DVBViewer Pro (latest version) unusable!

neophyte

I've just purchased Pro version, and dl'd it 3 days ago. It's probably because I'm doing something wrong but I've tried everything I can think of to get it to work, to no avail.

- Having set up Technisat's bundled software (including DVBViewer TE - which works OK), I open DVDV Pro and click on 'Channel'

- 'Channellist - Channels' tab is empty (although I've previously verified that the channels transmitted here are being received loud and clear (signal strength from mid-80's to 100%), AND are being seen by DVBViewer TE version whenever I open it, AND that the icon in system-tray is green

- So I go to the 'Channel Scan' tab, select 'Europe' and press 'scan'

- When scan completes all the channels (there are only 11, counting 2 which get picked up twice) have been found and are now listed on the 'Channels' tab

- I double-click on any of them and it appears in DVBV's window; I can do this for successive channels, and I can also switch between channels using the 'channel plus/minus' buttons

- I then click on 'Options'

DVBV freezes! The selected channel goes on being received but the title-bar is greyed-out and the program does not respond to any mouse-clicks. The only way I can close it is by opening Task Manager and clicking 'End task' (whereupon a pop-up box opens telling me that the program is awaiting a response from me!!! - but I laugh bitterly and just click on 'End task' anyway).

- I reopen DVBV Pro, and click on 'Channel'

- 'Channellist - Channels' tab is empty......(as before, see above)

.....and so on, ad infinitum.

I go back to DVBV TE and everything's still fine. What is there (I ask myself) about clicking on 'Options' that causes everything to go haywire - but only in DVBV Pro? And why does it empty the Channellist...? It's only too clear that I'm not going to find the remedy by myself.

Can anyone help me, please? It's driving me mad.

My system

Mainboard: Epox EP8KMM3I

Chipset: VIA Apollo KM400/A-VT82233A

512 Mb DDR RAM

Graphics card: Chaintech/Geforce4 MX440 with 64 Mb RAM. AGP8x. DirectX 9.0c.

CPU: Athlon XP 2500+ running at 1.8 GHz

Technisat Airstar2 DVB-T PCI card

edit-

setup.ini file attached is from my DVBV TE folder; there is no setup.ini file in my DVB Pro folder (just in case it's relevant to know this); but DVBViewer.log is from my DVBV Pro folder

Edited by neophyte
Guest Lars_MQ

First of all scan your channels and then close the DVBViewer, so the scanned channels will be saved.

Second we need the information described here.

You can find the settings depending on what you have choosen during installation:

- in the DVBViewer folder

- in settings and documents \all users\applicationdata\DVBViewer pro

- in settings and documents \[your user name]\applicationdata\DVBViewer pro

First of all scan your channels and then close the DVBViewer, so the scanned channels will be saved.

Second we need the information described here.

You can find the settings depending on what you have choosen during installation:

- in the DVBViewer folder

- in settings and documents \all users\applicationdata\DVBViewer pro

- in settings and documents \[your user name]\applicationdata\DVBViewer pro

@Lars

Thanks for reply. I've dl'd the .exe you pointed me to and will forward the file shortly.

However, perhaps I should report meanwhile that since posting about this problem I've experimented with v. 2.2 of DVBViewer (to find out whether I'd get the same problem with that as with the latest version). I first uninstalled v.3. Having extracted the v 2.2 files I clicked on the application .exe; zilch, nada. Tried again; same again. It wouldn't start. So I uninstalled it.

Upon thereafter opening the TE version, I've found that it now won't work properly either. The DVBViewer window opens and the local channels are in the Channel List but double-clicking on any of them has no effect. I intend to reinstall this version from Technisat's CD-ROM in the hope that that will restore the status quo (because I'd actually like to watch some TV programmes today!). In case it's of use I'm attaching the latest TE setup.ini file.

Hi again!

It gets weirder and weirder.

I re-dl'd and reinstalled v.3.4.3 and set up Server4pc and Setup4pc (as before). I then opened DVBViewer, selected 'Channel' from the menu bar, then 'channel list'.

Nothing happened, neither the first nor the nth time (except that the title-bar greys-out, as when any menu command is clicked). No channel list appears - I don't mean a dialog box with no channels in it, I mean no dialog box. However, DVBViewer doesn't freeze this time around.

It doesn't end there! I steeled my nerves to click on 'Options', anticipating the same total freeze-up as first time around. Options opened instantly and worked normally.

I attach the files you wanted.

Regards

Edit

...and deleted the others in the process(!) :D Here they are.

Whoops! missed one.

Edited by neophyte

@anyone.....?

Meanwhile I think I ought to report (in case it gives any clues) that I've installed DVBViewer 'GE' and that it too seems to be working flawlessly.

Except for one thing... It's become obvious that my PC has a serious bug which affects not only DVBViewer apps but everything else as well. Logically, however, it's difficult to see that it can be this bug which could cause a problem only with DVBV Pro 3. and not with either TE or 'GE'.

The bug isn't a DVBViewer issue (except that it's ruining my enjoyment of DVBViewer :) ) but I'm mentioning it 'just in case'. And also because diagnosing/fixing it is beyond my abilities and I'm just hoping someone who reads this might be able to suggest what I might try. What's happening is that at intervals my display freezes (in any app I happen to have open); if audio is playing (I'm using 'line out' from my mainboard's onboard Realtech AC'97 codec) my speakers emit a sound like machine-gun fire while the freeze lasts or - as happened whilst watching TV yesterday - intermittent ear-splitting squeaks. I've run Windows 'System Monitor' and have observed that the trace-line on the graph is interrupted when these freezes occur; each one lasts 10 or 11 seconds. (If I have DVBViewer open there are also short bursts of stuttery video from time to time as well as the freezes).

My system:-

Mainboard: Epox EP8KMM3I

Chipset: VIA Apollo KM400/A-VT82233A

512 Mb DDR RAM

Graphics card: Chaintech/Geforce4 MX440 with 64 Mb RAM. AGP8x. DirectX 9.0c.

CPU: Athlon XP 2500+ running at 1.8 GHz

Technisat Airstar2 DVB-T PCI card

Edited by neophyte
Guest Lars_MQ

which driver for the airstar do you use? have you tried to place the airstar pci card in a different slot? If I remember correctly there was a problem with a specific driver version and soundcard... but I'm not sure.

which driver for the airstar do you use? have you tried to place the airstar pci card in a different slot? If I remember correctly there was a problem with a specific driver version and soundcard... but I'm not sure.

@Lars

The attachment gives driver details. And yes, I have had the Airstar in 2 different slots (I only have 3) at different times and haven't noticed that it's behaved any differently in consequence - tho' I must admit that I haven't tried to experiment with this in a systematic way.

BTW, having continued at intervals to open the Pro version just to see if anything has changed (nothing has so far) I've noticed that every time the status bar indicates that it has tuned itself to 'Das Erste' but with signal at 0% (not surprising since the card isn'f connected to any satellite dish). I've also experimented with copying the 'channels.dat' file from the TE version's folder to the Pro version's folder but this doesn't help.

@Lars

The attachment gives driver details. And yes, I have had the Airstar in 2 different slots (I only have 3) at different times and haven't noticed that it's behaved any differently in consequence - tho' I must admit that I haven't tried to experiment with this in a systematic way.

BTW, having continued at intervals to open the Pro version just to see if anything has changed (nothing has so far) I've noticed that every time the status bar indicates that it has tuned itself to 'Das Erste' but with signal at 0% (not surprising since the card isn'f connected to any satellite dish). I've also experimented with copying the 'channels.dat' file from the TE version's folder to the Pro version's folder but this doesn't help.

please help me:

i added a new turksat channel ini file but i couldnt setup diseq settings so i cant watch any channel. all channels are ready but anyone doesnt open.

i have a diseq 4 port

hotbird is first

turksat is 2 port

how can i do to set diseq. please say me what is problem..

Progress!

As a last resort I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled XP from the installation CD-ROM (not so much in an attempt to solve the problem I was having with DVBViewer Pro as to be able to start again with a clean slate with all my apps). Cutting a long story short, I now have DVBV Pro tuned, and apparently working fine.

What I *still* don't have, alas, is a properly-running HTPC (as reported above). Whatever is causing this problem seems not to be connected with the problem I was having with DVBViewer. I'm at my wits' end to know even whether the problem originates in hardware or software, let alone which bit of hardware or software. The 'freezes' seem *always* to last for exactly 11 seconds, and occur at random intervals not in any discernible pattern or associated with any other single type of event. They still occurred after formatting, before any apps had been reinstalled. Altho' the display freezes, if I (for example) go on typing on my keyboard whatever characters I type appear when the display re-starts.

(I realise this is now off-topic but if anyone's got any ideas I could certainly do with them).

A cause for this kind of mysterious behaviour are often a bad network configuration (it's only a guess...)

I suggest you to:

- check the configuration of all your net card and keep activate only those you really need, for example deactivating Wireless etc...

- set the SS2 IP address to 192.168.238.238 mask 255.255.255.0 and deactivate all unnecessary protocol associated with it (the SS2 need only the TCP/IP protocol!)

- (only to test or if you don't connect to internet with this PC) deactivate the firewall

If this don't help, you can check, during the freeze, if the HD light is on and/or if the keyboard are locked (you can tap on "BlocNum" and see if the relative led react...); in this case you can try to solve upgrading the MoBo chipset driver...

:P

• 3 months later...

A quick update - feeling that I shouldn't just leave things in the air :)

@Lars Thanks for your interest and suggestions. My basic problem continues :) but I won't pursue that further in this thread. My settings are as you recommended, and I've tried switching off the firewall - to no avail. I'm beginning to suspect that the problem *is* associated with DVBViewer but I'll start a new thread about that if I eliminate all other possibilities.

Just to sign-off on this thread. The cause of my problem with DVBViewer turned out to be a rather odd one that may be of no interest to anyone else, but having raised it I feel obliged to report back. I must explain that I run my plasma TV monitor (one of the rare, exotic, Electrograph Delphi DD42 models) at 640 x 480 resolution. At this res, screen objects are pretty large (some spill over the edges of the screen) but at least I can work comfortably with text from the other end of the room. The problem I had was caused by the fact that - for some reason - DVBViewerPro when first installed tends to space-out screen objects (*very* widely, it seems to me) with the result that viewed in 640 x 480 res some of them didn't appear on my screen at all and I therefore had no way of knowing that they were there. When I eventually twigged what was happening I was able, by temporarily changing to my monitor's maximum res, to drag the "off-screen" object onto the area of the screen visible in 640 x 480; having done that once, the object thereafter always comes up in that position.

Could this be said to be a bug in DVBViewer? Not if no one but me has encountered it. otoh I haven't had this problem with anyone else's software, so perhaps Christian might like to check it out sometime? Hardly top priority though...

Edited by neophyte