Low Signal = hanging / low stability.

gibman

My problem is that DVBViewer 3.2.6 and 3.4.9.14 beta exibit the same stability problem.

When the signal quality of my Yakumo USB2 stick (with latest drivers 1.0.0.42 and 5.9.19.0) gets a little bit bad, then DVBV starts to show the expected mpeg A/V glitches/drop outs along with a 100% app hang - no cpu usage.

The artifacts are fine. But if I let it just stay there for about 30sec to 1 min, sometimes it takes 10 mins ... then DVBV hangs, forcing me to "end task" it.

It seems like it lost all contact with the dvb-t device.

The device is USB2 and my USB ports on my motherboard is USB2 enabled too - so bandwidth shouldn't be an issue.

If I make sure the dvb-t device has a better signal then DVBV does not hang.

When I search the forum regarding app hangs versus signal quality, then I can see that the general answer is "use a better antenna" - This leads me to think that DVBViewer doesn't handle low signal situations very well, which is bad IMHO.

I then decided to go and download the cyberlink powercinema trial version. Just to rule out that the BDA driver might be the culprint here.

Powercinema worked without any hangs, instead it showed a small but expected mpeg glitch here and there, not that often. But the great thing is that it never hangs on me. The stream error handling here worked ;)

Does DVBViewer have a stability problem when signal gets low ?

If yes, then in what cases ?

BDA enabled dvb-t devices ?

dvb-s devices also ?

My DVBV test scenario is a clean setup.exe install without anything else.

No unicast networking, just plain direct hardware access.

Using sonic and nvidia decoders with overlay- same result.

Using old dvbsource 2.4. Even tried newer 2.6.x even though it's not fully supported in pro version .. yet.

These hangs sure does rule out using DVBViewer in a public train on the road along with my dvb-t stick hehe. It is only working in high quality signal conditions (read: at home)

/Elo.

Edited by gibman
  • 1 month later...

I have also Yakumo Quickstick USB 2.0 and DVBViewer doing the same on low signal conditions. But i then try DVBViewer GE and it have some features to repair lost streams. The GE version dont crash in my case when signal is low - so it can be the solution.

The artifacts are fine.

Everybody likes this kind of modern digital art :arrow:

Make sure that you are using the latest DVBViewer Filter from the Members Area, Plugins Section, best with DVBViewer Pro Beta or DVBViewer GE... and don't forget to read the ReadMe.

Lately we experienced that decoders may crash / block due to discontinuities in the data stream, particularly the MS MPEG Audio Decoder, while the AC3 Filter proved to be quite stable in situations like that. Read more about it here... maybe it will help to try different decoders.