or shuts down the PC.

Personally I think it's rubbish that the program has to be open in order for a timed recording to work.

Wakey wakey! The DVBViewer doesn't even need to run to do this. Since the Windows scheduling system is used the pc will even awake from hibernation. This feature has been implemented for about a year now.

Bye

The option to use task scheduling is greyed out for me - and yes I've checked that I have the task scheduling service running in XP.

post-13171-1118235515_thumb.png

Edited by DJBenson