Scheduled recording and unable to stop it.

antdude

Should DVB Viewer's scheduled recordings be able to be aborted/cancelled with its hotkey and button?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. See this forum thread for the issue.

• Yes, I want to use the hotkey and player's bottom button.
    • No, using DVB Viewer's scheduler is the way to go.
    • Don't know./Don't care.

Hello!

I was recording earlier with DVBViewer v3.5.0.1's scheduler (7:55 PM to 9:01 PM). I went ahead and tried to stop the recording before the ending time (I think like 8:57 PM or so) to end the current scheduled recording, but DVBViewer wouldn't stop (saw the Record button) recording via GUI, I even pressed its hotkey ®, but that didn't work either. It did stop recording at 9:01 PM, but that ended by DVBViewer's scheduler, not me.

I do not have this problem if I do a manual record or using time shift. I also never had this problem with DVBViewer T.E. before I got the Pro version.

Is this a bug? I am not sure if this is known or not. Thank you in advance. :)

Edited by antdude
Delete the recording in the Timer section.
Hmm, that would be annoying for repeating scheduled one (e.g., record my shows every week at that hour). :)

Is there another way to stop it?

disable it :) in the recordingwindow use the checkbox in front of each row. This will also stop the recording.
OK, I will try that. I hope once I uncheck, it stops recording. Then, recheck doesn't make it start recording again (hopefully it will know to record the next date/hour).

It would be nice if you can fix this problem for the next version. :(

This is not a problem. A recording is as long valid as the time fits. It's meant to be that way. If the recording time is over it will change to the next recording time (if it's a repeating timer).

This is not a problem. A recording is as long valid as the time fits. It's meant to be that way. If the recording time is over it will change to the next recording time (if it's a repeating timer).
To me, I think this is a bad usablity design (I test software and Web sites for living). Users should be able to abort the scheduled recordings without going to the DVBViewer's scheduler.

I made a poll to see what others think about this design.

You don't have to go to the DVBViewer scheduler, only to the recording window.

There is no other way, even a poll wont change it. But you could do a design, which takes into account

more than one recording on

- one channel (overlapping)

- serveral channels

- several channels/serveral cards

- manual and automatic recordings

- fail safes in case the computer restarts (given the viewer is in autostart).

I would love to see a solution with only one button :)

You don't have to go to the DVBViewer scheduler, only to the recording window.
Um, where's this recording window at? I know only scheduler (Recordign Settings) and the hot key to record ®.

it's in the DVBViewer menu (don't know the english label now), or you could use the OSD timerwindow.

the DVBViewer scheduler is an external program taking care of waking the computer for a recording

it's in the DVBViewer menu (don't know the english label now), or you could use the OSD timerwindow.

the DVBViewer scheduler is an external program taking care of waking the computer for a recording

I still don't see the one you're referring to in the DVD Viewer's window menu. I attached a screen shot. Is this the one or something else? A screen shot would be nice to find it if it is not it.

That's it.

Just to be clear: You want to have a single (hot)key to stop a scheduled recording instead of using the record settings window? As Lars already pointed out, that's hardly possible regarding simultaneous recordings. Which one would be terminated?

Just assign a hotkey to the record settings. There it's just one more click to terminate the desired recording.

That's it.

Just to be clear: You want to have a single (hot)key to stop a scheduled recording instead of using the record settings window? As Lars already pointed out, that's hardly possible regarding simultaneous recordings. Which one would be terminated?

Just assign a hotkey to the record settings. There it's just one more click to terminate the desired recording.

Ahh, hmm good idea on assigning a key for it. Maybe it already has one. I will have to look.

Did T.E. version have multiple recordings support? I don't think it did.

Since scheduled recording can't be stopped with hotkey and player button, the button should be greyed out and R should give a messae that this can't be done and user needs to go to Recording Settings.

Edited by antdude
the button should be greyed out and R should give a messae that this can't be done and user needs to go to Recording Settings.

Not possible and not wanted, cause R oder Recording button starts (and stops) a manual recording on the current channel.