Run DVBviewer as service

aydan

Hi there,

this might soud like it's been proposed before but i'll do so anyway. With the release of the new multi tuner drivers not far off, I was planning on setting up a dedicated server for recording and media storage. Thus it would be great if you could run DVBViewer as a service. I know you'll say use the task scheduler and recorder.exe but i'd like to have the complete recording, scheduling, setup and stuff on the server while i just log in to the service with the viewer to tweak or view. I'd like it to be a service so no user has to be logged in on the server and it will start as soon as the server boots.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi aydan,

your idea made me thought about my old idea of streaming TV over LAN.

A friend of mine has bought DVBViewer and shown me its features. As I saw the multicast plugin i remembered my idea to stream TV over LAN.

I thought of attach as many dvb-s/t USB2.0 cards at my server as there are transponders. (in example of DVB-T in Berlin there are 7 channels with about 4-6 tv stations on each. This means one need 7 dvb-t USB cards to stream all ~29 networks at the same time.)

Back to my request: I saw there is a DVBServer.exe in the programs dir which maybe can enchanced to meet my request.

I'd like to have a program which is capable of tuning in multiple cards (of same brand/type) each at a different channel and stream all radio/TV stations on that channel as multicast at a different port. (maybe configurable by xml file?)

example:

USB2.0-DVB-T-Card #1 -> channel 5

`- port 7001 : "BBC WORLD"

`- port 7002 : "FAB"

`- port 7003 : "WDR"

`- port 7004 : "SW"

USB2.0-DVB-T-Card #2 -> channel 7

`- port 7005 : "MDR"

`- port 7006 : "NDR"

... (and so on)

So any computer in our neighbourhood LAN could see/hear any station he likes at any time (just by selecting the right port -> configurable by playlist)

Let me know what you think about my idea ;)

Dunno about DVBServer.exe, but I tried running DVBViewer.exe as service, but it didnt work properly.. No scheduled recordings were recorded during time service was running, plus when you started DVBViewer from shortcut (exe,.etc..) it ran as 2nd process, so you had two DVBViewer.exe running, one as service, which didnt do anything, second regular one with gui which worked fine.

Anyway i dont know if it theoreticaly can be ran as service after boot up to windows, if it is not dependant on some other process (some driver..or smthing, which isnt loaded yet ??).

But I agree It would be nice to have an option start DVBViewer as service if it is technicaly possible (with regular tray icon and GUI after logging to windows (optionaly turnable off)) preventing second instance of running DVBViewer of course.

I think DVBserver alone doesn't do anything but provide streams another DVBViewer requests. THus you still need to rung DVBViewer for recordings. DVBViewer can't itself run as a service since it needs desktop access. What I was suggesting is that the devs split it in the middle: Take scheduling, recording and channel setup and make it into a service, take the viewing, configuring part for the viewer. You could then run the service on a dedicated server and remote control it with the viewer part. The multi tuner thing will only work when chipset manufacturer has released the new drivers. The Technisat drivers don't suppoert multiple tuners.

Dunno about DVBServer.exe, but I tried running DVBViewer.exe as service, but it didnt work properly.. No scheduled recordings were recorded during time service was running, plus when you started DVBViewer from shortcut (exe,.etc..) it ran as 2nd process, so you had two DVBViewer.exe running, one as service, which didnt do anything, second regular one with gui which worked fine.

Anyway i dont know if it theoreticaly can be ran as service after boot up to windows, if it is not dependant on some other process (some driver..or smthing, which isnt loaded yet ??).

For remote administration, I've set up an old P2-333 Mhz Notebook, 128MB only, with W2k Pro as a server on my network and configured DVBViewer GE (thank you Griga for this one!) with FireDaemon 1.7 GA to be run as a service. FireDaemon lets me choose whether I want to show or hide the GUI of DVBViewer (I chose it to be accessible by checking the "interact with desktop" option).

Works fine for me. This way, I can either log in to the server via VNC and play with DVBViewer directly, or access it via the vdradmin web interface.

FireDaemon is NO freeware and available from:

http://www.firedaemon.com

FireDaemon lite is a limited version (only one service can be configured) and was freeware, but is no longer provided by the developers. It can still be downloaded here:

ftp://ftp1.fkkt.uni-lj.si/firedaemon-lite-1_6-ga.exe

ftp://82.72.81.87/Public/Thinclients/Fire...Lite-1_6-GA.exe

Vdradmin for DVBViewer with installation instructions can be found here:

http://www.DVBViewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5158

and here:

[Edited by Moderator]

The latter distribution also sports a nice custom-made DVBViewer logo which can substitute the original linvdr one.

Sorry but the last link is against the forum rules.

Uh, I apologize. As I am just a DVB-T user (no sat), I was unaware of the "critical implications" of the rest of the software on this page. :D

Arghhh, first post, and already breached the forum rules... :(:idiot:;)

Edited by prefrontallobotomy