Channel 4 HD blocky?

uglyned

Hi,

Does anyone else have a problem with blocky artefacts on Channel 4 HD satellite? If I'm using the custom EVR renderer, it doesn't matter what codec I use, I get constant blocking, like BBC HD used to be before ATi updated their drivers. No blocking at all using VMR9. Channel 4 HD terrestrial is fine with either renderer - no blocking at all.

I have an ATi card, using Windows 7 64 bit. Has anyone else seen this and managed a fix?

Hi,

Does anyone else have a problem with blocky artefacts on Channel 4 HD satellite? If I'm using the custom EVR renderer, it doesn't matter what codec I use, I get constant blocking, like BBC HD used to be before ATi updated their drivers. No blocking at all using VMR9. Channel 4 HD terrestrial is fine with either renderer - no blocking at all.

I have an ATi card, using Windows 7 64 bit. Has anyone else seen this and managed a fix?

Did you try LAV decoder? No DXVA yet, but it is adding next update.

Edited by dvbrewer

Thanks dvbrewer - I had a look at this and downloaded the 64-bit version. I've installed it, and I can see and run the programs from the start menu (Win7 64-bit) but none of the filters are available in DVBViewer.

I tried linking to the ffmpeg resources linked in post 1, but it all seems to be uncompiled. I couldn't find a simple 'download this and install it' link.

Looks very promising though, if I can get it to work.

You're lucky, I can't get anything at all, just a blank screen. Other HD channels work fine though (BBC1, BBC HD, ITV 1 HD)

I probably need to download some custom transponder.ini file, that usually fixes it.

As for your general problem it's probably something to do with the AVC codec you're using, the free ones aren't terribly good in my experiance (ffdshow is rubbish at de-interlacing) the pay codecs are better but not perfect (PowerDVD 11, DivX) - if you watch fast motion it's still "jerky" (recorded video plays back fine though)

P.S I'm using Win 7 64bit, ATI 4870x2 card.

Edited by Soupdragon

Thanks dvbrewer - I had a look at this and downloaded the 64-bit version. I've installed it, and I can see and run the programs from the start menu (Win7 64-bit) but none of the filters are available in DVBViewer.

As Tjod says you need the 32 bit as DVBViewer is a 32 bit app. At the moment it will be no better than ffdshow though for ATi/AMD as DXVA is not enabled yet.

As for your general problem it's probably something to do with the AVC codec you're using, the free ones aren't terribly good in my experiance (ffdshow is rubbish at de-interlacing)

You can enable hardware deinterlacing on ffdshow by ticking set interlace flag on output and NV12 colorspace.

As Tjod says you need the 32 bit as DVBViewer is a 32 bit app. At the moment it will be no better than ffdshow though for ATi/AMD as DXVA is not enabled yet.

There is an RC for 0.45 with DXVA you could try link (uninstall old version first).

Edited by dvbrewer
  • 2 weeks later...

We had also very blocky video with channel 4 HD(NAR)

I re-alligned the LNB's on a wavefrontier T90 with a more accurate satelite alliging tool showing also BER etc...

and now chanel 4HD shows stable video but is erratic, sudden frame jumps and DVBViewer works very slow accessing the menus both within OSD as windows menu's.

CPU use on channel4 HD (NAR): below 10% on an Intel Xeon 2,2 Ghz dual core, 2GB ECC DDR3 ram, Digital devices cines2 V6 nvidia Geforce GT520 with 1GB video memory.

No mpeg blocks tho.Video halts at frequent stages , source not yet known no higher cpu use when this happens and jumps less then a second later to stable video again, audio is always playing fine so obvious video related.

This Xeon setup is much more stable then the previous amd setup. I can accept the loss of channel4 HD(NAR) tho.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem with my ATI 6770. I had to revert to catalyst driver version 11.7 which resolved the picture breakup. I use the microsoft dtv decoder included in win 7 64bit with no problems at all now.

Thanks again dvbrewer.

Interestingly the blockiness came back with the new version but only in DXVA native mode. If I reverted to DXVA copy back mode, it went away. Must be a DXVA thing.

Good enough for me! Thanks for the tip.