correct aspect only for 4:3 signal?

RR7

i've just purchased DVBViewer to be used as a set-top box style enviorment.

i have a major issue with the aspect correction.

it seems DVBview is able to know if the signal being received is 16:9 or 4:3 but the aspect correction applies the same to both. this causes me a problem because normally a 16:9 tv would change 'zoom' mode depending on which signal it is receiving. by using DVBViewer this facility is lost and the tv displays 16:9 only.

by setting aspect correction to 'none' then DVBViewer behaves as i'd expect, the picture is stretched on a 4:3 signal. this is quite annoying but even worse is when the tv station is broadcasting a widescreen picture on 4:3 and we have huge black bars on the screen and very poor stretching.

there are two ways around this that i can see, none of which seem to be implemented in DVBViewer.

1) pan and scan zoom options should only apply to 4:3 signal, or it should have seperate settings for 4:3 and 16:9

2) automatic stretching to remove black bars completely from the signal.

item 1 should be reasonably easy to implement? or am i missing the fact it's already there? i'd really appreciate that being fixed as it's about the only thing stopping me from using this full time rather than just being my experiment!

sure hope someone can help :D

1. implemented since some time.

2. will not happen.

The problem with the TV is not DVBViewer related. The TV does never see a 4:3 signal, because the Graphicscard does not support such thing. Remember you use a PC not some hardware build especially and only for TV.

1. implemented since some time.

2. will not happen.

The problem with the TV is not DVBViewer related. The TV does never see a 4:3 signal, because the Graphicscard does not support such thing. Remember you use a PC not some hardware build especially and only for TV.

thankyou for the prompt reply!

i fully understand why it happens, although i cant see this would work any different on a pc monitor either.

From what you're saying, i understand that if i view a 4:3 channel, and set the zoom options up. when DVBViewer detects a 16:9 signal it will not apply the zoom setting?

so far i tried that with the pan and scan, and found that it DID apply the pan and scan setting to both 4:3 signal and 16:9 signals, so my widescreen programs looked vertically stretched.

could you clarify this please?

Which DVBViewer version are you using?

the latest one i beleive, i only purchased it saturday evening. downloaded form the members section.

DVBViewer Pro V3.9.2.0

Edited by RR7
You have set aspectratio to auto? only then a zoom based on format change can work.

currently its set to aspect correct = none and the windows screen resolution is set to 720x576.

if i have it set to auto, it thinks it need to shrink the 16:9 channels down to fit, and so i get black bars on the top and bottom of 16:9 signals and it looks stretched. setting it to none fixes this problem.

i have a maximum resolution of 1024x768 available.

if the zoom controls had seperate settings for 4:3 and 16:9 signals, surely this issue would cease to be a problem? as 720x576 is the correct resolution for PAL TV.

its my understanding that both 4:3 and 16:9 have the same physical resolution and only the zoom changes on a real tv?

try it. 16:9 is not right? zoom it.

Confirmed, as you say it does exactly as I requested so long as it's set to AUTO aspect.

so many options but i missed the magic combination. Thanks!

But some sounds strange. You TV displays the 16:9 picture wrong, seems it thinks it got 4:3. Maybe you can force the TV manually to 16:9 so you don't have to zoom the picture.

But some sounds strange. You TV displays the 16:9 picture wrong, seems it thinks it got 4:3. Maybe you can force the TV manually to 16:9 so you don't have to zoom the picture.

yes, but this is because the PC is connected to the SVHS output, which does not support 16:9 signal switching. so even if the PC resolution is 16:9 the TV cannot detect and adjust.

therefore i have the TV set to always 16:9 aspect. my tv has a 'super wide' mode which stretches the display vertically when a non 16:9 screen is displayed, but this doesnt work over SVHS and it's always activated which means my true 16:9 programming from the PC get zoomed too, which i dont want.

i now have the 4:3 zoom settings on DVBViewer set to replicate the zoom mode my TV does, and the T Vis always set tp 16:9.

doing it this way means that all programming now looks the same as before i started using the PC as my receiver. and aside from a couple of minor newbie config issues i'm having, DVBViewer is proving to be completely awesome!

• 1 month later...

very often now this doesnt work as expected. when the dvb dignal goes back to 16:9 DVBViewer doesnt apply the zoom settings, if you go into the htpc menu then back out the setting is applied and the screen looks right, if i look at the zoom dialog box when it's not applied, the settings themselves are correct but the effect isnt happening..just adjusting one of the sliders a tiny bit suddently makes the screen correct again.

could this be a bug or are there some configs that can cause this to happen? changing mpeg decoder doesnt seem to work. the 4:3 setting seems to always be applied without problem.