Just a few HTPC Enhancements

htpcman

Hi everybody,

This is my first post here altough I have been using DVBViewer and reading this forum for quite some time now (since version 1.9x) mainly as an application for watching (HD)TV.

I think this is the best and most stable solution available for the SS2. I have also tried other apps like Sceneo and MP but could never get the TV functionality to run at the same level of performance and stability in those applilcations.

It was only by accident that I stumbled accross the "htpc" functions in DVBViewer and after giving them a try I am quite impressed with the functions that are being offered especially now that the MCE remote is being supported.

To get to the point I have a couple of ideas that I think would enhance the DVBViewer "experience" further:

1) a "cross fade" for picture transitions as a 3rd option besides the "hard blend" and "random transition" would be nice. This would emulate the performance of a slide projetor.

2) In cases where one of the htpc menus is the main screen and the video image is displayed as a small instance in a corner it would be better to make the width of the video fixed instead of the height. Currently it seems the height is fixed so when a 16:9 video image is received it will cover some parts of the text in the weather screen for example.

3) In the thumb nail view of the music and image sections it would be nice to have a scrolling text of the currently highlighted item in cases were the available width of the text area of that item does not permit showing the full text at once.

4) Since most new TFT/Plasma displays use the 16:9 Format it would be nice to have htpc skins in 16:9 format.

5) Support for the "green button" on the MCE remote for starting the DVBViewer (Without the need to install a new driver...)

6) Support for the numeric keypad of the MCE remote for text input i.e. 2=ABC, 3=DEF and so on.This would make entering search criteria much easier for instance.

Please don't get te idea that I am not happy with DVBViewer I like this application a lot and I appreciate the work that has been put into it. It does just what I need and it is not overloaded with features not necessary for daily use. I hope it will continue to grow while retaining its stability. Another important point I would like to make is that DVBViewer does not impose a heavy load on my PC (except when watching HDTV) which is a definite benefit that keeps the PC cool and quiet.

Cheers

htpcman

2) In cases where one of the htpc menus is the main screen and the video image is displayed as a small instance in a corner it would be better to make the width of the video fixed instead of the height. Currently it seems the height is fixed so when  a 16:9 video image is received it will cover some parts of the text in the weather screen for example.

3) In the thumb nail view of the music and image sections it would be nice to have a scrolling text of the currently highlighted item in cases were the available width of the text area of that item does not permit showing the full text at once.

4) Since most new TFT/Plasma displays use the 16:9 Format it would be nice to have htpc skins in 16:9 format.

Did you already try my skin (can be downloaded from the members area)? This should solve these three points of your list.

1) a "cross fade" for picture transitions as a 3rd option besides the "hard blend" and "random transition" would be nice.

Oh yes, it would be *very* nice!

I double quote this request...