MPEG2 Codec Survey

Foxmul

Hi.

In order to get the best codec, I'd like to know witch one members are using with best performances.

I'm trying Sonic and Cybermaster ones, but I'm not too satisfied

Regards

Like many things in this unperfect world, there isn't a unique answer: it too hardly depends on witch HW configuration your PC have, on witch output you watch (TV or PC), on many other SW installed (S.O., HW driver, DirectX, ecc.) and also on various settings configurations... too may variables to guess...

...the only (and the best) way to know, is to experiment yourself on your PC, with your very eyes...

:bye:

Edited by Gioxy
Like many things in this unperfect world, there isn't a unique answer: it too hardly depends on witch HW configuration your PC have, on witch output you watch (TV or PC), on many other SW installed (S.O., HW driver, DirectX, ecc.) and also on various settings configurations... too may variables to guess...

...the only (and the best) way to know, is to experiment yourself on your PC, with your very eyes...

Thanks a lot, Gioxy. A only question in: how many codecs are available for DVBViewer? I'm glad to try and try, but by now I know only Sonic and Cybermaster... others???

regards

To cite only the most famous:

• NVidia (included in NVDVD)

• NVidia Pure Video Decoder (payware)

• Mediamatics (included in (old?) PowerDVD)

• Nero Decoder (included in Nero 6&7)

• Intervideo (included in WinDVD)

• Elecard (payware)

• DScaler (freeware)

But pay attention: stay away from "codecs-paks", they can easily destroy your DirecX environment... if this happen, you can solve only with a reinstallation from the scratch of the whole operating system!!!

To cite only the most famous:

• NVidia (included in NVDVD)

• NVidia Pure Video Decoder (payware)

• Mediamatics (included in (old?) PowerDVD)

• Nero Decoder (included in Nero 6&7)

• Intervideo (included in WinDVD)

• Elecard (payware)

• DScaler (freeware)

But pay attention: stay away from "codecs-paks", they can easily destroy your DirecX environment... if this happen, you can solve only with a reinstallation from the scratch of the whole operating system!!!

Thanks!

But for the codecs included in applications (as Nvdvd. powerdvd, nero, ecc), I have to install the whole application to get them? or there is a way to install codecs without install program?

regards

Hello !

@Foxmul

Stop talking about Codecs, because there aren't any for MPEG .

(O.K. there was an exception years ago, but do not bother)

We are talking abaout Direct Show Filters.

These can only Decode MPEG.

And they work slightly different than Codecs.

But the difference is vital for some system installations.

Did we mentioned Cyberlink (Included in PowerDVD)

InterVideo (included in Win DVD) ?

@Gioxy

100% ackn. to DO NOT install Codec Packs.

They are hard to get rid of, hence it is possible.

But for the codecs included in applications (as Nvdvd. powerdvd, nero, ecc), I have to install the whole application to get them?

Yes (unless you are a *real* computer guru), and you also have to pay for them...

@bergh

Ehm, sorry for to have forgotten Cyberlynk... :bye:

@Foxmul again...

Better than play around with every decoder we have in the hearth, is to configure at best what you already have, let's say "optimize" it...

There are many "hidden options" & settings to try, beginning with those you can access from the Decoder option menu (trough View->Filters->"filtername") and ending with the setting you can edit/add with Regedit...

..not to mention the strange hw/sw/driver/DirectX/options combinations, that can completely upset the results... to report only the last one that happens to me: I have a PIII933 PC with a Intel815 integrated (video) chipset that goes too jerky and without deinterlace at all: I had to search deeply in the Intel's technical docs to finally discover that I815 is DxVA capable only with refresh < 75Hz, and I had it connected to a magnificent 120Hz, 1280*1024 triniton monitor... so I simply set the refresh to 75Hz and now it goes like a charm, whichever decoder I can choose...

:)

@bergh

Ehm, sorry for to have forgotten Cyberlynk... :bye:

*** I am here to help ;)

..not to mention the strange hw/sw/driver/DirectX/options combinations, that can completely upset the results... to report only the last one that happens to me: I have a PIII933 PC with a Intel815 integrated (video) chipset that goes too jerky and without deinterlace at all: I had to search deeply in the Intel's technical docs to finally discover that I815 is DxVA capable only with refresh < 75Hz, and I had it connected to a magnificent 120Hz, 1280*1024 triniton monitor... so I simply set the refresh to 75Hz and now it goes like a charm, whichever decoder I can choose...

**** Welcome to the wonderful world of Bill Gates and Intel

:)

See under ***

OK

Let me play a game:

I have a whole PC for DVBViewer, so I have to configure it from the beginning.

After the WinXP pro SP2 and all the WinUpdates, which are the steps to follow?

Regards!

• 4 weeks later...
Hello !

@Foxmul

Stop talking about Codecs, because there aren't any for MPEG .

(O.K. there was an exception years ago, but do not bother)

We are talking abaout Direct Show Filters.

These can only Decode MPEG.

And they work slightly different than Codecs.

But the difference is vital for some system installations.

Did we mentioned Cyberlink (Included in PowerDVD)

InterVideo (included in Win DVD) ?

@Gioxy

100% ackn. to DO NOT install Codec Packs.

They are hard to get rid of, hence it is possible.

Maybe you are a bit confused. DirectShow filters can be both Codec or Decoder only or Encoder only. It depends how they are programmed. You are referring to the VideoForWindows/ACM interfaces as Codecs but those are just interfaces as much as DirectShow is. DirectShow is part of DirectX and has direct access to hardware and way lower latency than the older pre-DirectX legacy interfaces.

Edited by wingzero