Configure H.H Motor Diseqc 1.2

Ahmed Ismail

Hello,

I was using the program with my 8-way 1.1 Diseqc switch, and it was working perfectly.

Recently, I updated my setup to an H.H Motor Diseqc 1.2 like the one in the attachments.

I'm trying to configure how to set it up correctly with the program, but I couldn't for two days now.

It supports both Diseqc 1.2 mode and USALS mode, which I managed to find in the program, but it didn't work. I think it misaligned the motor from its correct position on my set-top box (second photo in the attachments).

Is there any way to setup Diseqc 1.2 mode on DVBViewer?

Thank you in advance.

MG_3900.jpg

2024-05-23_05-11-23.png

11 hours ago, Ahmed Ismail said:

TeVii S471 DVB-S2

As far as I can see, DVBViewer supports DiSEqC 1.2 with this device. However, I have no possibility to test how it works, because I neither have an S471 nor a H.H motor.

Generally I would recommend to first try motor control with the DVB transponder list editor / scanner / analyzer program TransEdit. You can download it from the members section. TransEdit contains a positioner console, allowing to manually send DiSEqC 1.2 commands to your motor and to check if it responds as expected. The DiSEqC chapter in the TransEdit manual also provides hints for setting up DiSEqC in DVBViewer. If you can make it work in TransEdit, it will most likely work in DVBViewer in the same way.

Hello, Griga,

Thank you for the reply.

I can see the Positioner Console tab in TransEdit, but how to work with it?

There's no indication of the signal strength to show me where to move and stop the motor.

Even if it worked, will I have to use this tool every time I'm trying to move to another satellite?

Also, in the Diseqc Editor in the DVB I can find a command for motor, but it's the same, no way of configuring the signal correctly with the preset position for example.

And as I said earlier, the angular position (USALS) misaligned the motor.

7 hours ago, Ahmed Ismail said:

I can see the Positioner Console tab in TransEdit, but how to work with it?

There's no indication of the signal strength to show me where to move and stop the motor.

You can use the TransEdit Analyzer simultaneously. It shows the signal quality. However, the signal strength/quality indication provided by DVB device drivers is mostly unusable. I would rather use a satellite finder. Doesn't your motor provide facilities for adjusting it? I can't help you much in this respect, because I have no experience with this kind of equipment.

Even if it worked, will I have to use this tool every time I'm trying to move to another satellite?

If you can make "Go to Preset" or "Go to Angular Position" work with this tool, it should also work in DVBViewer.

Also, in the Diseqc Editor in the DVB I can find a command for motor,

Zwischenablage01.png

And as I said earlier, the angular position (USALS) misaligned the motor.

Did you enter your site data (latitude / longitude) correctly?

• Like 1

Hi Griga,

Thank you so much for this detailed explanation.

As for my site data (latitude / longitude), I entered them as advised by the technician who installed the motor, he said the latitude on the motor is 32 degrees and I should work based on that.

I'll give it another try to see if I can get it to work this time.

I have one last question though, after I set the site data for every satellite, will the DVB move automatically to the selected site? 

This is the whole idea of using the motor.

41 minutes ago, Ahmed Ismail said:

after I set the site data for every satellite,

You only have to set it once. Site data is the latitude and longitude of the place where you live, not of a satellite. Entering the site data is necessary because satellites appear at a different position in the sky, depending on where you are. Please read more about it here.

Information about the latitude and longitude of your site is available in the internet, e.g. here.

I know that it's the place where I live, not the satellite. I mean to set every satellite to the USALS system for the first time manually instead of Diseqc 1.2.

The last question though, after I set the site data for every satellite, will the DVB move the motor automatically to the selected satellite? 

Or should I do anything else?

13 hours ago, Ahmed Ismail said:

after I set the site data for every satellite

This sentence doesn't make sense. ;)

TransEdit/DVBViewer need three angles for calculating the motor position:

• The orbital position of the satellite(s).
  • The latitude and longitude of the place where you live.

Let's assume you are living in Cairo and you want to receive Nilesat. You have to do the following:

• Download a transponder (frequency) list for Nilesat 7.0° W from KingOfSat (click the disk symbol) and store it in the Transponders sub-directory of the DVBViewer configuration folder (usually C:\ProgramData\CMUV\DVBViewer\Transponders).
  • Launch TransEdit and select the Nilesat 7.0° W transponder list on the left side of the main window. TransEdit already knows the orbital position 7.0° W, because it is stored in the transponder list.
  • Open the Positioner Console, enter the site data for Cairo (please note that the longitude for Cairo is East) and click Apply (this also stores the values for DVBViewer). TransEdit now calculates the angles under which Nilesat 7.0 W appears in the sky (azimuth, elevation), as seen from Cairo, and to which angle the motor must be moved to receive  it.

Zwischenablage01.png

• Click "Go to Angular Pos.", check if the motor moves correctly and if scanning/analyzing Nilesat works.
  • If you want to to let TransEdit move the motor without the Positioner Console to the according position as soon as you try to receive Nilesat, set DiSEqC for the Nilesat transponder list on the left side of the TransEdit main window to "Angular Pos.", click Apply and Save. This also sets up DiSEqC for DVBViewer, because it uses the same transponder list.

Basically that's the way to go...

Hi Griga,

Thank you so much for this detailed guide, I'll try it out ASAP.

Excuse me if I took too much of your time, I was not ready for this upgrade with the DVB :D

Have a nice day.

UPDATE:

Hi again, Griga,

Unfortunately, the program didn't work at all with the motor. It couldn't move it to the orbital position of any satellite after entering the correct USALS values.

I tried everything within DVB and TransEdit, but to no avail.

I found another software that worked well with the motor though.

Anyway, thank you so much for your help.

Zitat

the program didn't work at all with the motor

It's important to prepare the motor/dish very carefully, before using USALS.

Your vertical motorpole has to be accurate and you have to know your "local" South.

For example: The local position of my dish is at 7.01 E. (in northern hemisphere)

So it's very easy to first align my dish to local South, i.e. Eutelsat 7 E.

(My way: Settings of 7E on the box, activate an uncrypted service and turn motor+dish until service ist optimal tuned)

Otherwise you can use compass to determine your South.

Then, drive the motor to reference position, adjust the dish into this reference-direction to the motor-arm and then manually turn Motor with !! fixed dish to your local South.

(Don't use any step 'commands')

Finally fasten the screws.

Btw:

If your position is in southern hemisphere you had to change the "direction of rotation" within motor configuration.

4 hours ago, Darwin said:

It's important to prepare the motor/dish very carefully, before using USALS.

I already have the dish and motor perfectly aligned. According to my location, my local south satellite is Arabsat 30 E.

Everything works fine with no problems on my box, the entire satellite arc is okay, also with another program with the TeVii S471 DVB-S2 device.

The problem I faced with the DVBViewer is that it can't move the motor, I don't know why.

Motor : Motek 2100A (DisEqC 1.2) > 100 cm Dish > Quattro-LNB

Device: TBS 5520 SE

No problems with moving from 40°E to 30°W if connected through Line 1 to motor.

For example Astra 3: DiSEqC - Extended  >  Edit  >  ... Positioner - Angular Position - 23.5°E ( <-- set auto by .ini )

Otherwise (motor normally controlled by CST-Tank under Neutrino) DVBViewer is connected to Quattro port 4 per DiSEqC 1.1 = 2 > DiSEqC 1.0 = 4

Extended-Option is very usefull to adjust sequence and timing (=delay) within complex installations.

Big thanks for this option !!

Thanks for feedback! So basically driving a motor with "Angular Position" in DVBViewer is working well. However, DVBViewer in combination with a TeVii S471 and a motor seems to be problematic ;)

On 6/2/2024 at 11:59 AM, Darwin said:

No problems with moving from 40°E to 30°W if connected through Line 1 to motor.

For example Astra 3: DiSEqC - Extended  >  Edit  >  ... Positioner - Angular Position - 23.5°E ( <-- set auto by .ini )

I already tried this option, but it didn't work!

I also tried DiSEqC> Angular position> Site... and entered my site data. The motor doesn't move.

Yet, it moves well with my set-top box and another DVB program, with the exact same site date.

What am I doing wrong here?

2024-06-10_05-22-24.png

UPDATE:

I gave it another go with a bit far east satellite and it worked!

I was at first just trying to move the dish and scan for satellites closer to 7W, like 4W, Bulgariasat 1.9E, Eutelsat 3E, 7E, and 9E.

I tried to try and go for Hotbird 13E, and the dish actually moved!

I tried another one, Eutelsat 16E, it didn't work, Astra 19.2E also didn't work.

I thought of something that could be the bug, not all the satellites are shown in the Available Reception Types menu, so I downloaded some .ini files for my desired satellites.

All these satellites didn't work, only Hotbird 13E worked because I didn't download the .ini file, it was already in the database of the DVB.

Could this actually be the cause of the problem?

Here's a screenshot of the menu I'm referring to:

https://www.mediafire.com/view/0u8pbzykkol7crw/2024-06-10_18-22-35.png/file

Your site data (see above) is correct ?

32.0 N /32.8 E is north of PortSaid within the Mediterranean Sea ?

If longitude position on 32.8 E is correct, you can the motors reference position align to Eutelsat 33  (Position 33° E).

See my previus explanation relating to "real south".

(Replace 7°E with 33°E)

Btw:

Zitat

8-way 1.1 Diseqc switch,

Your TeVii S471 DVB-S2 is connected to the 'control' wire through the motor ??

8 hours ago, Darwin said:

Your site data (see above) is correct ?

32.0 N /32.8 E is north of PortSaid within the Mediterranean Sea ?

Yes, it's correct. New Damietta City, by the Mediterranean. Eighty KMs west of PortSaid. I already aligned other devices accordingly.

For example, my set-top box can receive satellites from Hispasat 30W to Yahsat 52.5E.

Also, my TeVii S471 DVB-S2 can receive the same range with another DVB program other than DVBViewer with no problem.

9 hours ago, Darwin said:

Your TeVii S471 DVB-S2 is connected to the 'control' wire through the motor ??

Yes, it's connected directly to the motor.

vor einer Stunde schrieb Ahmed Ismail:

New Damietta City, by the Mediterranean. Eighty KMs west of PortSaid.

Google Maps tells me this would be more likely 31.44 N / 31.67 E, as @Darwin wrote your coordinates point directly in the sea, ~100 km away from any coast 😉

To be honest I don't know if this difference is really important.

15 hours ago, HaraldL said:

Google Maps tells me this would be more likely 31.44 N / 31.67 E, as @Darwin wrote your coordinates point directly in the sea, ~100 km away from any coast 😉

That's really not an important difference, as the system already works with great signal numbers. These are my actual coordinates: 31.43N, 31.66E.

The technician who installed the system told me to use these coordinates, based on the alignment of the motor and dish he set.

Anyway, up to this moment, DVBViewer didn't work well with these settings. I don't know what else to do, especially since the other DVB I'm currently using is not that great like DVBViewer.

Zitat

I don't know what else to do

Did you set the "reference position" ( == zero setting of motor moving area) eplicitly equal to your real south within DVBViewer/TransEdit ?

Some background:

Positioner Application Note v1.0 ( https://www.sat4all.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=99802 )

DiSEqC-Settings ( https://www.DVBViewer.com/griga/TransEdit E/DiSEqC.html#Title )

Positioner Console ( https://www.DVBViewer.com/griga/TransEdit E/DiSEqC.html#Positioner )

Happy reading...

3 hours ago, Darwin said:

Did you set the "reference position" ( == zero setting of motor moving area) eplicitly equal to your real south within DVBViewer/TransEdit ?

I don't know what you mean by that. Where can I find this option?

This is what I see when I choose a satellite from the Transponders Folder within TransEdit:

https://www.mediafire.com/view/p4i1lqt0hlklro2/2024-06-14_18-44-31.png/file

This is what I got after a fresh installation of the DVBViewer:

https://www.mediafire.com/view/vf5xjcuhfafn8vr/2024-06-14_18-44-50.png/file

The motor was at Astra 23.5E by the other program, I tried to use DVBViewer for a scan, but I just got like 30 channels from 113 transponders.

I then tried to scan another satellite, I chose Astra 19.2E from the provided list of the DVB, but I got 7 channels from a common transponder on Astra 23.5E, which means the program didn't move the motor.

I also tried TransEdit to move the motor with the Positioner Console option, but I got no signals from the satellites provided in the list.

Positioner Application Note => Page 9, => 3.7 Store Satellite Position

Zitat

The parameter byte ‘00’ (i.e. Satellite Position 0) is reserved as a “reference
position” which is not valid for storing satellite position data. However, some
applications may require a specific command to Enable (Soft) Limits, so all
Masters (i.e. Tuner-receiver/IRDs) should be capable of transmitting
command ‘6A’ with a data byte ‘00’, either specifically as an “Enable Limits”
user-command, or by allowing “Position 0” to be selected for the “Store
Satellite Position” installation command.

Calculating the angel for the dish-moves amid Angular Position needs this correct reference position = your real south  (i.e. 31.66 E).

Turn your motor/dish unit manually to real south (DVBViewer with ESat33- or 31-Settings helps to align, otherwise use compass to local south)

Use positioner console (TransEdit)

Input "0" into 'Position' field ("0" = Reference)

Press "Store Preset" Button

Whenever you lateron check your installation, use position=0 and 'Go to Preset' (aka 'drive to reference position')

I you afterwards see a program from Eutelsat 33 or 31 (see above), your Dish has the correct base.

Btw.:

Also moving with 'position index' needs this reference position and subsequent 'Calculate Positions'

Edited by Darwin