Only receive channels from 1 (of 2) LNBs

Luuk

Dear all,

I have a curious problem. I am using the latest version of DVBViewer (V 3.2.6.80)but can only get the channels of one satellite. I have a two-LNB setup, one directed at Astra2D and one at Astra1A. I receive channels from both on my MVision 7000 satellite receiver but not on the computer where I use a Pinnacle 400e USB card (I used to have exactly the same problem with a Hauppage Nova-S card). At the moment whenever I do a channel scan all it finds are the channels belonging to Astra2D (BSkyB), irrespective of what I enter (PosA/OptA or PosB/OptA or any of the others). I can also enter whatever I want under "root", that does not make any difference either.

A few days ago it was exactly the other way around. That means I now do have a channellist of both satellites, but clicking on an Astra1A channel leaves me with a blank screen (and no sound or EPG info either).

Any idea what is going on?

Luuk

What kind of LNBs?

A few days ago it was exactly the other way around.

Maybe you've used some other software that knows how to do the switching and left the device in that state.

where I use a Pinnacle 400e USB card

Is it running with a BDA driver?

AFAIK DVBViewer Pro contains code for using a Pinnacle device without BDA driver, including DiSEqC commands, that should do the Pos/Opt switching.

I used to have exactly the same problem with a Hauppage Nova-S card

The Nova-S was running with a BDA driver for sure. Unfortunately MS doesn't provide a possibility for sending DISEqC commands via the BDA interface. Thus it has to be implemented device-specific. Currently we are working on it for the Nova-S Plus (after finally having received the specifications).

This is becoming a little too technical for me. The satellite system was installed by a company, as recently as a year ago. It is of course completely digital. That is all I know about it.

I do not know what a BDA driver is, but I do know that when I plugged in the Pinnacle USB device XP recognised the hardware and I let it install a driver for it, i.e. I did not install the Pinnacle driver (or any of their software for that matter). Are you suggesting I should uninstall the Windows driver? Then what?

So what can I do to get the thing working properly?

Luuk

Help, it is awfully quiet out there. Gigra, you suggest DVBViewer Pro has its own driver. I disabled the BDA driver which XP had installed, but when I do that the Pinnacle 400e no longer shows up under Devices (in Settings - DirectX).

I do like DVBViewer very much but its claim that it supports the Pinnacle 400e appears to be only partly true, or am I still missing something?

Luuk

Sorry for leading you in the wrong direction (?).

I know nothing about Pinnacle devices. All I have is some DVBViewer Pro code that deals with Pinnacle (non-BDA). It searches for a "Pinnacle PCTV Sat TS" device driver component and contains sending DiSEqC commands.

I disabled the BDA driver which XP had installed

Disabling it is not enough. Looks like the code wants to talk to an alternative driver - WDM type, I guess. WDM ist the former driver type (Windows Driver Model), that was used for DVB devices before MS came up with its Media Center Edition, that requires BDA drivers (Broadcast Driver Architecture).

Dunno if a WDM driver is available for your card...

• 4 months later...

Griga,

Your reply is a few months old now. I have switched back to the Nova S card but still cannot receive more than the channels on one satellite. Have you found a solution yet?

Should I perhaps buy another card. Are there cards out there that support more than one satellite under windows XP?

Luuk

What kind of LNBs?

A few days ago it was exactly the other way around.

Maybe you've used some other software that knows how to do the switching and left the device in that state.

where I use a Pinnacle 400e USB card

Is it running with a BDA driver?

AFAIK DVBViewer Pro contains code for using a Pinnacle device without BDA driver, including DiSEqC commands, that should do the Pos/Opt switching.

I used to have exactly the same problem with a Hauppage Nova-S card

The Nova-S was running with a BDA driver for sure. Unfortunately MS doesn't provide a possibility for sending DISEqC commands via the BDA interface. Thus it has to be implemented device-specific. Currently we are working on it for the Nova-S Plus (after finally having received the specifications).

Griga,

I just downloaded your latest GE version and I am glad to say multiple transponders ARE now supported. The only problem I have is with the sound on some channels which is heavily distorted.

Luuk

The only problem I have is with the sound on some channels which is heavily distorted.

Perhaps caused by strange sample rates. Tick Settings -> Options -> DirectShow -> Format Detection -> Audio.