Slow channel switching in XBMC

amiga666

Is any way to improve channel switching using xbmc and DVBViewer add-on? When I change the channels I have 6-5 sec break.

It heavily depends on the DVB card in use. XBMC performs a TEARDOWN and SETUP at every channel change which results in the tuner being reopened at the RS. So depending on how fast the driver of the DVB card does that will channel switching be slower or faster.

With TechnoTrend for example, the CAM is reset on a tuner re-open. Switching channels with a CAM inserted therefore takes more than 10s.

With Digital Devices hardware, I am at approx. 3s.

Best would be, if XBMC did not perform TEARDOWN and SETUP on channel change, see here.

It is not bad, but SETUP/TEARDOWN is also done for each channel change. I end up with 3s with Digital Devices hardware using uPnP.

As long as the XBMC devteam does not change this behavior XBMC is not suitable for LiveTV. XBMC is designed to playback video files. And unfortunately the developers don't watch live Tv ;-)

Well, i am using tvheadend with xbmc and the channel switching is instant even on my Android box (ATV1200), so the tvheadend plugin has no problems with LiveTV,Teardown or whatever.

I am talking about Live-TV. I mostly watch HD channels (1080i and 720p - Sky, ORF).

It is not bad, but SETUP/TEARDOWN is also done for each channel change.

SETUP/TEARDOWN avoids subtle DVB / live playback related problems that may be caused by on the fly channel changes (when using the PLAY command), e.g. buffers still delivering data of the previous channel after the channel/transponder change and such. Over the years we have learned by experience to consider / handle such issues in DVBViewer, but it requires a dedication to this subject that the XBMC developers may not be able (or may not want) to invest.

• 4 weeks later...

tvheadend might ignore those SETUP/TEARDOWN messages.

Isn't it possible to make the Recording Service ignore those messages also (question to devs)?