RadLight Filter Manager v1.6

Guest DAvenger

• 1 year later...

I installed PowerDVD 6 but its codec doesnt seem as good as the previous version i had, Power DVD 5. Anyone could direct me to their favorite MPEG-2 codec?

I just feel like I had a better DVB display before PowerDVD 6 and i earsed my Power DVD 5 .exe file...

• 2 years later...

A new RadLight Filter Manager Version 1.5 (RFM) is available:

- Fix: Unnecessary registry write access caused problems in limited user accounts.

However, for registering / unregistering filters or changing merit values admin rights are mandatory!

- Added: Button for saving the the DirectShow filter list as text file (using commas as separators, can be imported in a data base)

- Changed: DirectShow filters whose file is missing are displayed in gray (if a filter has been deleted without unregistering it)

- Added: In case of an attempt to unregister a non-existent filter the RFM offers to delete the according (known) registry keys.

Please note: The RFM is not able to to clean the registry from all keys that a filter might have created when it was registered or running. Only the main keys containing the CLSID (Class ID) are removed, so that the filter doesn't appear anymore in filter lists (including the one in the RFM).

RFM 1.5 can be downloaded from the members area (source code and executable), or, since it is free and open source, by using the following links:

Executable

Delphi 7 Source Code

<Edit>

Go to version 1.6 (recommended particularly for Vista)

</Edit>

Edited by Griga
  • 2 months later...
A new RadLight Filter Manager Version 1.5 (RFM) is available:

However, for registering / unregistering filters or changing merit values admin rights are mandatory!

[

I can register, unregister filters inputting command prompt as admin but can not change the merit values of the filters.

Neither with RadLight nor with DSM i can do it as well.

Is any way?

(OS Vista32 and proppage.dll has been registered)

Edited by ricabullah

You have to run FilterManager with admin rights (rightclick exe -> run as admin). Otherwise it won't have access to edit some keys within registry.

You have to run FilterManager with admin rights (rightclick exe -> run as admin). Otherwise it won't have access to edit some keys within registry.

Thanks a lot!

Ok.

Anyway i am able to change the merit values of third party filters but not of Microsoft's own filters.

MS, as far as i understand, uses it's default filters including EVR just while playing DVDs with WMP and MCE . (I think to protect DRM rights) (so you can get HA activated)- i was able to connect to remote graph while playing DVD with MCE-

here it is

Also a third party application uses its own filters like Ultra.

You can use default third party DXfilters-that you tweaked with Radlight- just while playing recorded video stuff with WMP and MCE without EVR since you can not change its merit.

Any suggestion?

(especially i want to change the merit of EVR cause on WMP and MCE classical video renderer will always be the default renderer so you have no chance to get HA-or shall i unregister quartz.dll? )

Edited by ricabullah
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm a bit confused about registering and deregistering.

Am I right in assuming that Radlight lists all directshow filters that are *installed* on your PC, but they must be "registered" for programs to be able to create an instance of them in their filter graph ?

Am I also right in assuming that when DirectX is installed, all of the Microsoft supplied filters will have been registered at install time?

I've started Radlight filter manager with admin rights as I believe that some functions need this. I'm using Vista in case that is significant.

Radlight seems to have both register and deregister buttons enabled for all of the DirectShow filters that I select in the listbox. How can I tell whether a particular filter is already registered or deregistered?

Many of the DirectShow filters (e.g. AVI Mux, DV Decoder) have their names greyed-out, and their "File Name" greyed-out too. What does this mean? They are obviously installed and registered because programs on my PC can use them, and I can bring up their properties box. And both register and deregister buttons are enabled.

This is all a bit confusing.

Edit: I've just noticed that the filters that are greyed out do not have a full pathname - e.g. "File name: quartz.dll". This does not seem to affect whether they are usable, so why are they greyed-out?

Edited by roeville
Radlight seems to have both register and deregister buttons enabled for all of the DirectShow filters that I select in the listbox. How can I tell whether a particular filter is already registered or deregistered?

If they are shown, they are registered, which means, they have registry entries. That's all. The Register button opens a file dialog, prompting you to select a dll or ax file that shall be registered.

Many of the DirectShow filters (e.g. AVI Mux, DV Decoder) have their names greyed-out,

They are greyed out if the RFM can't determine where the according file is located. Under XP this usually means that the file is not present anymore (deleted or moved without unregistering, so there are left-over registry entries). Under Vista it's a different thing - dunno why the RFM can't find the files for the MS filters. Something to be investigated yet...

Thanks.

They are greyed out if the RFM can't determine where the according file is located. Under XP this usually means that the file is not present anymore (deleted or moved without unregistering, so there are left-over registry entries). Under Vista it's a different thing

The quartz.dll file is in "C:\Windows\System32" on my vista PC - the same as XP I think, so nothing unusual there.

The quartz.dll file is in "C:\Windows\System32" on my vista PC - the same as XP I think, so nothing unusual there.

Ok, but what's in the registry? XP provides the full path to quartz.dll there, but Vista seemingly doesn't.

Do me a favor, have a look at the following registry key under Vista

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1B544C20-FD0B-11CE-8C63-00AA0044B51E}\InprocServer32

(use the RegEdit search function) and tell me what you see there. It's one of the keys for the AVI splitter. Under XP it contains the full path.

Now v1.5.1 shows most the filters not greyed out, but there are still some greyed out filters left (about 20). These filters are all in Program files\Movie Maker.

DirectShow filters that are still greyed out on my Vista PC are:

Allocator Fix

Bitmap Generate

Capture ASF Writer

Frame Eater

Multiple File Output

Proxy Sink

Proxy Source

Record Queue

Stretch Video

Uncompressed Domain Shot Detection Filter

and lots of filters beginning with "WMT"

All of the ones I've checked have the path

%Program Files%\Movie Maker\WMM2FILT.dll

and that file does seem to exist in C:\Program Files\Move Maker\WMM2FILT.dll

Other entries which look OK seem to have pathname of the form C:\....

so maybe the filter manager program is having difficulty resolving the %Program Files% variable?

so maybe the filter manager program is having difficulty resolving the %Program Files% variable?

It doesn't even try :)

Someone out there who knows an API or Delphi function that resolves paths like that?

All of the ones I've checked have the path %Program Files%\Movie Maker\WMM2FILT.dll

@roeville: Try to be more precise resp. use copy & paste. It took me more than half an hour of debugging to find out that it must be "%ProgramFiles%", not "%Program Files%".

@Lars: Thanks. I suppose it will work under Vista. However, CoCreateInstance fails under XP with a path like %ProgramFiles%\DVBViewer\Filters\PushSource.ax

Most of the path are correctly, only the ones for moviemaker seem to be off.

It seems all filters in the quartz.dll only have "quartz.dll" without path. So you have to check in the systemfolder. I tried it with the supporttool, it does seem to work.

However, CoCreateInstance fails under XP with a path like %ProgramFiles%\DVBViewer\Filters\PushSource.ax

Why would you try that?

Most of the path are correctly, only the ones for moviemaker seem to be off.

Maybe CoCreateInstance knows how to expand environment variables under Vista. Or the Movie Maker does it in a different way.

It seems all filters in the quartz.dll only have "quartz.dll" without path. So you have to check in the systemfolder.

I'm considering to show such entries in the RFM non-greyed, but without adding the system path, in order to prevent people from unregistering quartz.dll (at least under Vista) or ksproxy.ax. Seems MS wants to protect these files by not providing the path. However, the Navigate Button won't work either in this case.

Why would you try that?

Just for a test under XP ;)

I'm considering to show such entries in the RFM non-greyed, but without adding the system path, in order to prevent people from unregistering quartz.dll (at least under Vista) or ksproxy.ax.

maybe a check if the file is present (just in case some user tried something really stupid) but no path. ;)

It doesn't even try ;)

Someone out there who knows an API or Delphi function that resolves paths like that?

uses  ShlObj

function GetShellFolder(CSIDL: integer): string;
var
 pidl: PItemIdList;
 FolderPath: string;
 SystemFolder: Integer;
begin
 FolderPath := '';
 SystemFolder := CSIDL;
 if SUCCEEDED(SHGetSpecialFolderLocation(0, SystemFolder, pidl)) then
 begin
SetLength(FolderPath, MAX_PATH);
SHGetPathFromIDList(pidl, PChar(FolderPath));
SetLength(FolderPath, lstrlen(PChar(FolderPath)));
 end;
 Result := FolderPath;
end;

(*
CSIDL_APPDATA (0x001a)
CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA
CSIDL_COMMON_DOCUMENTS (0x002e)
CSIDL_DESKTOP (0x0000)
CSIDL_MYDOCUMENTS (0x000c) //ab Version 5.0
CSIDL_PERSONAL (0x0005)
CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES (0x0026)
CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES_COMMON (0x002b)
CSIDL_TEMPLATES (0x0015)
CSIDL_WINDOWS (0x0024)
Const CSIDL_MYPICTURES = $27 *)

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb762494.aspx

PS.

is Form??.Positon := poDesktopCenter;

or poScreenCenter ?

poDesktopCenter don´t work if the second screen is left

function GetShellFolder

Thanks, but that one is not really usable, because I'm too lazy to do the parsing myself. ;) The function proposed by Lars is much better.

RadLight Filter Manager 1.6 will be released soon.

RadLight Filter Manager v1.6 can be downloaded from the members area (source code and executable), or, since it is free and open source, by using the following links:

Executable

Delphi 7 Source Code

- Rewritten several parts by using faster and more flexible data containers (derived from TList)

- Empty categories are not shown anymore

- Added handling of environment variables in paths (Movie Maker filters under Vista)

- Added handling of filenames without path (ksproxy.ax under XP/Vista, quartz.dll under Vista)

- Essential filter files (those without path and additionally quartz.dll under XP) cannot be unregistered anymore.

- Displays a message box if admin rights are missing (e.g. for registering)

- Added Refresh, Navigate and Save Category as Text File commands to popup menu

- Added right-click selection of tree nodes

- Added hints for some buttons

- Added file version as filter subnodes and in category text files

- Larger default width/height

- Faster memory management with FastMM4

- Removed BlackList Tab (we've enjoyed this joke long enough...)

• 2 years later...