Recording bug after 180minutes.

wingzero

It recorded a DVB-T channel for 180minutes (3hours 00minutes 59seconds) on a MPEG-2 PS file, the size of which is 3.931.842.876 bytes and it's fully playable.

Using an Hauppauge Nova-T 90002 and drivers version 2.5d , recording on a NTFS partition with 53GB free space left.

When it hit that file size DVBViewer, which was reduced to icon while recording,popped up all of a sudden with the video frozen and when I tried switching to any other channel nothing worked (no video on any channel).

Why ? There should be no time/file size limit while recording, also it seems that DVBViewer disconnected from the BDA drivers and stopped working completely. It didn't lock itself or crashed but it became useless and not working with the hardware anyway.

I closed and restarted DVBViewer and after that the hardware was correctly initialized once again and everything was working smoothly.

But I haven't bought DVBViewer to have a 180minutes time limit. I have plenty of disk space and I'd like to record as much as I want.

So, could you please fix this bug ASAP ?

Thank You.

setup.xml

support.zip

Edited by wingzero
Hello,

is it comprehensibly by a new recording sesson?

it's not a bug, normally you can make records to the disk is full.

Please post some more information:

http://www.DVBViewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2210

;)

I added the support.zip file as you requested.

I manually started the recording, it stopped that way as I reported all of a sudden. Sometimes on DVB-T channels there are some stream errors, could it be that DVBViewer stopped recording when it hit a bug in the stream being broadcasted ? I have seen an increase of errors on some multiplexers of a pair of networks recently in my area, but my standalone ADB I-Cann 2000 DVB-T decoder can deal with that correctly and keep streaming without losing audio/video synch.

The Hauppauge WinTV application keeps recording when that happens but audio/video go off-synch most of the time.

DVBViewer should keep recording anyway as well even if the streams gets corrupted from the broadcaster, shouldn't it ?

Edited by wingzero
Guest Lars_MQ

go options -> recorder and set the instant recording time to a higher value. that's normal behavior since version 3.0. normaly it's set to 23:59:00 hours. (1000 and something minutes)

go options -> recorder and set the instant recording time to a higher value. that's normal behavior since version 3.0. normaly it's set to 23:59:00 hours. (1000 and something minutes)

It's currently set at 1439 minutes. It shouldn't have stopped recording just after 180minutes approx unless minutes aren't counted as real minutes in your program code.

I set it to a value of 8000. I will report back if and when it stops recording again.

That said it still looks like a programming bug to me. The 1439 value it's way higher than 180 where it stopped recording all of a sudden.

Also, as I reported above, after the recording stopped DVBViewer couldn't connect to the BDA Driver anymore, or at least not correctly because whatever channel I switched to they all gave no data/no video, nothing. I had to close DVBViewer and open another session of it, then it worked as always.

Edited by wingzero
..it's not a bug, it's a feature :D though many users would be pleased if you could convince the programmer that it is a bug ;)

Sorry but.. if the recording timer it's set at 1439 minutes and the application stops recording after 180 minutes approx, how could you say that that's a feature and not a bug ?

If the application is set to stop recording after 1439 minutes then it should have kept recording and not stopped working completely. Is it a feature to have the application not working when switching channels ? Channel tuning stopped working after that, I don't think that's a feature as well, is it, perhaps ?

Something wrong with the way the program acted when it stopped recording all of a sudden, if it was programmed to do so then channel tuning should have kept working flawlessly, the video should not have frozen and the application shouldn't have become useless at that point.

The only condition the program should have followed was the 1439 value that was set by default but it stopped recording after 180 minutes approx as I already reported here, and the fact that the video was frozen and switching to other channels didn't work correctly since there was no data and streaming from any channel surely doesn't seem a program feature to me.

Edited by wingzero
Guest Lars_MQ

start an instant recording and check it in the timersdialog the ending time. it should be one minute before the starting time. If not stop the recording, reset the instantrecording time in the options dialog so the apply button is enabled and press apply and try again.

Does this happen every time after exactly 180 minutes?

Oh and don't mind derrick, we keep him around as a replacement in training for torben, you know, every forum needs it's troll giving comments about things without really knowing what he is talking about ;)

..maybe the more clever solutions for instant recordings known from VCRs for many years now are protected by patents. That could be a reason for this rather clumsy approach ;)

start an instant recording and check it in the timersdialog the ending time. it should be one minute before the starting time. If not stop the recording, reset the instantrecording time in the options dialog so the apply button is enabled and press apply and try again.

The values in timersdialog are correct.

However, I just checked the Options->Recordings->Instant Recording->Recordingtime(m) and the value it's always at 1.439

I tried changing it at a value of 2000, 8000, 6000. It doesn't matter, whenever I close and reopen DVBViewer it's always set at 1.439

I currently have a single Recording Directory set, a NTFS partition with over 53GB free but it shouldn't matter or is the program always forcing a Recordingtime(m) value estimated from the Recording Directories free space, perhaps ?

Does this happen every time after exactly 180 minutes?

It's the first time it happened since I bought your software, I haven't recorded up to 180minutes before. I will try again and report back if it happens again.

Edited by wingzero

I have same kind of problems, but not in recording. When I look View > Filters > DVB Source I saw that:

Video State: Not Connected

Audio State: Not Connected

Only restart DVBViewer helped. It could be that you have same problem and Its nothing todo with recordings.

"Not connected" means in this case, the DVBViewer Filter is not connected to a video and audio decoder. There is no direct data flow from a DVB device driver to the DVBViewer Filter (DVBViewer does several things in between).