Occasional app hang

zeflash

Hi

I have DVBViewer running 24/24, and I used to have also meedio running alongside. In meedio I run scans of my video files every hour, and when the scan is occuring, I assume it takes up some resources (disk access, CPU) that makes DVBViewer hang for a while.

Usually if it doesn't last too long, DVBViewer can catch up and continue to decode the dvbs stream properly. But if it lasts a bit too long, then DVBViewer hangs for ever, never getting back alive.

I've tried to run it with a high cpu priority, but sadly it seems that this kind of freezing also happens when the dvbs stream has some error (my reception isn't too good sometimes on some channels, or when raining, icing, etc). And when that happens (dvbs stream corruption) then DVBViewer freezes so bad I have to reboot the PC because it won't let me do anything else.

So, I'm wondering if something could be done in order to detect stream corruption / lack of CPU in a better way, and maybe just pause the decoding until things are getting back to normal, instead of crashing.

Is this a reasonable request?

PS:

by the way I went back to use 3.2.4.1006 because those freezes were happening way more frequently with 3.2.5. I just saw that a new version was out, so I'm gonna test it out too.

Edited by zeflash

CPU: sempron 3100+, 1GB RAM

Video: ATI Radeon 9600

DVBS: SkyStar2, drivers B2C2 4.3.2 (29/09/2005) from technisat

DVBViewer: 3.2.4

Using NVidia mpeg decoder for both audio & video

Usual reception level shows around 68%

MPEG2 Video Decoders:

---------------------

Mpeg2Dec Filter: 40000002

NVIDIA Video Decoder: 00800001

DScaler Mpeg2 Video Decoder: 00800000

Sonic Cinemaster® DS Video Decoder: 00710000

Elecard MPEG2 Video Decoder: 00700000

InterVideo Video Decoder: 00700000

InterVideo Video Decoder: 006F0000

MPEG Audio Decoders:

---------------------

ffdshow Audio Decoder: 3FFFFFFF

Moonlight Odio Dekoda: 24111981

AC3Filter: 10000000

MPEG Audio Decoder: 03680001

NVIDIA Audio Decoder: 00800001

DScaler Audio Decoder: 00800000

InterVideo Audio Decoder: 00700000

InterVideo Audio Decoder: 006F0000

I'll wait for the next crash to happen to include the log

Edit: didn't take too long, here they are, all logs & the setup.xml file.

dvbviewer_log_files.rar

Edited by zeflash
it seems that this kind of freezing also happens when the dvbs stream has some error

Have you set Options -> DirectX -> Device to SkyStar compatible or Flexcop based? Try the latter.

Okay!!! I don't know if it's 3.2.6 or using the flexcop based driver, but it solved the problem real good, it's been running & multicasting for 12 hours straight without a problem (and with me running & stopping other programs in the meantime)

A big thank you! :)