Computer freezes when I disconnect

Henk

I've been having a strange problem for a few months now:

Sometimes -- but not always, which is why it is so difficult to pin down -- when I have the DVBViewer running and I am surfing at the same time (dial-up modem connection) and I terminate the connnection (disconnect) then suddenly the whole PC freezes up cmpletely.

Has anyone alse encountered this problem?

I am using the latest version of DVBViewer, Windows XP Home with service pack 1 on an Anthlon 2500+ with everything on board, etc....

Henk

Yep, thats it. You have installed a Fraunhofer Video Decoder. This one comes with decoder packages. Have you installed such a decoder package? Most User have problems after such an installation. We had many user which must a complete new XP- installation after this.

The other problematic thing is the NeroAudioDecoder. This one makes offen trouble.

And last but not least please use Marfi or better DVBViewerSource and not TechniSat Sourc and disable setup4pc in autostart.

Steffen

Hi Steffen,

thanks for your answer. I thought I was using the DVBViewer Filter -- at least this is shown under "Options". And yes, I also had disabled the Sky4PC. In regards to the filters: How can I uninstall or deactivate them. (I can't find them under "uninstall programs" not even with "regcleaner".

Henk

P.S. Yes, I probably have installed (a) decoder pakage(s) -- I know it's there but I couldn't find any file or program installed called "Frauenhofer" anymore.

Edited by Henk

a decoder package ist the best way to distroy the direct show system of windows. We had many user which must made their complete windows new. Many of them have no problems after uninstalling the decoder package but other had not so much luck.

I spoke about Decoder and not programms. If you want to change anything there you can use the Radligt Filtermanager. Under directshow you can find it and change the MERIT to unlikly or unregister it.

Be carful and enable the log option.

You should have only the decoder which you realy need in your system. With decoder packages you have a lot of different decoders, cracked and old decoders which can make a lot of trouble.

Steffen

Thanks again, Steffen!

I used the ZoomPlayer to unregister the filters you mentioned above (Frauenhofer AV & Nero digital audio) as I didn't have the Radlight Filter Manager you mentioned. There are plenty of filters left now (pls. see attached image) -- do I need them all?

I'm using mainly the Intervideo A/V filters with the DVBViewer.

Thanks for your help m8!

Henk

post-7-1095793703_thumb.jpg

RadLight Filter Manager

If you speak German, this instruction will tell you more about it.

The filters look fairly ok. I can't see any nasty things there - mostly the MS stuff that comes with DirectX, though I don't know what's in the upper part.

Anyway - I think the freezing problem is not related to DirectShow filters. Seems to be rather a conflict between the SkyStar2 and the modem. I experienced something similar with a dial up modem some time ago - no freezing, but the SkyStar2 was stopped for some moments when the modem connected, thus spoiling ongoing recordings. It vanished after changing to a DSL USB modem.

So, have a look at the Windows device manager. See wether any conflicts are displayed there. Disable all communication protocols for the SkyStar2 by un-ticking the checkboxes in the properties - you'll only need them for INet via satellite. Maybe it does something...

Thanks Steffen and thanks Griga!

I found the Radlight Filter Manager and the help pages were very helpful.

(Yes, I do speak German. Do they exist in English -- if not I help with a translation of'm as I found them extemely helpful) -- Especially the part about the registry settings for intervideo and DVDexpress filters so that they would use hardware acceleration. It seems I have much less CPU usage now (@15% when before it was > 30%)

Here is the MPEGDec info:

MPEG2 Video Decoders:

---------------------

Elecard MPEG2 Video Decoder: 00700000

InterVideo Video Decoder: 00700000

DVD Express Video Decoder: 00600000

Sceneo MPEG-2 Video Decoder: 00600000

MPEG Audio Decoders:

---------------------

MPEG Audio Decoder: 00600000

InterVideo Audio Decoder: 00700000

DVD Express Audio Decoder: 00600000

I have changed some values that seemed odd:

*** RadLight Filter Manager Log File ***

22.09.2004 22:26:57

Changed merit: Sceneo MPEG-2 Video Decoder

40000002 --> 00600000

23.09.2004 13:24:58

Changed merit: MPEG Audio Decoder

03680001 --> 00600000

Should I still disable the filters I don't normally use? I haven't had the problem with freezing anymore lately, whatever it was that fixed it!

Thanks guys!

Henk

I don't know Sceneo Decoder. But the TE-version normaly use DVDExpress Decoder.

Can you try to change the slot of the SS2? Maybe they use the same IRQ and this makes this problems.

Steffen