Video quality compared to in ProgDVB

ter9999

Please see below comparison shots, the above 2 are in DVBViewer 4.3.1.140, the bottom 2 are in latest ProgDVB. I used 2 DVB cards to see the same channel in DVBV and ProgDVB at the same time.

1005162214148d6994a5529635.jpg

As you can see the logos in ProgDVB is clearer than in DVBViewer. When viewed in fullscreen, the perception is video clarity in ProgDVB is much better than in DVBV. This is a 720x576 SD channel viewed (and took snapshots) in 1920x1080 resolution. My perception is that video in ProgDVB is upscaled by using SimHD in TMT3.. I'm thinking the upscaler in DVBViewer is not good as it in ProgDVB. I both tested by using EVR and EVR Custom, neither can compared to that in ProgDVB.

All these are under the same CCC settings that I selected to let CCC to control the video properties instead letting DVB software do.

Please do compare by yourself. I noticed this difference long time ago.....

So why the difference? No matter I first open DVBV or ProgDVB, the results are the same. I don't have full knowledge of what's triggered the difference, so I'm guessing it was the scaler.. I reported following downscaling issue days ago, in the latest beta, it has been improved...

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?showtopic=39657

2 other users in one Chinese chatting room reported this today, so I listed here to get your attention, because I also noticed this long time ago...

Edited by ter9999
you have to compare the graphs

Both are using PDVD10 video decoder (w/ DxVA) and ffdshow audio decoder. ProgDVB can only use EVR, I both compared it with EVR and EVR Custom under DVBViewer, same results.

I don't know how to check graphs in both players. Please tell.

Also, I selected "Microsoft demultiplexor" in ProgDVB.

One observation added: Even in it's native resolution 720x576, the video clarity in ProgDVB is better than in DVBV.

Sorry, but i can honestly not reproduce worse quality inside the DVBViewer. I know if you dont use the Direct3D output inside the DVBViewer it looks lousy under Vista/Windows7 by using an NVidia Adapter. Anyway i think its fair to post images of the other 2 dvb applications available on the market. This is not a bashing of ProgDVB or DVBDream, but i think since both are up to 2x more expensive than the DVBViewer its should be more than fair that i upload these images. I use PNG as output and almost the same video size and the same video. Unluckily the TS file can not be stopped inside ProgDVB properly without crashing, so i just made a snapshot of the first frame which appeared. DVBDream handled the file like it should, same as the DVBViewer - but this is something which does not need to be mentioned et al :bye:

ProgDVB:

http://img215.imageshack.us/i/progdvb.png/

DVBViewer:

http://img522.imageshack.us/i/DVBViewer.png/

DVBDream:

http://img183.imageshack.us/i/dvbdream.png/

Peter

You could try setting in the setup.xml section "MPEG" the

<entry name="EVRVideoprocessor">1</entry>

if activated (see tweaks -> EVRVideoprocessor) the video processor for EVR will be set. The first item of the video processor list of the driver will be always used, as this is according to MS the best choice (Vista only).

I tried both setting EVRVideoprocessor to 1 and 0, the same result. EVR or EVR Custom in DVBV has nothing to do with the result. D3D settings has nothing to do with the result neither. As you can see the comparison in the native resolution below.

1005171828eb5da58f70736310.jpg

100517183497246dd31d35814f.jpg

1005171922d487b9c849e632f8.jpg

Although it's subtle, the difference is there, and when watched in my SONY 55X4500 LED TV, the clarity is much clearer in ProgDVB.

Edited by ter9999
This pretty much looks like sharpening to me. Maybe ProgDVB sets some of these :blink: . No clue otherwise...

Not only sharpening... I first took snapshot in ProgDVB, then tried tweaking in CCC only sharpen slider to let DVBV had similar sharpen level. Then compared the DVBV and the ProgDVB snapshot, they still looked difference. The ProgDVB snapshot was appealing to my eyes.

To my perception, it's something like the video is going through SimHD in TMT3 in real time. :bye:

100517194106048cad88d194f3.jpg

Edited by ter9999
  • 2 weeks later...

use complex2 shaders in DVBViewer. problem solved.

• 2 weeks later...