Universal Remote plugin stopped working in Full Screen

All of a sudden, after many-many years, universal plugin stopped working if DVBViewer is in full screen.

If it is in windowed mode, everything is working normally. For example the channel-up and down keys.

Latest DVBViewer with universal plugin 1.7 used in mce remote status.

Any help appreciated cause I'm going crazy...

Thank you in advance.

7 hours ago, dgian said:

universal plugin stopped working if DVBViewer is in full screen.

Does DVBViewer receive normal keyboard input in this state, or with other words, does it have the input focus?

Thanks Griga. In windowed mode either with focus or without focus DVBViewer takes all the commands normally.

In full screen mode, where it normally has the focus (I clicked on it to be pretty sure), it doesn't accept the commands.

I run the on-screen keyboard, to remain in really full screen mode and when the on-screen keyboard has the focus,

DVBViewer accepts the commands normally. But If I click once in the DVBViewer image, where now has the focus, it stops working.

I always started DVBViewer in a delayed startup bat with the command 

"C:\Program Files (x86)\DVBViewer\DVBViewer.exe" -x5 -x2010

so it started in full screen for ever.

A new try: Clicking repeatedly catches a channel up or down event, after many random clicks 5-40, only if I have it first in windowed mode and then go to full screen.

All the above happens either with EVR custom video renderer OR EVR enchanced video renderer.

Complete craziness all of a sudden.

7 hours ago, dgian said:

In windowed mode either with focus or without focus DVBViewer takes all the commands normally.

I had a look at the code. It registers for receiving WM_INPUT messages in any case, with or without input focus.

On 5/18/2024 at 7:59 AM, Griga said:

Does DVBViewer receive normal keyboard input in this state,

7 hours ago, dgian said:

I run the on-screen keyboard,

There is no keyboard connected to the PC?

7 hours ago, dgian said:

In full screen mode, where it normally has the focus (I clicked on it to be pretty sure), it doesn't accept the commands.

What about full screen mode in playback off state? See Playback menu -> Playback Off.

On 5/18/2024 at 12:09 AM, dgian said:

universal plugin stopped working

How can you know? Maybe the remote control stopped working properly. Or its receiver. Or software associated with it, the remote control driver etc.

What kind of remote control is it? Infrared? Or some other kind of signal transmission?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Griga said:

There is no keyboard connected to the PC?

No, there is no keyboard on the PC because it is used solely as htpc with ir remote control.

But the reason I used on-screen keyboard, is to have really full screen, because if I open for example notepad, then I see the windows bar.

8 hours ago, Griga said:

What about full screen mode in playback off state? See Playback menu -> Playback Off.

With Playback Off, exactly the same behavior as above, either in windowed or in full screen mode.

8 hours ago, Griga said:

How can you know? Maybe the remote control stopped working properly. Or its receiver. Or software associated with it, the remote control driver etc.

What kind of remote control is it? Infrared? Or some other kind of signal transmission?

I don't use any other software except DVBViewer with universal plugin.

The remote control is an ir one, OneforAll in mce mode which is working flawlessly for years.

The receiver is Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations Version 22H2.

The keyboard commands are working in full screen mode (numbers, arrows etc) and when going into windowed mode all the keys are working.

I even uninstalled and reinstalled receiver again, to be sure. Built-in windows driver, no external files. The same behavior.

So everything in hardware is working OK.

So the problem is very specific: In full screen mode only keyboard commands are working, the others (like channelup-down), just stopped.

I tried also the old plugin from Snoopdog MCE 2005 (MR) and this one works OK in full screen mode.

But I can't use it, because it doesn't recognizes all the keys that Universal remote plugin does.

Edited by dgian

FYI, I have the exact same problem, with the MCE2005 plugin from Members site.

In windowed mode it works perfect but in full screen none of the media buttons (play, pause, ch up,down, yellow, red etc etc.) work.

Using keyboard everything works.

When I read this, I also tried that Snoopdog MCE 2005 (MR) plugin and that does work. Haven't found any buttons that didn't so that's good enough for me at the moment.

But definitely seems that maybe some Windows update broke things? It started one day last week after working for many many years. Only thing that has changed is windows updates. 

Posted (edited)

Completely agree with you HD. , one day last week stopped working after many years and I'm almost sure,

If I remember well, it must happened after restarting from the monthly updates from Microsoft.

But which update broke things, or is it just a coincidence? 

Edited by dgian

I think there was couple of updates that were installed last week on the same day - so not able to pinpoint one particular.

Perhaps only way to tell for sure is to roll back if possible, and install them one at a time. That should tell you which one broke it.

I bet if you have a restore point from week ago, it will work with that.

I don't use restore points so it's not feasible for me to roll back.

Apart from that, how can we be 100% sure that an update is the problem?

I think only Griga could seed some light in this situation...

12 hours ago, dgian said:

I don't use restore points so it's not feasible for me to roll back.

You can uninstall Windows updates selectively. Windows automatically creates a backup of the changed/overwritten files. Please search the web for how to do it.

Apart from that, how can we be 100% sure that an update is the problem?

@HD.s observation suggests that it is very likely.

I think only Griga could seed some light in this situation...

Griga has no MCE remote, he can't test, reproduce or debug the issue, all he can do is blind guessing ;)