In DVB-T ITALIA the LCN is missing, HBBTV doesn't work.

andrea1p

Hello,

In DVB-T ITALIA the LCN numbering, LOGICAL CHANNEL NUMBER, which is very important in Italy, is missing on DVBViewer.

All other software are equipped with it, only missing on DVBViewer.

Do you implement it?

The HBBTV module in Italy does not work in any channel, Rai Mediaset and private channels that broadcast it.

On RAI channels the HBBTV does not load, only the message "missing plug-in" appears.

yQsCGxvwjk14auVv7I14fYb-i4XOFO3QIK4tCuum

Nothing appears on the MEDIASET, SPORTITALIA and other channels.

On the RTL1025, RADIO FRECCIA and other channels, the message that the website was not found appears.

VTh56UMz2TYO2V3WATJ_DUjAiYiu5zSVTo07Rm0F

On others the HBBTV screen appears with the list of loaded TV channels but when you click on one of them it does not work and the message "missing plug-in" appears.

dMFnHwtk2rhXQkkNFIoFTTNDfjU4f8SZtI7WTBa3

NhrCkoB-Ar5Oa3vBNIAvZt8bgfabfPxginhcClT2

Can you do something to make HBBTV work in Italy too?

In Italy, hbbtv only works with version 2.0.

Edited by andrea1p
9 hours ago, andrea1p said:

Do you implement it?

There are no plans to implement it in DVBViewer now. DVBViewer generally does not support user or broadcaster defined numbers. It will be quite laborious to add it, because a lot of things must be changed for it.

However, retrieving logical channel numbers during a channel scan has been implemented in TransEdit last year (see here). It at least allows for sorting scan results by logical channel number and exporting them to DVBViewer (not the numbers, but the scan results in sorted order).

It more or less became a technical (or feasability) study. Of course what we do can't be tailored for Italian DVB-T only, but must cover different broadcast standards (besides DVB-T also DVB-S, DVB-C, ATSC). Unfortunately there is no common standard for logical channel numbers. Even DVB-T broadcasters do it differently in different regions. Particularly on satellite positions there may be more than one numbering system, depending on the provider, so two or more different numbers may be assigned to a channel, thus requiring a selection system, etc. Quite some things that make it complicated...

Since I didn't get much feedback about it, I still don't know if and how it proves its worth in different setups and countries. German broadcasters mostly don't provide logical channel numbers, so there is not much opportunity to test it here. Maybe you want to give it a try...

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2020 at 6:53 PM, Griga said:

It more or less became a technical (or feasability) study. Of course what we do can't be tailored for Italian DVB-T only, but must cover different broadcast standards (besides DVB-T also DVB-S, DVB-C, ATSC). Unfortunately there is no common standard for logical channel numbers. Even DVB-T broadcasters do it differently in different regions. Particularly on satellite positions there may be more than one numbering system, depending on the provider, so two or more different numbers may be assigned to a channel, thus requiring a selection system, etc. Quite some things that make it complicated...

We can take for example Singapore:

The DVB-T2 IRD shall support LCN by using descriptor with tag value is 0x83 (Version 1) and 0x87(Version 2). All services shall be sorted, listed and managed accordingly with assigned LCN. In case duplicated and conflicted LCNs are found, shall be given to services with better signal quality, other services shall be arranged to reserved LCN range.

The channel map shall be from 1-999 with valid LCN’s is being assigned in the range from 1-799 by the broadcaster (Contain all types of services including Radio/Data/Video). The LCN reserved range is set from 800 – 999.

Broadcaster will be assigned with the logical channel numbering (LCN) range for terrestrial FTA channels to facilitate easy access to these channels. For example, by pressing ‘2’ on remote control will allow user to switch to Channel 5, ‘3’ to switch to Channel 8

The channel map shall be from 1-999. A broadcaster may not allocate more than one Logical Channel Number to a service. This is to avoid multiple LCN assignments which could lead to cross reference and confusion.

Users on cable would like to use same numbers like on main STB? Home TS?

Edited by Thelex
  • 4 months later...

In Polish tv channels also is problem with "missing plug-in" or similar issues. It's a bit annoying because the plugin is not free. If I knew that Hbb TV wouldn't work for me anyway I wouldn't buy it :(. Problems with Hbb TV occur with the TVP and Polsat channels.