how to customize keys using up/down for volume

stax

Hi,

I have a little problem to figure out how to customize the shortcut keys. I can't configure DVBViewer to use the up/down key for the volume. I'm badly used to volume on up down since many applications use it as default. Can it be done?

thx

stax

Its quite simple. Go to options, klick on learn, klick on option which should have the key, press key, klick on learn and thats all.

Yeah, tried it, didn't work. Can you please try to put up/down on volume and try if it works? Please note that by default up/down triggers channel up/down but up/down isn't defined at all in the settings except OSD which is handled in a different mode. Doesn't make too much sense, doesn't it? Sorry if I'm missing something stupid (I'm a little bit afraid that this is the problem).

Edited by stax
Guest Lars_MQ

This makes a lot of sense, if you own a castrated technisat rc with not enough buttons (no volume and channel controls). No way to change it. Maybe it will be adressed in a future version but its an minor issue...

So you are saying up/down as volume is not possible? Knowing all the power of DVBViewer e.g. the automation API I'm a little bit surprised about such limitations. (w00t)

A application should always work as the user expects it would, this is very important application design guideline. I like your signature btw.

Many applications use up/down for volume as default. Consider the following scenario. You are watching some TV show and all of the sudden it get's really exciting. You want to quickly turn up the volume, hit the up key because you are used to turn up the volume this way and forgot it cannot work but what happens is the channel switches and you just missed something really exciting. Did happens quite often to me.

Edited by stax
Guest Lars_MQ
A application should always work as the user expects it would, this is very important application design guideline. I like your signature btw.

You mean it should react in 9999 different ways to one event cause every user expects something else? I think you're going overboard here :blink: But of course if you can point me in the directing of the important application guideline for PVR application, I will have a look at it (w00t)

Many applications use up/down for volume as default. Consider the following scenario. You are watching some TV show and all of the sudden it get's really exciting. You want to quickly turn up the volume, hit the up key because you are used to turn up the volume this way and forgot it cannot work but what happens is the channel switches and you just missed something really exciting. Did happens quite often to me

I only know applications which use left and right for volume cause up and down is more logical for channels.

And I also think a propper RC should have separate volume and channel control, you see the exspectations differ. (w00t)

And because of one person (yes you are the first and only one wanting volume control on up/down) it's quite unlikely it will be changed (w00t)

You mean it should react in 9999 different ways to one event cause every user expects something else? I think you're going overboard here

I mean if the key is not assigned in the options the key should not be handled because nobody can expect this. In my case I was confused and I'm not exactly a inexperienced user.

But of course if you can point me in the directing of the important application guideline for PVR application, I will have a look at it

It's more a general guideline, you can read something about it here:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapt...0000000057.html

This guy is famous, maybe you know him already.

I only know applications which use left and right for volume cause up and down is more logical for channels.

I'm thinking up/down is the most used default settings for volume just like numpad +/- is the most popular default setting for channel switching, I've seen quite a few DVB app and media players.

With girder and my Q-Sonic RC I can handle this but I'm often on the desktop using the keyboard. I thought I made some good points, if not I guess I have to live with it, anyway, great work.

Regards,

stax

• 1 month later...

Can't you just change the default key binding in that up/down key is channel up/down. This way Technisat RC could still change channels, I could change volume, you could clean your code and some other users might not get confused. Sorry if it was too much, I'll stop now.

Guest Lars_MQ

No, I'm used to left/right and would get confused and press the wrong buttons.. :bye:

And all the users are also used to it since it's in it nearly one year so I'm sorry to say, but I don't care if you get confused, numbers count B)

you could clean your code

And just for the record the code IS cleaned, I only would have to change only two constants. Thank you.

I didn't say up/down key should be volume by default, I said channel up/down should stay at up/down key but should be handled by the regular key binding and not by some mysterious special treatment. I don't know the implementation so sorry if this don't make sense.