DVB Viewer freezes during recording?

antdude

Does anyone know why my DVBViewer Technisat v4.3.2.1208 freezes a lot (doesn't matter if it is playing video live or recording). When frozen, the CPU usage is sometimes almost at the maximum, but then using it without freeze problem is like that too. I have to end task the program when frozen.

I assume this is OK: Athlon 64 3200+ system with 1.5 GB of RAM, Windows XP Pro. SP2 (all updates), XFX GeForce 6800 (128 MB; AGP), Air2PC-ATSC-PCI HDTV tuner, etc. It had happened within the last two days so far. Is it because of weak signal with my cheap set of rabbit ears for over the air (OTA) feeds?

Thank you in advance. ;)

Edited by antdude
  • 2 weeks later...

After using DVBViewer some more, I noticed a few more things. It is not just recording that freezes. Even just watching live feeds can freeze too. The freeze is sometimes so severe that the program needs to be end tasked. Is this a result of poor over the air feed? I only get about 60-80%.

May be caused by missing data packets due to a poor signal quality. Do you get a jerky picture or similar drop-outs between the freezes?

If Setup4PC or Server4PC (TechniSat stuff) are running in the background, remove them from the autostart folder (but do not uninstall!). DVBViewer doesn't need them running.

However, you can use Setup4PC -> status page to check the signal quality and number of lost packets while DVBViewer is running.

May be caused by missing data packets due to a poor signal quality. Do you get a jerky picture or similar drop-outs between the freezes?

If Setup4PC or Server4PC (TechniSat stuff) are running in the background, remove them from the autostart folder (but do not uninstall!). DVBViewer doesn't need them running.

However, you can use Setup4PC -> status page to check the signal quality and number of lost packets while DVBViewer is running.

Yup, I get jerky pictures, dropouts, and pixels/blocks. I do not have Setup4PC and Server4PC running either.

So, are you saying I need 100% signals to avoid this especially DVBViewer crashing? I am only using a cheap set of rabbit ear antenna. DVBViewer shouldn't even crash from poor signals. :)

DVBViewer shouldn't even crash from poor signals.

It shoudn't. Maybe the TechniSat components that are used by DVBViewer TE are crashing, don't know. There are similar reports in the German forum.

The more advanced versions (DVBViewer GE/Pro) are more fail-proof, because they are based on a self-made source filter (though I don't know if they work flawlessly with ATSC... nobody can test it here). However, a DVBViewer TechniSat Edition *has* to use TechniSat components, you know... :)

I am only using a cheap set of rabbit ear antenna.

...that gives you cheap results. Even if DVBViewer TE wouldn't crash, recordings would be unusable.

DVBViewer shouldn't even crash from poor signals.

It shoudn't. Maybe the TechniSat components that are used by DVBViewer TE are crashing, don't know. There are similar reports in the German forum.

The more advanced versions (DVBViewer GE/Pro) are more fail-proof, because they are based on a self-made source filter (though I don't know if they work flawlessly with ATSC... nobody can test it here). However, a DVBViewer TechniSat Edition *has* to use TechniSat components, you know... :)

I am only using a cheap set of rabbit ear antenna.

...that gives you cheap results. Even if DVBViewer TE wouldn't crash, recordings would be unusable.

What do you mean by unusable? Did you mean by unwatchable (no picture and no audio type of problem)?

What are people saying about the problems in those reports? I can't read German so... Do you need help? I can be your guinea pig. I do software quality assurance testing and analysis for living. :(