Custom Renderer scaling quality

A.M.

Hi!

I guess it's a known problem but I couldn't find a topic about this. The problem: scaling quality of DVBViewer's custom EVR renderer is quite worse than scaling quality of regular EVR renderer. I suppose it was done so due to performance concerns.

Are there any plans to implement a better quality scaler and make it primary or optional?

Are there some video driver settings that could improve scaling quality? I'm nvidia user.

My observations revealed that the standard EVR applies bilinear filtering, just like the custom EVR inside the DVBViewer does. But since the EVR is tightly integrated with the GPU, results may vary. My tests were performed with an AMD Radeon HD 3650 and quality of the two renderers was pretty much the same. I may repeat the test with a HD 6570.

I am currently rewriting the custom EVR. My achievements concerning image quality so far:

- bicubic interpolation

- no interpolation is performed when source and destination resolutions match

- ps_3_0 support

Can you elaborate a bit on your GPU, the source material and destination resolution? How is quality different?

I am currently rewriting the custom EVR. My achievements concerning image quality so far:

- bicubic interpolation

- no interpolation is performed when source and destination resolutions match

- ps_3_0 support

Great! I hope it'll be in DVBViewer soon :)

Can you elaborate a bit on your GPU, the source material and destination resolution? How is quality different?

My videocard is Geforce 8800 GT. Regular EVR rendering looks very similar to MPC-HC rendering with bicubic (A=-0.75) scaling.

DVBViewer's custom scaler produces aliasing on inclined lines while there is no obvious aliasing with regular EVR renderer.

I tried to upscale PAL SD material to 1920x1200 display.