Does it have this feature?

ArcticFox

Im very interested in buying DVBViewer as the software that comes with my usb stick is rubbish. Does DVBViewer have the ability to record when DVBViewer is not loaded?

I dont want to have to keep DVBViewer open while im playing a game just to record something.

Thanks.

Does DVBViewer have the ability to record when DVBViewer is not loaded?

Thanks.

It's kind of difficult for a program to run or do something when it's not loaded :)

But if your question is can DVBViewer run minimized (and record) when doing something else the answer is definitively yes. There's even a feature to completely disable A/V when recording so that CPU usage is minimal

Does DVBViewer have the ability to record when DVBViewer is not loaded?

Thanks.

It's kind of difficult for a program to run or do something when it's not loaded :)

But if your question is can DVBViewer run minimized (and record) when doing something else the answer is definitively yes. There's even a feature to completely disable A/V when recording so that CPU usage is minimal

Windows media center has a small program loaded in the background that records without MCE being loaded, but being able to minimise without a/v is perfect, looks like ill be buying DVBViewer soon.

Thanks

while im playing a game

uhm, pay attention to which game you may want to play meanwhile, it may heavily charge the cpu and/or disk and/or other resource, thus creating problem to the ongoing record... maybe DVBViewer can cope with this trough a big recording buffer (you can set it), but I don't think it can do miracles if your game eat all the CPU power...

:)

while im playing a game

uhm, pay attention to which game you may want to play meanwhile, it may heavily charge the cpu and/or disk and/or other resource, thus creating problem to the ongoing record... maybe DVBViewer can cope with this trough a big recording buffer (you can set it), but I don't think it can do miracles if your game eat all the CPU power...

:)

Dont wanna keep saying it, but MCE is fine no matter what game i play, it silently records in the background, but unfortunately MCE doesnt pick up all my channels whereas DVBViewer Transedit MMC demo jobby picks them up fine.

Hello !

So if MCE does it DVBViewer should do the same.

Minimized and A/V switched off, the Prozessorload ist ~3 on a 2000 MHz Processor.

What you can do with:

a little program running in the background is to use the scheduler / set up Windows TaskManager to handle ALL records.

It works just fine for me and does not load my Processor more than necessary.

With Merrits high / process priority higher than normalDVBVIWER records everything and I can use my PC normal with

Demultipexing/Cutting/Encoding and serveral other tasks at the same time.

(O.K. its an Athlon 3000 64 ; that helps :) )

With Merrits high / process priority higher than normalDVBVIWER records everything and I can use my PC normal with

Demultipexing/Cutting/Encoding and serveral other tasks at the same time.

Confirmed.

The only case where I have managed to ruin a recording so far was when (then 1 GB physical) memory was severely and deeply into swap (1.8 GB virtual memory allocated) *and* another application was working with that swapped memory *and* on top of that the CPU was massively pegged *and* on top of that A/V had not been turned off.

This was a most extreme situation and, frankly, I was surprised that this was the only thing that did not work perfectly. Typically software breaks much, much earlier.

Is there a way of turning A/V off without having to tick the disable a/v box in the recording settings?

i.e. Can i launch DVBViewer then tell it to disable A/V and just leave it minimised in the tray waiting for recording?

Is there a way of turning A/V off without having to tick the disable a/v box in the recording settings?

You can configure DVBViewer to turn off A/V on minimize ("Disable AV on minimize" in Preferences dialog).

Just tried this option and it is effective.

Just keep one thing in mind: The most time-consuming piece of the whole TV watching chain appear to be decoding the MPEG2 stream and then displaying it on screen.

Most modern graphics card provide hardware to assist in MPEG2 decoding and many MPEG2 video decoders make use of that.

Displaying the decoded data on screen consumes additional resources. Using Unchanged or Overlay surfaces has its limits (hardware-related), but is extremely fast. VMR surfaces are more generic and have fewer limits (i.e. multiple such surfaces can co-exist), but take more CPU resources.

In essence, you can tweak everything quite nicely. But unless you hit one of the limits of the rendering surface or absolutely need every single bit of performance for gaming, you even *won't have to* tweak DVBViewer configuration settings to make everything work.

From my point of view at 15 Euro this wonderful piece of software is an absolute bargain. Not much software I have used has had such a great return on investment.