Streaming To LaCinema Mini HD Connect

mrr19121970

I just bought a "LaCinema Mini HD Connect" for 50 euros from ComputerUniverse. It was the cheapest DLNA client hardware box I could find. I'm pretty impressed. It has played BD ISOs, MKVs and other formats that I've created for my Xoom player or Samsung Galaxy S2. Now I come to the heartache, I bought it to watch live TV with DVBViewer. The delivered FW was 2.02, and after issues (stream ending after 53 seconds meant playing stopped) I upgraded to 2.07.

The issue is that playing does not start until 45 seconds (the OSD says there is 41 seconds of video). Is there any setting in DVBViewer that I can change to speed this up?

Many thanks for assistance.

There is nothing to do. A stream is endless so to speak. The players firmware has to be able to play streams which have no fixed length.

Thinking that the LaCinema was the issue here, I've bought a 2nd generation Western Digital HD TV Live. This box too needs 57 seconds before rendering the audio/video which of course for live TV streaming (changing channels) is simply unacceptable.

Does anyone have any tips or workounds here? How do I get support from the DEVs?

This makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

Perhaps a feature request in DVBViewer will be considered. How about a stream that always is full with the currently tuned channel? This way DLNA clients that need a prefilled larger buffer can be catered for. Similarly channel changing can occur over the web interface of DVBViewer rather than returning to the DLNA client menu?

..if it's video the buffer size is imho not important. A waiting time of 50s or longer must have another reason. With a panasonic tv I have to wait about 4s for live mpeg SD and about 7s for H.264 HD. With HD the buffer should be filled more quickly but the decoder takes probably longer (2s GOPs). It's a different story for a radio service without video. Before the buffer is filled there will be a time out. Only for radio a filler stream could be useful ;)

I was hoping to test/resolve this myself by activating 'auto timeshift' & 'disable audio/video on minimise' in the settings of DVBViewer GUI. Sadly the timesift file was not available in any of the folders in the DLNA client.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the upnp:class needs to change from

object.item.videoItem 

to

object.item.videoItem.videoBroadcast 

There is no need to change anything. It already uses the videobroadcast class.

<DIDL-Lite xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:upnp="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/upnp/" xmlns:dlna="urn:schemas-dlna-org:metadata-1-0/" xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/DIDL-Lite/" xmlns:av="urn:schemas-sony-com:av" xmlns:sec="http://www.sec.co.kr/">
<item id="t#b#00001#00868" parentID="t#b#00001" restricted="true">
<upnp:class>object.item.videoItem.videoBroadcast</upnp:class> 
[....]
</item></DIDL-Lite>

Hi Lars, thanks for replying. I just upgraded from 195 to 196. It took 82 seconds to start playing. Shame, I was hoping that this would be my solution.

well that's interessting.

TStreamManager.Getdocument Host: 192.168.178.66:7522

Range: bytes=987643835240-

transferMode.dlna.org: Streaming

Why on earth does the device request data from position ~919 GB?

The streams are all send without any contentlenght, because it is unknown. And as far as I know this means a "download" of unknown size. So how on earth do they come up with this number?? And more importantly, why?

To be honest, I'm quite confused about their handling. And it will of course cause problems with streaming, because 3 times the get document is activated, which means three times the device is allocated and tuned.

I have the same problem , the time to view some channel is much more than the older version.

I have another problem with the popcorn A300 and some italian channels ( RAI 1 HD and some more ) : with the older recording service version the direct stream was perfect , with the last version I have stop and go continuosly , the other channels seems to go better.

I'll post the support.zip when I'll end some test.

I can confirm that with some DTT channels mentioned in the previuos post , the stream stops and then start , continuosly.

Time to wait for viewing channel is increased in the last version.

support.zip

I came here to post about the same problem of the long delay between starting the playback of a channel and getting to the actual video. It takes almost a minute in my case, too.

Here's a speedgraph:

http://i.imgur.com/MzV1N.png

I started the playback a few seconds after the red line, and the videofeed got displayed a few seconds into the third chunk.

The playback-device is a WDTV Live SMP (3rd gen) with firmware 1.08.17 and DVBViewer Recording Service 1.9.6.0

The stream is playing fine on another computer with VLC as the client, and the WDTV is playing DLNA-streamed media fine from other servers.

One thing which I found odd was that WDTV was displaying the audio-/videocodec as "UNKNOWN" during the time it isn't showing anything, and when the video came on, it correctly displayed the codec information (normal DVB-T MPEG2/AC3 stuff).

support.zip

Edited by hurda7
and the WDTV is playing DLNA-streamed media fine from other servers.

You mean liveTV or existing files?

What about streaming recordings oder other existing media from the RS?

You mean liveTV or existing files?

Existing files, as I haven't found another DLNA-server, which relays live DVB-streams.

What about streaming recordings oder other existing media from the RS?

Recordings made with RS are played, after a delay of approx. 12 seconds.

Apparently WDTV is buffering much longer with TS-files, as the playback of a recording made in MPG was starting much faster (7 seconds).

Maybe it would be possible to stream live-TV as MPG, too?

Also, regarding these nonsensical RANGE requests, I read in another forum:

7.8.22.7 If a HTTP request with a RANGE Header for the

URI can never be processed/satisfied by the HTTP

server, for example, in the case of real-time transcoding

or live contents, the HTTP Server must respond with 406

(Not Acceptable).

If this applies to this situation, and assuming the RS isn't doing that already, maybe this response would force the WDTV to request with a different range?

I'm going to contact WD regarding this, too, as there's clearly some bug on their side of the DLNA-client.

PS: Is there something broken with the email-notification for replies? I have it set yesterday when I wrote the post, but I haven't got an email when you've responded.

Edited by hurda7

OK, now I tried a different DLNA-server with live DVB-serving, and on that the proper video-playback started after approx. 15 to 30 seconds (depending on the channel, for whatever reason). The speedgraph was similar to the one I posted earlier, just with the difference that the first two spikes lasted for a much shorter time (3 to 5 seconds).

Well it dropped the range requests but it still makes 1 x HEAD and 4 x GET request for one playback. I'm at a loss here...

It might. It might help even more if you could provide a dump of the other server you use, so I might spott the difference... :)

thanks. It's the same behaviour. The other server simply ignores at least one of the 4 requests. WD could cut the time down to I guess max 10 secs if they would use the GET as every other UPnP capable device :(.

I'll have to see if I find a workaround for this silly behaviour of the device...

Hi all,

I have to say that direct streaming to popcorn hour A300 does not longer works ; only a channel image appears for a second or two , then streaming stops and popcorn shows me channel list.

VLC works fine ( as usual ... ).

Thanks.

support.zip

@hurda7:

Enable in the configuration program -> Web/UPnP -> Send all audio. It will not help much, but for some channels it might make a small difference...

The guys at WDLXTV have offered a 'workaround' for the custom WDTV firmware. http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/UMSP_plugin_development#Plugins_with_proxies This doesn't help people who have a vanilla WDTV, LaCinema HD or a NetGear NEOTV 550 mind you.

http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/images/4/48/Umsp-proxy-msc.png

Perhaps Lars, this is a solution you can think about on the server side?

Mike.

Edited by mrr19121970

Thaks for the suggestion but unfortunatly this doesn't apply to the problem.

I have now a WD Live TV SMB here, worked with it the whole day and have to say: acceptable device for video playback (in this price range). The LaCie seems to use the same or similar firmware.

Forget it for LiveTV Streaming of DVB. It's not meant for this way of streaming it seems. I tried everything I could think of. The best I can come up is 30 secs till the playback starts. Maybe those WD people should ask Samsung, Sony, the Xtreamer people, the XBMC people, the Linksys kiss 1600 people or the popcorn hour people how to do it right. All these devices need 3-10 secs for the playback of LiveTV to begin.

I'm sorry guys, I'll integrate the changes but there is nothing more I can do about it. Get better hardware, complain to WD or what ever.

I for my part will send this device back.