Streaming; support for multiple devices ?

gibman

Hi there my fellow DVBsters!

I just bought myself the Yakumo DVB-t usb2 stick. I also have the ss2 dvb-s pci card.

I love to use the streaming features of this software suite, although I think it needs to support multiple devices just like the beta clients does. As it is now, DVBserver only supports one device at a time. Bummer.

When I look at the latest BETA client of DVBViewer, under options - hardware. Here we have one unicast entry, where you specify the DVB type for this current unicast connection. This leads me to think that even though you implement support for multiple devices on the server side, the client will still see the unicast device as either as a dvb- s, c og s device, not a mixture of all three - this could be nice though.

Ok, instead I tried the other scenario.

I tried to start 2 instances of dvbserver both with different port layouts, to avoid conflicts. DVBserver1 shares my SS2 card and DVBServer2 shares my usbstick.

The main problem is that when I click "start" on dvbserver2 I get the "no device" error in the debug window. Even though dvbserver1 should not lock my usb stick at all, since it should share ss2 only.

So it is currently impossible to run 2 instances of dvbserver.

Lets say that this was possible then I could perhaps modify the hardware.xml on the clientside in such a way that I get 2 unicast entries in the options-hardware dialouge.

One dvb-s unicast entry connecting to server at port : 2345

and the next dvb-t unicast entry connecting to server at port : 2346

This could have worked perhaps ??

Maybe I need 2 physical servers just to test the clientside with two unicast entries?

Is the implementation of multiple devices on the serverside on your todolist at all ?

As it is now, I have to do a lot of manual this and that to shift between the dvb-s and the dvb-t source both on the client and on the server.

btw. I think I just bagged you a lot of new customers today. I brought the app with me to work along with the usbstick and showcased it for them. They were in awe. Ofcourse they asked for a trial vers. I said this was it..hehe.

Anyways, this was offtopic.

Regards Elo.

Guest Lars_MQ

One server with multiple devices will get really complicated. In the Viewer you have a Multiple Source one Consumer scenario which works quite well. The server would be multiple source multiple Consumers and this mean a lot of trouble :bye:

We planed it as one server per source. This makes things nicer to handle. ;) There are still some problems we have to solve, this is why this server version is not public for now.

As for the multiple unicastclients in the DVBViewer. This should work. Well at least in theory :D One -t and one -s should be no problem. When I find the time I will test it.

In this italian tread there is a user that have a SS2 and a NovaDVB-T on one PC that stream together on a lan (but I dunno how many clients he connect...)

He did it starting 2 instance of DVBServer (installed in 2 separate folder with appropriate configuration, i.e. at least 2 different streaming port and different hw source...) and now he can switch from the client between the two card...

;)

Yeah this was the exact same trick I did also. Made a new DIR and put dvbserver.exe there along with alternative non-conflicting ports.

But my showstopper is that once I run the first instance of dvbserver.exe sharing my skystar2 card, then when I try to launch my second DVBserver.exe instance sharing my DVB-t stick I get the "no device" error when I hit the "start" button.

EDIT; hmm, it seems like I forgot to change one of the ports so I had a port conflict indeed, so if you guys out there get a "no device" then it just might be a port conflict.

So I now have 2 DVBserver.exe's running ;)

I made 2 unciast entries on the client by editing the hardware.xml file, this seemed to generate the 2 entries needed.

I have to catch up on my italian and read that thread, just for comparison.

@Lars; Nice stuff that you guys are working on the dvbserver - making streaming over multiple cards possible.

Regards Gibman

Edited by gibman

Ok it is working fine now. ;) ;)

My test scenario is.

1 server PC with 2 instances of dvbserver.exe running - each in its own DIR.

1 clientPC running DVBViewer with 2 unicast connections.

I can now change between DVB-s and DVB-t channels like there was no tommorow :huh:

Ok, I'll try and fix u a recipe here. You have to do a little XML file editing etc.

First make a new folder for that extra dvbserver;

ex. C:\Programmer\DVBViewer\dvbserver.dvb-s\

now copy dvbserver.exe from

C:\Programmer\DVBViewer\

to

C:\Programmer\DVBViewer\dvbserver.dvb-s

The dvbserver.exe that is being run from the main DIR "C:\Programmer\DVBViewer\" is sharing the dvb-t connection.

Ok, now run dvbserver.exe dvb-t setting it up with these ports;

server: 4012

unicast: 2345

device: flexcop based

hit start

Next you will need to run dvbserver.exe dvb-s setting it up with these ports;

server: 4013

unicast: 2346

device: your dvb-t device.

hit start

Both services should run just fine.

Now you need to grease your client a little bit.

Open your network.xml file

Make sure it looks like this .. substitute server with either your servers private IP adr. og local PC name.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<settings>

<section name="Unicast Network Device">

<entry name="DVBServerIP">server</entry>

<entry name="ServerPort">4013</entry>

<entry name="UnicastIP">server</entry>

<entry name="UnicastPort">2346</entry>

</section>

<section name="Unicast Network Device1">

<entry name="DVBServerIP">server</entry>

<entry name="ServerPort">4012</entry>

<entry name="UnicastIP">server</entry>

<entry name="UnicastPort">2345</entry>

</section>

</settings>

next open hardware.xml

Look for the unicast section.

As you can see, I have added a new entry here - the last unicast section.

Remember to use your own classID in both sections.

<section name="Unicast Network Device">

<entry name="Name">Unicast Network Device</entry>

<entry name="LowBandWidth">0</entry>

<entry name="TunerType">1</entry>

<entry name="Status">1</entry>

<entry name="InstID">Unicast Network Device0</entry>

<entry name="DeviceNr">1</entry>

<entry name="HasCI">0</entry>

<entry name="HasDialog">1</entry>

<entry name="SharedLNB">0</entry>

<entry name="UseHardwareFilter">0</entry>

<entry name="StopStream">0</entry>

<entry name="Priority">0</entry>

<entry name="Tag">0</entry>

<entry name="ClassID">{21A52359-EAA0-46AD-90E3-154E414DD30A}</entry>

</section>

<section name="Unicast Network Device1">

<entry name="Name">Unicast Network Device1</entry>

<entry name="LowBandWidth">0</entry>

<entry name="TunerType">2</entry>

<entry name="Status">1</entry>

<entry name="InstID">Unicast Network Device1</entry>

<entry name="DeviceNr">1</entry>

<entry name="HasCI">0</entry>

<entry name="HasDialog">1</entry>

<entry name="SharedLNB">0</entry>

<entry name="UseHardwareFilter">0</entry>

<entry name="StopStream">0</entry>

<entry name="Priority">0</entry>

<entry name="Tag">0</entry>

<entry name="ClassID">{21A52359-EAA0-46AD-90E3-154E414DD30A}</entry>

</section>

Now you can enter DVBViewer, hardware options. Verify that you now have 2 unicast devices to choose from. Also check that your unicast dvb-s source is connecting to the server at the appr. port and the same goes for the dvb-t unicast device.

Now you should be able to watch TV serviced my X number of dvbserver.exe's.

With this knowledge you can easily change it to 2xmulticast devices, instead of 2xunicast devices.

You can ex. add a third device - adding another dvbserver instance on the server.

Only your imagination sets the limitation here.

bye Elo.

Guest Lars_MQ
adding another dvbserver instance on the server.

As long as you remember there can only be one sourcetype ;)

The client can not see the difference between two dvb-s dvbserver one connected to one dish pointing at astra and one connected to another dish pointig at hotbird.

But dvb -s -t -c server instances (one of each) should work without problems.