Xepg, Recording Service, EPG Centre

Kiwi_Tim

Hi there,

I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to get EPG into DVBViewer and Recording Service via Xepg. I have DVBV 4.8.1.0, Recording Service 1.8.0.1, EPG Centre 3.1 and Xepg 0.5.0.0 beta all running on the same W7 32bit PC. I had previously had no trouble with Xepg and EPG Centre which I used to import EPG into DVBViewer. The difficulty has arisen after installing Recording Service. I have reinstalled Xepg since installing RS, but no joy. I think I have not got RS and DVBViewer configured correctly. I've tried a lot of different options but I'm not getting anywhere.

EPG Centre is working fine: all epg data is being downloaded without any issues. The problem seems to be getting Recording Service to receive data from Xepg.

In DVBV under Options/EPG and Options/Recording Service I would like to know what I should select or deselect.

In Recording Service/Configure/ Tasks I created a new Task, Xepg:

Process task:

File Name C:\ProgramFiles\Xepg\Xepg.exe

Parameters: -xGrabThenImport

Working Directory: C:\ProgramFiles\GeekZone\EPGCollector

Then I try to run Xepg using the web interface of RS, but nothing happens.

Am I going about this incorrectly?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

New Zealand

Process task:

File Name C:\ProgramFiles\Xepg\Xepg.exe

Parameters: -xGrabThenImport

Working Directory: C:\ProgramFiles\GeekZone\EPGCollector

Then I try to run Xepg using the web interface of RS, but nothing happens.

Am I going about this incorrectly?

Hi Tim!

Well, it's quite many things that could go wrong, so it's hard to say without extensive information about your settings. For your RS process task your Working Directory is not needed, cuz this path to your grabber.exe you set in XEPG. Also check on XEPG "Recording Service" tab that Username/Password, IP adress and port number corresponds with RS settings.

Check if your grabber supports "Silent mode", more specific some kind of parameter like /run in background. If so, use that parameter in the XEPG job you created for this grabber of yours. The import could go wrong cuz RS requires all XEPG/Grabber components must be runned in silent mode. XEPG does it automatically, the problem here should be the Grabber using a visible interface and if executed from a service app like RS, the process task get stuck. You can confirm this by checking in windows taskmanager/processes if your grabber.exe and xepg.exe never finishes. Your grabber.exe should increase in size and exit gracefully if everything is correct...if stuck its size stays the same. In that case terminate both these processes before trying again.

In DVBV under Options/EPG and Options/Recording Service I would like to know what I should select or deselect.

I have "Do not recieve EPG Data" checked cuz, otherwise the provider EPG messes up the xmltv data from your grabber. If wanting "The check for previous recordings function" to work it has to be disabled in RS mostly (but i disable it in DVBViewer as well). The <episode-num system="onscreen" or "xmltv" data has to be placed in the subtitle/event with XEPG Format Editor.

In DVBV/Options/Recording Service you fill in same details as you filled in in XEPG Recording Service tab. Check if you have connection with RS by pressing the "Test connection" button. I have 5 checkboxes activated - "Enable support for RS", "Download EPG from RS", "Send timers to service", "Connect to timerlist" and "Connect to recording list".

Edited by majstang

Thanks Majstang for such a detailed answer.

You mentioned "Also check on XEPG "Recording Service" tab that Username/Password, IP adress and port number corresponds with RS settings", and that was indeed the problem. Once I had configured the Xepg Options for RS correctly, all that sweet epg came rolling in :)

I would like to automate epg collection by waking the PC from hibernation, grab and import the epg, then shut the PC down completely. I imagine windows task shedular and a .bat file would do this for me if configured correctly.

Thanks again for your detailed advice.

Tim,

New Zealand

No need to use windows task scheduler or any bat files, your RS process task timer takes care of all that for you. The process task is a timer abled to wake up your HTPC from standby/hibernation. Set the "Post record action" to "hibernate" and when EPG update is finished HTPC hibernates.