Dual tuner TBS6680

Hi,

This week I bought dual DVB-C tuner TBS6680. Both tuners work properly with DVBViewer, it tunes all multiplexes, but CI interface does not work – LED indicator on the PCB is ON (both LEDs is ON respectively, if used two CAMs). Show CAM in DVBViewer Menu is grayed.

Both modules are fully functional (checked in tv), Tuner is fully functional with DVB Dream.

How to solve the problem?

Win7 SP1 64bit, DVBV v.4.9.9.2 and 4.9.9.4 beta

Ok, the TBS 6680 has been detected correctly - by the latest DVBViewer Pro Beta, I suppose. The 4.9.6.20 release doesn't have it in its hardware database, because the card is quite new. So in theory CI should work.

I'll send a message to Christian and Lars. Maybe they know more about it...

Thanks Christian, the problem is resolved, both tuners are working to my satisfaction. I wish success to develop other applications, and I expect the next version of the program...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

new version of DVBViewer (5.0) did not bring any improvement for TBS6680 card (dual tuner/dual CI).

With the bundled dynamic library (tbsCIapi.dll v.1.0.0.8) does not work. If I use the library v.1.0.1.1, the DVBViewer works with many restrictions and problems.

What is the problem? I think it's a poorly written driver for Win and/or just the dynamic library, but

people from TBS not want to hear about problems.

Edited by Tony
  • 2 weeks later...

My last post to tbsdvb forum:

DVBViewer can simultaneously record from several TV tuners from various multiplexes (tested with various cards from TechniSat).

DVBViewer can simultaneously record from different multiplexes on both tuners Dual card (tested with dual dvb-t usb tuner LV52T).

Dual Tuner TBS6680 can not simultaneously record on both tuners for scheduled recording another multiplex. In this case, DVBViewer gets into the loop, the CPU load increases to 25% (Intel Core i5-2400 CPU@3.10GHz). In this case, the program can not control or stop. This time tested without embedded CA modules.

My conclusion: There is an error in the driver tuner for windows 7 (64bit).

Please, comment on this

Hi,

I have two questions for the Christian.

Can I expect some improvements of the support of tuner TBS6680? If so, when?

Am I wrong in thinking that it is a poorly written driver for Win7 64bit?

(Retiree)

• 1 month later...

I still correspond with Turbosight technical support. I performed a series of tests for Turbosight, no result yet, I'm waiting for the test results... I'm not quite sure that is a bug in the driver for Windows

Doesn't really matter, does it? Windows bug would be much less likely to be fixed, tho.

DVBViewer has specific CI-support for some other cards, maybe this one would need some love as well..

The dual tuner + CI socket is an attractive proposal. You have to fork out something like 250€ for Digital devices dual tuner solution. Is the card actually capable of decoding 2 separate pay channels simultaneously?

Is the card actually capable of decoding 2 separate pay channels simultaneously? No, it is not able to simultaneously ...

See this forum

http://www.tbsdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=8180

Multiple channels simultaneously would be done via recording service. You could say it matters if the recording service is OK with this card or not! If you do not have recording service set up, it's relatively straightforward.. Main thing is that you setup recording service 1st with your cards. After that when you detect the hardware in DVBViewer, you use unicast or RTPT only, remove the actual cards from DVBViewer. No, you do not have to wipe your existing installation/settings, just removing the dvb cards from "hardware" is enough.

If everything is fine, you should be able to record a program from epg and watch something else at same time. This requires linking DVBViewer and recording service but it's just a couple of tick boxes and "detect" button.

Edited by Barleyman
Multiple channels simultaneously would be done via recording service. You could say it matters if the recording service is OK with this card or not

Wrong! Recording two FTA channels simultaneously is no problem and is indeed an RS thing, descrambling two PayTV channels with one CAM is a huge problem though, especially from two distinct tuners, depending on DVB hardware and driver. TBS is not up to that task. A CAM can only process one TransportStream and even if it can descramble multiple channels from that TransportStream (which not all CAMs can), it would be restricted to one tuner/tranponder/frequency at a time. Only Digital Devices has a solution to that which is quite complex though. It can remux the channels that should be descrambled from several tuners into a temporary TransportStream which is then sent to the CAM for descrambling.

Only Digital Devices has a solution to that which is quite complex though. It can remux the channels that should be descrambled from several tuners into a temporary TransportStream which is then sent to the CAM for descrambling.

Dual tuner DVR boxes can usually do simultaneous decryption, depending on model up to 4 channels or so. I believe it's called MTD aka multi transponder decrypting. If DD setup really does it like you describe, it sounds pretty interesting.

That being said, it's by no means given simultaneous decryption works even with DVR boxes. Our local cable company apparently caved in to pressure from Netflix and HBO and started renting paired Civ1 modules for HTPC users. I guess the two avenues of approach to get dual tuner decryption would be to

a ) buy the DD combination for about 250€ + 5e/month for the paired conax module

b ) buy separate CI and Conax modules for my dvb cards, SmartWi II 1xMany Conax splitter and finally get the paired conax module for 5e/month. This would work out to about 65e for 2 CI modules, 2x30€ for conax modules and 130€ for smartwi with 2 client cards. That would be 255€.

So this way or that, I'd really have to fork out a lot of money for the privilege of watching HD channels on cable. I'm tempted to give them the finger and keep on using netflix + HBO and watch FTA and pay-SD channels.

Before you object, I'm not talking about CI+ aka conax v7 here. Paired Civ1 module is in no way paired to the rest of the hardware.

Is the DD at least working nice with RS and DVBViewer?

I agree, just add: TBS6680 dual tuner, dual CI

Ah yes, dual CI. That'd require 2x5e/month for the paired Civ1 modules. From your comments it does not work well?

Is DVBViewer and/or RS is clever enough to figure out a situation where 1 DVB card has a paired Civ1 module which is the ONLY way to watch HD cable channels regular conax modules?

AFAIK there is no way to enter specific configuration where the "CI" modules have different capabilities.

We can hopefully still discuss whether DVBViewer and/or RS is able to sort out a situation where all the DVB cards see the same channels but there are 2 cards in the system with different options. Does that work? Can I somehow tell RS that "channel A and Channel B are only viewable with CI module X, CI module Z cannot decrypt those but can cope with channels C thru Z. CI module X can decrypt all the channels"?

One way to handle this would be to somehow "hide" channels A and B from the dvbtuners 2 and 3 which cannot decrypt it. Is it possible?

You can assign groups to tuners (which have a 1:1 relation to their CI's) and channels. So you can do the following...

- FTA channels get group A

- PayTV channels of provider 1 get group B

- PayTV channels of provider 2 get group C

You have two tuners:

- assign group A and B to tuner 1: it can now receive channels with group A and group B (because it features the CI/CAM and subscription card to descramble provider 1)

- assign group A and C to tuner 2: it can now receive channels with group A and group C (because it features the CI/CAM and subscription card to descramble provider 2)

So you can use multiple tuners for FTA, but only one tuner for PayTV, which tuner is used depends on the channel and its group assignment. But if there is for example a FTA recording running on tuner 1, you can't watch or record channels from PayTV provider 1 obviously...

Retiree (me) on TBS forum wrote

Mon Dec 24, 2012

DVBViewer v5.0 instalation pack includes tbsCIapi.dll v1.0.0.8. This version of the library does not support paid programs. In other words, can not work with CAM.

DVBViewer v5.0 with tbsCIapi.dlll v1.0.1.1 (beta) can also work with CAM. I kept trying to DVB only tbsCIapi.dll v1.0.1.1.

DVBViewer can display or record one channel paid or free, or series of identical consecutive channels (one tuner, same PIDs).

DVBViewer can even view or record one paid or free channel (first tuner), while TransEdit program can simultaneously scan the entire TV band (second tuner).

Up to this point everything is fine.

DVBViewer displays PIP. When you try to switch to another channel in the same or another multiplex DVBViewer freezes on the main window, the channel in the PIP window on running. When you try to further action, the program gets into a loop and can not be further controlled. Helps the violent end of the program and restart DVBViewer is usually necessary to restart Windows.

(Almost as responded to DVBViewer v4.9.9.4 beta and similarly TBS Viewer.)

This is with the various permutations also happening during the planned recording. The actual computer resumes from hibernation and subsequent recovery sleep is no problem.

As I already wrote, DVBViewer can work with multiple tuners and USB dual tuner.

On the topic of dysfunctional TBS6680 I exchanged a few emails with constantine from Turbosight Europe and steven from tbsdtv. Of course also watch DVBViewer forum...

Since then I have carried out two series of tests. For the second series, I got to test the new driver, but in addition to twice the size did not bring any noticeable changes... I sent the test results at the end of January, their evaluation still waiting. In addition to tests with DVBViewer course, I also tested other programs (TBSViewer, ProgDVB, DVBDream, MS WMC, ...), essentially the same results.

CiNcH> Of course, the possibility to assign different tuners FTA and Pay TV, I considered. It's possible, but it does not solve the basic problem. I was convinced until recently that the problem is in the driver or dynamic library. Today I'm not entirely sure.

Barleyman> I myself DVBV RS use in another pc, but introduce other problems I think is not reasonable. Yesterday you registered for tbs forum, obviously you have not had time to read it over minimum information about tuner :D

Gentlemen, thank you both for trying to help, but everything I've tested the possible. Now I have to wait for a response from TBS (steven)and/or help from Ch.H.

This morning I received the following e-mail from technical support TBS:

Sorry for the delay reply, For the CI DLL's problem ,we are still on solving this.

But have not progress with it.

Any progress we will let you know as soon as possible.

Kind Regards

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

(From TBS forum)

Short summary of the problem
Dual tuner / dual CI TBS6680 PCIe card can not satisfactorily work simultaneously with two tuners

At the end of November 2012 I bought this card. I found that the card does not meet its published specifications. This card does not work with any of the recommended programs (ProgBVB, DVBDream, TBSViewer, DVBViewer), even with Windows Media Center.

The problem I have gradually turned to Turbosight Europe (Constantine), technical support DVBViewer (Hackbart), business department TBS (Hellen) and again on technical support (steven). At the request of Constantine, and then especially steven, I made several series of tests. In my opinion, the last series of tests I have performed, clearly demonstrates the bug in the Windows driver. The results of this latest series of tests I sent to technical support TBS (steven) at the end of January 2013.

After several requests for progress in solving the problem steven early March just admitted that the problem actually exists. It had been more than half a year since my purchase cards and solving the problem is still not.

If it is true that "TBS has an excellent R & D team with many years experience in Providing a high degree of technology integration and development capabilities" (see), where is the problem?

This text is another attempt to force TBS to activity ...

Edited by Tony
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

From time to time, I appeal to TBS R&D team (steven) asking for progress in solving the problem. I get a vague response in terms of problems with DLL tbsDIapi.dll, last today with the fact that the problem is almost solved. I'm a complete layman, so do not get it. DVBViewer (or other soft) freezes even when using only unscrambled. multiplexes, without the need to use the dynamic library and without embedded CA modules. I am waiting for the release of a new version of the DLL but I am afraid that the new DLL will not bring solutions...

• 1 month later...

After several months of correspondence with the manufacturer (Turbosight) of DVB-C tuner for pc (dual tuner/dual CI TBS6680) I finally managed to demonstrate the problem and the manufacturer (steven), the problem began to seriously consider. It turned out that it was a small thing (a little thing for an expert). I got to test the DVBViewer 2.5.5.0, which allowed the cloning of a dynamic link library tbsCIapi. TBS6680 card now works in my expectations (both tuners absolutely independenty – mybe, I hope). I'm testing has not finished and already has been published 2.5.7.0, DVBViewer tests finish. Sometimes I discover tiny bugs on the card it doesn't change anything. Testing so far without Recording Service, when the first test failure has occurred (perhaps again my, maybe the RS ?) ...

Many Thanks, Christian

Retiree