DVB subtitle recording (again)

Mortten

First of all, as this is my first posting here; million thanks for the application! Value for money is extremely good. :(

I've browsed a lot of threads from various forums regarding DVB subtitles with Finnish national broadcaster YLE. However, so far I have not managed to record DVB subtitles. Teletext subtitles can be recorded, but viewed only with TS Player. But that's another story and well discussed in other threads.

My setup is:

Twinhan DVB-CAB CI

DVBViewer V3.2.6.80 with Twinhan drivers

TS Player 1.7

VR plugin 3.3

Cable operator Welho (HTV), brodcast of YLE

ABit AG-8, Pentium 4 3.2 GHz, 1 GB mem

I have tried recordings with all possible combinations of:

- Output format: TS (always)

- TS options: teletext and/or DVB Subtitles

- VR plugin and built-in recording engine

- timed and manual recording

When I try to view *.ts -file with TS Player, there is no indication of DVB sub whatsoever. Teletext subs do work, however.

When I try to view *.ts file with DVBViewer, View -> Show subtitles is not enabled by default. Whe I enable it, I can only select teletext (which does not work) and DVB subtitle selection is grey and not selectable. Sometimes DVBViewer freezes when I try to enable subtitles.

I have read that some people use VR plugin and "ghost channels" that masquarade YLE DVB subtilte PIDs as additional audio PIDs. But being a total newbie with DVB and DVBViewer I haven't figured out how to do that.

My newbie questions are:

1. Should it be possible to record dvb subtitles "as is" using TS output format or should I configure something manually?

2. If something must be manually configured, what and how? For instance, what PIDs should be configured as additional audio PIDs and how?

Thanks in advance.

1. Should it be possible to record dvb subtitles "as is" using TS output format or should I configure something manually?

2.  If something must be manually configured, what and how? For instance, what PIDs should be configured as additional audio PIDs and how?

1 Yes, just select DVB subtitles in settings\options\recorder\TS format options. The problem is that it will not work if recording will started before they are sending DVB subs (like in most cases when recordins are scheduled)

2 see the post in Finnish forum http://www.dvdplaza.fi/forums/showpost.php...2&postcount=415 and PIDs in Finland see http://www.dvdplaza.fi/forums/showpost.php...3&postcount=343

2.  If something must be manually configured, what and how? For instance, what PIDs should be configured as additional audio PIDs and how?

1 Yes, just select DVB subtitles in settings\options\recorder\TS format options. The problem is that it will not work if recording will started before they are sending DVB subs (like in most cases when recordins are scheduled)

2 see the post in Finnish forum http://www.dvdplaza.fi/forums/showpost.php...2&postcount=415 and PIDs in Finland see http://www.dvdplaza.fi/forums/showpost.php...3&postcount=343

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

:blink:

When I try to view *.ts -file with TS Player, there is no indication of DVB sub whatsoever. Teletext subs do work, however.

When I try to view *.ts file with DVBViewer, View -> Show subtitles is not enabled by default. Whe I enable it, I can only select teletext (which does not work) and DVB subtitle selection is grey and not selectable. Sometimes DVBViewer freezes when I try to enable subtitles.

I have read that some people use VR plugin and "ghost channels" that masquarade YLE DVB subtilte PIDs as additional audio PIDs. But being a total newbie with DVB and DVBViewer I haven't figured out how to do that.

My newbie questions are:

I have similar problems with DVB Subtitles and being through manuals, this forum and the Finnish forum I still haven't found an answer that works.

I am using a Technotrend Budget DVB-C rev. 1.0 and DVBViewer Pro 3.2.6. Everything else works well, including DVB Subtitles when watching channels. However, when I record or timeshift and try to watch those recordings afterwards, the DVB Subtitles do not work. And like in Mortten's case, the DVB subtitles selection is gray and can't be selected.

The strange thing is that the subtitles are being recorded and can be watched with VLC. However, the intention is to have a HTPC with easy timeshifting (press pause to stop the transmission, press pause to continue) using only DVBViewer and a remote control, so opening files with VLC is not very handy.

Another weird phenomenon that my knowledge of the technology can't explain is this:

- When I try to pause a transmission with DVB Subtitles the video and audio freeze, as they are supposed to, but the subtitles keep on playing in real-time on top of the frozen video. And when I press pause again, the transmission continues but subtitles still keep on coming from the real-time transmission. Any idea what this might be about?

So, two questions:

1) How come I can't playback DVB Subtitles in a recording or a timeshift-operation even though DVBViewer records them correctly?

2) Why do the subtitles keep on coming on top of a paused (timeshifted) transmission?

Thank you for help.

Ps. I've been trying to figure this out for two days now and the positive side is that I've read all the manuals and noticed that they are very well written. There are only a couple of - perhaps newer - options that are not explained in the manuals. Speacial thanks to Griga for Videorecorder manual that explained me the essentials of DVB-technology. Very well written. Keep on doing the good work and updating the manuals also in the future.

/PeterK

I never use timeshifting so I can't comment it. But the newest beta can handle DVB subtitles right on TS recording. If you have chosen to record all streams you can select both DVB and teletext subtitles on playback too.

I never use timeshifting so I can't comment it. But the newest beta can handle DVB subtitles right on TS recording. If you have chosen to record all streams you can select both DVB and teletext subtitles on playback too.

Here's a newbie question that puzzles me: Is the component that renders the broadcasted program to the screen different from the component that renders the recorded program to the screen? Because to me it seems hard to understand that the subtitles work when watching the program real-time but not when watching from a recording (or timeshifted file)?

And - just curious - if the components are different, why is that? Wouldn't it be easier to have just one "viewing" component that can take real-time broadcast stream or recorded stream as a "source"?

/PeterK