Does coreavc work with dvbviewer?

olliraa

Couldn't find the info anywhere... I've read that coreavc is the "lightest" h.264 codec available. I'm building a h.264 dvb-s htpc and really would like to use a software-based "outboard" system like Firedtv. I'm open to suggestions if ny plans sound like total *rap :bye:

Yes, CoreAVC works with DVBViewer, although I cannot watch live TV (while recorded stream are played perfectly). Maybe it's just my system tho! :rolleyes:

Also consider that HDTV H.264 transmissions will use DVB-S2 and not DVB-S.

What is the use of this filter, if you can't watch live transmissions? If you can playback ts_recordings you could try the streaming method :rolleyes:

..activate network streaming (unicast) in the DVBViewer-pro. Tune to a H.264/AVC transmission (e.g. HDForum on 13E). Open a url (e.g. http://127.0.0.1:2345 with DVBViewer`s default settings) in a player (vlc, elecard, mediaplayer classic) that uses the coreavc filter.

What I meant was that my system is not powerful enough to handle live broadcasts (or maybe DVBViewer Filter 2.4 is not optimized, dunno).

Perhaps, someone with a newer CPU could try it and tell us whose the fault is. :rolleyes:

What I meant was that my system is not powerful enough to handle live broadcasts (or maybe DVBViewer Filter 2.4 is not optimized, dunno).

Perhaps, someone with a newer CPU could try it and tell us whose the fault is. (w00t)

With amd x2 4400+ you get 30%-40% load for the currently available fta avc channels, when streaming from a demuxed h264-file. Picture is totally smooth and perfect, the filter is absolutely the best i have tried so far. Much faster than the hw-accelerated cyberlink decoder, for example.

Currently the only problem with live h264 stream of DVBViewer is that the CoreAVC filter for some refuses to operate with multiple threads, putting all load into one core. Don't know why. At least in my setup.

Anyways, the CoreAVC is going to have full ts-support in the near future. Until then, easier to play with files.

[edit] ok, it also works with live transmission normally with multiple threads. Just have uncheck the "use only first cpu" tag from DVBViewer options... :rolleyes: So, 30%-40% load also live.

Edited by emmel

Perfect, thanks. So I think it's just my system that can't handle decoding live streams. After all, with files CPU is at >90%, so there's no power left for DVBViewer. :rolleyes:

when streaming from a demuxed h264-file

What do you mean by demuxed? Video only?

Yes, demuxed from .ts into .264, which is video only. But then, you can of course remux the .h264 together with the audio into mp4, and play it with sound. My point was that the filter is not able to deal with ts directly, you'll have to extract and parse the h264 out of it.

[edit] To be more specific. this is what I do, given "rec.ts":

>mplayer -dumpvideo -dumpfile rec.264 rec.ts

>mplayer -dumpaudio -dumpfile rec.mpa rec.ts

>mp4creator -create=rec.264 -rate=25 rec.mp4

And then play rec.mp4 with DVBViewer, for example.

Edited by emmel