TBS6909x . 8 Tuner Card simultaneous recording How to setup and what computer requirements

mediamonitor

Hello Everyone

I have the TBS 6909x Octatuner card and I want to set it up in a way where I can continuously and simultaneously record 8 channels 24 hours all the time.

I need your help and experience in achieving this

Does the DVBViewer Program allow to do so?

What Computer requirements will I need to do this? CPU i5 or i7? Ram 16GB 32GB 64GB? GPU RTX 4060, 4070, 4080?

I am planning to have an SSD for the basic computer requirements and a 22TB HDD for recording

Has anyone done this before what are their recommendations?

Usually the satellite feed is in TS format is it better that way or should I use MP4?

Please share your thoughts for the ultimate setup

16 minutes ago, mediamonitor said:

Does the DVBViewer Program allow to do so?

Yes. However, recordings are limited to a duration of a bit less than 24 hours. So timers with automatic repetition have to be set up for starting a new recording after the time has elapsed.

17 minutes ago, mediamonitor said:

What Computer requirements will I need to do this?

Recording only requires little CPU load and memory. No high-end equipment is needed for it. Recording a 12 MBit/s HD channel with an old  i7-3770 CPU yields a CPU load of 0.1% here (with playback switched off). The HDD load is below 5%.

19 minutes ago, mediamonitor said:

Usually the satellite feed is in TS format is it better that way or should I use MP4?

DVBViewer doesn't support recording in MP4 format. However, the DVBViewer Media (and Recording) Server supports transcoding to MP4 as after-recording-task. For performing a lot of recording the Media Server is recommendable anyway, because as a Windows service it does it silently in the background.

So will it be able to handle recording 8 channels all at once from different transponders? 

55 minutes ago, mediamonitor said:

So will it be able to handle recording 8 channels all at once from different transponders? 

Yes.