6 Newbie Questions!

antdude

I am using DVBViewer Technisat Edition v4.3.2.1208 that came with my new Air2PC-ATSC-PCI HDTV tuner card (http://www.bbti.us/products_air2pc_atsc_pci.htm) and its Web site. I have a questions as a newbie. I am using over the air (OTA) rabbit ears antenna set since I don't subscribe to cable and satellite TV services. I am in Los Angeles area, USA, if location makes a difference.

1. I can't get any subtitles/closed captions even on TV shows that I know have like on PBS stations.

2. Changing channels resets video brightness to darker videos. Have to use Display... to adjust again (default sometimes fixes it too). Is this a bug?

3. Does DVBViewer lets me screen capture? I wasn't able to find a hot key or option. Is there one?

4. Using timeshift key. How do I activate this via menu? Also, I am confused how I am supposed to know if it is in time shift mode or not. Sometimes, it seems like it doesn't work at all. I have to restart DVBViewer just to make it work again.

5. Is there a way to record without having DVBViewer running before its scheduled times? Why do I need to run it for the scheduler to work? ATI MMC has its scheduler program/service to handle this. I used to own an ATI Radeon 9800 All-In-Wonder card before I got the HDTV tuner.

6. Is there a way to set what resolution to receive? Like less than 1080.

Thank you in advance. ;)

Edited by antdude

Sorry two more questions instead of six!

7. Is there a way to to show the analog TV station numbers linked to the HDTV channels? For example in my area, KABC is channel 7 on analog TV but it is channel 53 on HDTV. I am going to get confused with the new numbers!! ;)

8. Also, is there a way to input numbers on keyboard to change channels like a remote control? For example, I type 53, I go to channel 53 for KABC station. When I try it, it gives me some foreign ones (e.g., Eurosport) and obviously doesn't exist for me. I thought I cleared the default channel lists.

9. Is it me or is the FPS (frames per second) isn't high as analog? It looks like 20 FPS to me. Is this normal?

FYI. My system specifications: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ system with 1.5 GB of RAM, Windows XP Pro. SP2 (all updates), XFX GeForce 6800 (128 MB; AGP), Air2PC-ATSC-PCI HDTV tuner, etc.

Edited by antdude

Sorry for the delay, some of your questions are caused by the ATSC problem.

1) I travelled to boston/nyc in the last months in order to collect informations about the ATSC subtitling and other stuff.

Honestly it is pretty confusing - since the format used in usa is completely different to the stuff used in the rest of the world.

2) According to the channel numbers you can easily resort the list, either inside the application or better by using the external channel editor.

3) You can also simply enter numbers like on a remote, but you have to assign the keys 0-9 in the options.

4) Concerning the screen captures: They can be done, but not in overlay mode.

Timeshift.

5) Recordings can be controlled by the windows scheduler. To use this function you need the scheduler plugin which can be downloaded in the members section (only for pro version customers). In this case it is even possible to start your computer from hibernate mode.

6) The resolution is defined by the received source. If your broadcaster only transmits in PAL/NTSC Format you won't be able to watch HDTV.

Christian

PS: The most of the questions are answered by the FAQ or the manual -_-

1) I travelled to boston/nyc in the last months in order to collect informations about the ATSC subtitling and other stuff.

Honestly it is pretty confusing - since the format used in usa is completely different to the stuff used in the rest of the world.

2) According to the channel numbers you can easily resort the list, either inside the application or better by using the external channel editor.

3) You can also simply enter numbers like on a remote, but you have to assign the keys 0-9 in the options.

4) Concerning the screen captures: They can be done, but not in overlay mode.

Timeshift.

5) Recordings can be controlled by the windows scheduler. To use this function you need the scheduler plugin which can be downloaded in the members section (only for pro version customers). In this case it is even possible to start your computer from hibernate mode.

6) The resolution is defined by the received source. If your broadcaster only transmits in PAL/NTSC Format you won't be able to watch HDTV.

Christian

PS: The most of the questions are answered by the FAQ or the manual -_-

Hi, thanks for replying! It sounds like your product isn't fully compatible with ATSC. Hence, why I have a lot of problems. Do you happen to know any other Windows software that will work perfectly with my HDTV tuner card? Right now, the biggest problem is that the program likes to pause or freeze that I have to end task it. You can see it in my http://www.DVBViewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10054 thread.

Well not fully compatible sounds too negative -_- The scanner is 100% compatible, as well as the NTSC/PAL/HDTV receiption. What's not working is ATSC closed captioning (which is pretty funny - i thought i was staring on a teletext subtitle while looking on it) and epg broadcasted by the transmission. The last one can be overridden by using the xmltv importer. According to the cc subtitles: it is on my to do list..

Christiani

I think you have a broken link. In http://www.DVBViewer.com/en/index.php?page...ter=h⊂=h3 Web page at section for "A screenshot of the running show with [PrtScr] just shows a black DVBViewer window.", its link takes me to http://www.DVBViewer.com/en/index.php?page...ter=j⊂=j2 for "AC3 / Dolby digital".

For screen capturing, I only saw Unchanged and Overlay. Where do I get/find DirectShow Filters? I already had DirectX 9.0c installed many months ago (since its release). I forgot to mention that I used to have an ATI Radeon 9800 All-In-Wonder card, then recently got the HDTV tuner and XFX GeForce 6800 (128 MB).

Edited by antdude

I added the channels to Channellist. I seem to lose these added channels after exiting and reloading DVBViewer. What am I doing wrong? :(