Enable "Copy to clipboard" action in EPG window

daffy

* Start DVBViewer

* "DVBViewer -> EPG Window ..."

* Select any channel that has EPG data

* Try to copy various EPG information elements to clipboard, e.g. anything from the Details section, using the *mouse*

//exp: succeeds - data is in clipboard

//act: no way

The key problem here is that it is complete non-obvious that the data can actually be copied to the clipboard for two reasons:

a) The appearance of the controls is non-standard, i.e. they do not look like read-only input controls and they do not allow for the caret to be placed in them, highlighting only a specific selection.

-_- There is no context menu ("Copy") which would hint at the functionality being available.

Nothing major, but ... well, DVBViewer is short-selling itself here.

As far as I can remember, Christian did it this way because the usual "copyable" controls displayed some foreign character sets incorrectly. DVBViewer is broad-selling itself, as you might know... :)

That's why DVBViewer GE provides a Copy Button in the EPG window, that copies the EPG data of the selected entry as a whole to the clipboard - a simple solution, maybe for DVBViewer Pro as well.

As far as I can remember, Christian did it this way because the usual "copyable" controls displayed some foreign character sets incorrectly.

Sigh.

See, I have gotten so much accustomed to always ever use a language-neutral encoding (e.g. UTF-8) internally and only performing user interaction (read/write/display) in a language-specific fashion, that I have almost forgotten about this kind of problem ;-)

[borland Kylix on Linux with QT/CLX and the complete .NET framework on Windows, for instance]

If we talk VCL, then DVBViewer definitely has a problem :-/

Basically the only way to get around this is to emit using the GDI and "W" (Unicode) functions which at last will *display* the right things (hoping that this is supported by Windows Playstation.).

That's why DVBViewer GE provides a Copy Button in the EPG window, that copies the EPG data of the selected entry as a whole to the clipboard - a simple solution, maybe for DVBViewer Pro as well.

Yes, that seems to be the only way, and a quite reasonable route to take :-)

If we talk VCL, then DVBViewer definitely has a problem :-/

If we talk DVB, DVBViewer has even more problems. ;) Some broadcasters have *very* uncommon ideas about which characters to use for EPG and teletext. I know that Christian spent a whole lot of time with exploring strange east european habits...

I'd say, let's write a book "Programming DVB Applications" with an innovative dialectical approach (at least in the sphere of technical literature): You do the first part "How it should be done", and Christian, Lars and me the second "Why it doesn't work as suggested". :)