Video stutters when DVB subtitles are displayed

tmo

I have noticed a little but unfortunately very irritating problem with DVBViewer Pro. What I have heard in other forums some experience this and some don't so... but here goes anyway.

When I enable DVB subtitles and DVBViewer window is active (i.e. has focus if using programming terminology) video stops for a while. This happens always shortly after a new DVB subtitle has been drawn for the first time (which makes me think that maybe next DVB subtitle "package" is received and decoded from TS then?). MPEG Source's statistics' irregularities count (or something similar) increases a little. If DVBViewer window is not active (i.e. has not focus) this stuttering usually disappears but not always.

I've tried all MPEG DirectShow filters I have (CyberLink, InterVideo, Nero) and WMV7, WMV9 and Overlay Mixer settings (changing this has helped some I hear). Didn't help.

I have MSI Mega Sky 580 (USB 2.0 DVB-T receiver) with latest drivers 1.5.0.2 or something similar, AMD Athlon XP 2500+ CPU, nVidia GeForce 6600GT (AGP8X) with 91.31 ForceWare drivers and DirectX 9.0c. I guess I should be OK what it comes to CPU and GFX power requirements (at least Windows TaskManager does not report CPU usage near 100% mark when video stutters).

So, have anybody else experienced this and can maybe suggest a solution or new things that I could try? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried Nvidia's Purevideo decoder? I had similar problems with my TwinhanDTV Cab CI until I tried Purevideo. It uses your 3D card in decoding so you get more power to your system. I have only 1200 Mhz Celeron and similarly to you, I had only 40-60% CPU load while watching with subtitles but still the picture kept stopping annoyingly until I installed the Purevideo decoder.

Here's a link to Purevideo page: http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder_1.02-223-trial.html

Hope this helps! :bye:

• 2 months later...

I'm experiencing the same thing, and also tried a lot of different filters - including Purevideo.

When broadcasts are without subtitles, nothing is wrong - with subtitles (dvb-t) a slight 'stop' occours each time the subs are drawn.

Indeed very annoying, since a lot of programs are with subtitles here in Denmark.

+ it is not increasing the 'Wife Acceptancy Factor' at all :(

I noticed a strange thing, though: When I stream the signal via DVBServer from the livingroom computer (the main HTPC, where the Nova tv card is installed) and view the broadcast on my office computer, everything is fine(!?).

Using this stream (Unicast) in DVBV on the livingroom computer (instead of grapping the signal directly from the tv card), I still have the 'stop' problem.

Something to do with the graphics card?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone? I was hoping for some "Premium Tech support" as stated in the Ordering section of DVBViewer.com... :(

This subtitle stutter problem is the only thing decreasing the WAF of my system (Meedio HTPC, intregrating DVBViewer for watching, timeshifting and recording TV, since it supports subtitles from DVB-t, which Meedio does not...).

Please, anyone....

Tmo: Have you solved your relating problem??

• 2 months later...
Anyone? I was hoping for some "Premium Tech support" as stated in the Ordering section of DVBViewer.com... :arrow:

This subtitle stutter problem is the only thing decreasing the WAF of my system (Meedio HTPC, intregrating DVBViewer for watching, timeshifting and recording TV, since it supports subtitles from DVB-t, which Meedio does not...).

Please, anyone....

Tmo: Have you solved your relating problem??

No, and the latest DVBViewer Pro version (3.6.0.2) still has the same problem.

I also tried DVBViewer Pro in my laptop (IBM T42p) and the same stuttering is still there. I wanted to check if the problem might be related to the nVidia display drivers but it is not because the IBM has an ATI Fire GL chip and ATI drivers. Neither is it related to the CPU because they are different too, AMD Athlon XP 2500+ vs. Intel pentium M.

I also tried the nVidia PureVideo MPEG decoder as suggested by someone but it didn't help either.

The NewSoft Presto! (which comes bundled with the MSI MegaSky 580) shows DVB subtitles OK and video does not stutter at all but it cannot record DVB subtitles so it is useless. Anyway this proves (at least in my opinion) that there's something in DVB subtitle handling in DVBViewer Pro that must cause this stuttering. I just have no way of knowing what's going wrong. What's really interesting in this stuttering is that it only happens when DVBViewer Pro main window, any of it's dialog boxes or its other windows (f.ex. EPG window) has focus i.e. DVBViewer Pro is "the active" application. This should give some kind of hint to DVBViewer Pro developers where to start looking for a possible solution. I guess that we (Nordic users) are not large enough group to waste development effort for because DVB subtiles are not used in Central Europe where the bulk of the users live and the debugging can be hard especially if you cannot use live proadcast to debug and/or cannot reproduce the problem.

Anyway, I hope that somehow sometime this issue will be solved.

I am willing to help developers as much as I possibly can to solve this problem. Just e-mail me instructions what to do, thanks.

Guest Lars_MQ

Try the usual suspects:

- uncheck VMR OSD Fix

- uncheck Nvidia fix

- disable dxva in the used decoder

- do not use the nvidia decoder

This problem is not reproduceable neither on my nor on christians system with the collection of samples we have. Since only few users seem to have this problem, it's most likely based on a combination of settings/system/dirextshow configuration.

oh and since nobody cared about the "How to post problems/bugs correctly:" section on top of this page, my above guess and suggestions are the best I do with nada informations.

• 6 months later...
..same problems when playing the TS with VLC ?

I have this this exact same problem.

No pause with VLC, but errors on picture at same time as DVBViewer have that slight but annoying pause.