Recording in divx

dgYman

yes, direct divx recording, that would be nice... but unfortunately it's not possible, as far as I know.

The data from satellite comes as mpeg2, and a real time conversion to divx is too time consuming - even a very fast PC wouldn't be able to do it.

But it's no problem to record TV as mpeg2 and to convert it to divx afterwards - I already did a lot of it with best results. :rolleyes:

For divx encoding I use Vidomi, and it works fine with the mpg-files created by the DVBViewer 1.98 (muxed files for video/audio)

Cheers

Griga

if you have an 10 or 15GHz pc we could do that :rolleyes: the problem is that today the pc have not enough power for lifeconversion.

Impossible ??? I don't think so... IMHO : Possible with a 2,5-3GHz-CPU & a very well configured system

Last year I recorded a lot of movies with my Celeron600 & Hauppauge WinTV direct to DivX-Format without dropped Frames. Since I have upgraded to AMD XP 1800 ( and of course any other HW ) it's possible to record to DivX in very good quality and also to MPEG2 (720x576) from my Hi8-Cam with WinDVR.

Also I have very good results with MSDVR 2000 - Freeware from www.maksil.com.

So i think this CPU-Power plus 400-600 MHz should be enough to decode the DVB-Stream and encode in realtime. Unfortunetly there is no Software to test it...

Guest hackbart

em feel free to test it (you have to keep in mind that the mpeg2 data has to be decoded too).

Just download graphedit (you'll find a copy at www.progdigy.com) and build your own graph.

First tune a channel (e.g. Pro7 in the DVBViewer in), second open graphedit and type at Open Url:

b2c2src://255-256.mpg the decoding graph is build up automatic. If you remove the output pins (these behind the decoders) and connect them with the compressors you should be able to get an DVB -> DIVX Graph running.

Christian

Hey :blink: ash on my head

I could buil a divXgraph and its running with picture. My way was the following:

b2c2src --> elecard MPEG2 Video Decoder --> DivX Pro 5.0.2 Codec-->DivX Decoder Filter -->Video Renderer

for audio:b2c2src -->ligos MPEGAudio Decoder --> Default DirectSound Device

Then i clickt on play and could look a video. :rolleyes: But was this now a lifeconversion to DivX??? I dont know! Can anyone explain this? My CPUusage was nearly 100% but the video runs without stops. And can i save this directly from graphedit to my harddisk?

cheers

Steffen

Well, it may be possible to decode mpeg2, convert it to divx and record it "on the fly" with a very fast PC. But what about the filesize?

To squeeze 70-80 minutes of good quality video onto a 700 MByte CD needs more than just straight forward encoding. It usually requires a carefully calculated variable bitrate (mostly done in 2 passes) and other time consuming enhancements like luminance processing. And I don't think a 3 GHz CPU would make it...

That's the advantage of divx: Good video quality, small files. That's why I use it. But if straight forward encoding leads to a filesize close to what I'd get with mpeg2, or to reduced quality, then what is it good for?

Griga

Well Griga, thats true. But I think this discussion is philosophy...

( The small word "impossible" means the end of all dreams and is killing creativity :blink: ).

DivX-Recording is not the right way 4 real Cinematics (IMHO - DigitalTV isn't the best source for HQ-Movies, especially with the bunch of commercials & Logos ).

But it could be a way for getting some hours of video on a small HDD or Hobbythek-Collectors :rolleyes:

Greetings 2 all

@dankescheen: Yes, "impossible" can have a killing effect, that's true, but also a challenging... depends on the person who encounters it. For creative people mostly it's challenging.

Several years ago me and some other guys had the idea to show flights through a fractal landscape as a video on a PC. But the usual CPU speed in those days was 16 MHz. After saying "it's impossible" to ourselves often enough, we made it... and it worked (only 320x200 in a 16-color-VGA-mode, but that already was something!)

I'm sure that a real usefull divx recording from mpeg sources will come soon, somebody will feel challenged - my "impossible"-statement only refered to the state of the art, as it is now.

Griga

@Griga: That's what I mean.

In the first days of homecomputing my Sinclair ZX81 had only textmode, HighRes-Mode (poor b/w) was only possible using a HardwareExtension. A few months ago same effect was usable in Basic-Programs with a smart Assembler-Subroutine. Later on C64 - Original Commodere Statement : It's impossible to have graphics on the borders...But a little dirty softwaretrick made this...(AtariST & Amiga:.............ya know)

So I think youre right - it's a challenge for most creative people. :rolleyes:

BTW : I really like the folks in this forum, cause it's not only good information - it's a nice conversation too

Seems we get a bit off-topic now... a veteran meeting, hm?

I remember one day... my ol' DOS-PC had to encode one of those fractal videos overnight, and next morning I found a 8-MByte-file on my harddisc... 8 MByte for only one file! Know what I mean? I was shocked! :rolleyes:

Griga

• 4 years later...

Sorry to reply to so old thread. I didn't find a newer one ;)

Is there now plans to include direct to xvid recording or is making a special graph still only way to do it?

Other dvb-software can do it (at least Pinnacles own which is completely unuseable piece of ****). The smaller file size would be useful during holidays when there would be lots of recordings and the disk would be filled quickly with .ts or .mpeg.

No plans but there are enough explanaitions out there how to convert ts to divx.

Converting is not a problem for me. But I'd like to be able to record directly to a smaller size to save disk space. If I go away for a few days it would be nice not to fill the disks with .ts files.

Well let me tell you a secret: There is an update for the DVBViewer for people with not enough harddiskspace.

It's called additional or bigger harddisk. You can get it in nearly every computer hardware store with usb, ethernet or internal connectors. Get one or two of these puppies and your storage space problem is solved ;)

500gb harddrive costs arround 100$. And you can record a lot of stuff on a 500gb harddrive... even a lot of HD content, if you want to. ;)

em feel free to test it (you have to keep in mind that the mpeg2 data has to be decoded too).

Just download graphedit (you'll find a copy at www.progdigy.com) and build your own graph.

First tune a channel (e.g. Pro7 in the DVBViewer in), second open graphedit and type at Open Url:

b2c2src://255-256.mpg the decoding graph is build up automatic. If you remove the output pins (these behind the decoders) and connect them with the compressors you should be able to get an DVB -> DIVX Graph running.

Christian

Sorry for using this quotation Chris; i didn't notice the date of this post.

So i forgot this info ex anymore, even the name of the filter and the accessibility of it.

Edited by ricabullah
  • 9 months later...

In the what's new file of TerraTec HomeCinema, can be found the following text:

New TV recording formats:

- AVI: DivX or XviD for video and MP3 or PCM for audio.

- WMV: with different predefined profiles

So at least with TerraTec products it is possible to record using DivX (not .divx-files though). And it worked fine with my old Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT.

So least with it it's possible to record using the DivX codec. It may need hardware support for DivX also - that I don't know. Personally I don't have much need for the feature (I have 2 tb of hdd space to spare) but my opinion usually is that there can't be too much features in any software (with some reservations, of course).

Edited by olavinto
  • 2 weeks later...

If you really really want to have everything re-encoded you should try pyenc script.

Pyenc frist demuxes TS recording with projectX, then cuts out commercials with comskip

and packs video, sound and subtitles in .mkv container. This whole process is quite time consuming.

More about Pyenc (only in finnish sorry). http://www.dvdplaza.fi/forums/showthread.p...highlight=pyenc

Pyenc can be dowloaded with english instuctions here:http://rapidshare.com/files/66498932/PyEnc...mplete.rar.html

Edited by jkeskir