VMR9 renderer

blackburn_

It is windowless if you use VMR9 in specific, otherwise (unchanged) it uses the windowed version.

Christian

Guest Lars_MQ

If it's vmr9 it uses windowless, if it's unchanged and XP it's using VMR7, otherwise vmr9.

What would you do with renderless oder windowed? renderless shows nothing unless you create a own allocator/presenter and windowed is as MS says depriciated....

I can't fight the feeling you don't exactly know what you're asking, but have seen it somewhere else completly out of context?

Actually I'm trying to find out why DVBViewer gives me a so much smoother picture than mediaportal :bye:

Ok full story:

HW: AMD X2 4200+@2450Mhz, 2GB RAM, Geforce 7600GT, FireDTV-T+FireDTV-S

I'm using the latest Nvidia PureVideo decoder (1.02-223) with DXVA on and the latest Nvidia beta driver 91.33.

In DVBViewer in Overlay mode the picture is as smooth as it can get, but I don't like the colors no matter what I do to adjust them. If I turn off DXVA (to be able to use VMR9 because of the Nvidia bug that makes the picture only appear in the top left corner) and still use overlay mode the picture isn't as smooth. I can't really see why since the cpu is no way near 100%, but obviously the gpu is making a very good job decoding and deinterlacing when dxva is on.

If I use VMR9 and DXVA on the picture is only in the upper 1/4 of the picture because of the Nvidia bug but it looks really good and smooth, and sometimes it works in fullscreen for a few seconds before the bug comes into effect, so I can tell that the picture is as smooth as in Overlay mode. (I have recorded clips from tennis, ice hockey and football which I find are the best sources to see how smooth the picture is)

This is really why I asked about which vmr9 mode is being used. Because mediaportal uses VMR9 renderless and the picture looks really good (and is not affected by the nvidia bug) but it's not as smooth as when using DVBViewer, so I guess VMR9 renderless demands a very fast gpu in order to get a smooth picture if it's not mediaportal that is badly coded. I thought a 7600GT (I've even overclocked it to 650/850) would be enough for all modes but obviously it's not enough for perfectly smooth live tv playback in vmr9 renderless (exclusive mode on or off).

By the way, are you thinking about implementing vmr9 renderless mode in the future? It would be very nice if one could choose which mode to use and I'm sure you guys would code it to be very effective and optimized.

Keep up the good work, DVBViewer really rocks!

Regards,

Håkan

• 3 months later...
By the way, are you thinking about implementing vmr9 renderless mode in the future? It would be very nice if one could choose which mode to use and I'm sure you guys would code it to be very effective and optimized.

Regards,

Håkan

I second that: renderless exclusive option may be a good idea, for those who have a hard time getting VMR9 working smootly in windowless mode

Edited by Zyknyp
Actually I'm trying to find out why DVBViewer gives me a so much smoother picture than mediaportal :bye:

Ok full story:

HW: AMD X2 4200+@2450Mhz, 2GB RAM, Geforce 7600GT, FireDTV-T+FireDTV-S

I'm using the latest Nvidia PureVideo decoder (1.02-223) with DXVA on and the latest Nvidia beta driver 91.33.

In DVBViewer in Overlay mode the picture is as smooth as it can get, but I don't like the colors no matter what I do to adjust them. If I turn off DXVA (to be able to use VMR9 because of the Nvidia bug that makes the picture only appear in the top left corner) and still use overlay mode the picture isn't as smooth. I can't really see why since the cpu is no way near 100%, but obviously the gpu is making a very good job decoding and deinterlacing when dxva is on.

If I use VMR9 and DXVA on the picture is only in the upper 1/4 of the picture because of the Nvidia bug but it looks really good and smooth, and sometimes it works in fullscreen for a few seconds before the bug comes into effect, so I can tell that the picture is as smooth as in Overlay mode. (I have recorded clips from tennis, ice hockey and football which I find are the best sources to see how smooth the picture is)

This is really why I asked about which vmr9 mode is being used. Because mediaportal uses VMR9 renderless and the picture looks really good (and is not affected by the nvidia bug) but it's not as smooth as when using DVBViewer, so I guess VMR9 renderless demands a very fast gpu in order to get a smooth picture if it's not mediaportal that is badly coded. I thought a 7600GT (I've even overclocked it to 650/850) would be enough for all modes but obviously it's not enough for perfectly smooth live tv playback in vmr9 renderless (exclusive mode on or off).

Regards,

Håkan

If you turn off DXVA (whether in PureVideo or PowerDVD or whatever MPEG2 decoder uses hardware acceleration) you will LOSE something very important called "Inverse 3:2 and 2:2 Pulldown". Smoothness of a video depend heavily on that feature and I don't think its has anything to do with Windowed or Windowless modes.

Try for example to read a horizontally scrolling line (news strips) with and without DXVA and you will find exactly how important is that feature when it comes to smoothness.

you can read about that in the technical brief PDF from nVidia and learn other benefits from using DXVA.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/TB_purevideo.html

By the way, the same feature could be found in both ATI and nVidia graphics cards.

SIDE NOTE: I always get the same exact high quality smooth VMR9 rendering no matter what application I use (I tried ProgDVB, AltDVB and DVBDream). But I liked DVBViewer the most for its speed, look and wide options).

This is my input.